Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2003, 06:28 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Orca

Here's a shot of the Orca I did for RC Boat Modeler Magazine last year. The model is 35" long and is powered by a Dumas 6V High Speed motor with a 2.5: MAS gear drive and a Hitek 6-10 ESC on 6 2000 mah cells. It's amazing to me, that with the popularity of "Jaws" that only about half the people who see the boat recognize it.
Pat
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2003, 10:55 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,825 Posts
Recognition

No wonder nobody recognizes it, there should be a huge model "Jaws" following and being towed by it. If you had a small tape recorder with speaker inside the hull playing "Da Dum"....... "Da Dum" and some panicky looking figures climbing the mast and running around the deck.........

I have a Sterling Century Seamaid about 3/4 built that will have a close to scale jointed model of "the Fonz" from "Happy Days" driving it or maybe skiing behind it with a Barbie driving.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 10, 2003, 09:35 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
E- I know what you mean, I'd love to find a bunch of figures, but at that scale there's just nothing out there.
Now, on your Sea Maid project, if you use Barbie as the pilot, and someone askes you what Barbie is doing with a boat like that, DON'T answere the question like I did! I have a "Skateboard Barbie" driving my Dumas Cobra, and a lady asked me once what Barbie was doing with a nice boat like that, so I told her it was "Divorce Barbie", it used to be Kens boat. BAD ANSWERE, I thought she was going to throw me in the lake!
PAT
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:44 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by P. Tritle
E- I know what you mean, I'd love to find a bunch of figures, but at that scale there's just nothing out there.

PAT
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

Tritle, You could still mock of some sort of shark sillouette and stick a yellow barrel in it and drag it around the pond.

The neat part would have the Tow line on a small winch, and it would winch the shark closer and closer to the boat.
Then the shark could breach the water on to the boat.
You could then pull a scuttle plug, and partially sink the boat.
Blowing up the shark would be extra. (carbide comes to mind)

Then you could close the scuttle valve pump the water and refloat, and reset the whole sequence

We used to have a Flower class corvette that we would
Have a boat sail past, and set off a fire cracker. After the "bang" the captain of the Corvette would pull the plug. When the water came in the pump would start up and shoot water out the side of the boat as it sank. The ship would sink bow first till the propeller was spinning high and dry. After a minute or two the scuttle valve was shut, and the pump would refloat the ship.

People loved that little skit. 8)
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:56 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,825 Posts
Carve Your Own People

I carved two bikini chicks, a couple of crewmen and a grandpa and grandma out of medium hard balsa bits, painted 'em with testors enamels, they look reasonably nice on my 48" Sterling 63-foot Motoryacht. Also made deck aft furniture from mahoghany sheet etc., and added dollhouse miniature magazines, soft drink cans and a sandwich plate. The little portable tv with a piece of 35mm slide and gow bulb gives a pretty good impression of color tv. I really went nutz hollowing out deck lights and searchlights and making mast lights with GOW bulbs. I made the searchlight swivel with a mini servo, turns on and off with a microswitch at one extreme position. I have a bunch of microswitches actuated by those little brass gizmos to sequentially turn on running lights, aft deck lights, and cabin lights. I get the motoryacht out once a year to amuse the kids at the 4th of July picnic. I arranged a DPDT toggle switch to get reverse out of the old AF speed control. Power is an old Leisure 20 brush motor with 12 1.2 amp nicads. Glad to see Dumas is producing some cabin cruisers.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:06 PM
Mostly harmless
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
382 Posts
Hey Pat,

What scale is this boat and are the plans still available?
Capt_Christo is offline Find More Posts by Capt_Christo
Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:36 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Capt, The Orca is about 1/14 scale at 35" LOA. The plans are available. Shoot me an e-mail at patscustommodels@aol.com and I'll fill in the blanks.
PAT
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:10 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
PAT
http://www.bow-wave-models.co.uk/pag...Maq%20Figs.htm
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 17, 2005, 07:50 AM
Joined Feb 2005
81 Posts
The Orca is awesome Never attempted a scratch build project, is it one you'd recomend for my first scratch build? Where can i find the plans for it?

Thanks
Derek
blackdogaviation@yahoo.com
dds7197 is offline Find More Posts by dds7197
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:26 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Derek, The Orca is not "hard" to build, it's just alot of building if you add all the details. The plans are detailed enough that you don't have to work out all the kinks on your own. If you have built a couple kits, I'd say go for it. Drop me a line at the address in post #7 and I'll fill in the blanks.
PAT