HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Bixler motor?

Hello everyone. First time poster here.

My wife gave me a hobby king bixler for christmas and I tried to test the motor for the first time last night. When I hooked the battery up to the motor it made a grinding noise and started to smoke.

When I turn the shaft with my fingers it feels like I am turnig a grinder. Did I get a bad motor?
wehrwolfzug is offline Find More Posts by wehrwolfzug
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
Don't let the magic smoke out!

OK, seriously, if your motor started to smoke, something is terribly wrong. Bixler is a motor glider that takes a 2620 Brushless Outrunner but it doesn't specify which one.

To use such a motor, you need an electronic speed controller (ESC). Hopefully you know this already and you did use ESC but didn't mention it in your post.

A good brushless motor will 'rachet' when you turn it. This is caused by the strong magnets inside. When you say 'grinding' that implies to me that parts inside are rubbing, either:
1. the magnets in the bell (outer part that turns) are touching the stator (inner star shaped part that sits still)
2. the bell is touching the windings (wires around the stator).

If the parts are rubbing, then you must fix this before you can use the motor.

If you are using ESC, please tell us the make / model of the motor and the ESC. A photo would be great, but not required.

hope that helps
Rex A Lott is offline Find More Posts by Rex A Lott
Old May 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrwolfzug View Post
Hello everyone. First time poster here.

My wife gave me a hobby king bixler for christmas and I tried to test the motor for the first time last night. When I hooked the battery up to the motor it made a grinding noise and started to smoke.

When I turn the shaft with my fingers it feels like I am turnig a grinder. Did I get a bad motor?
Is your bixler the RTF version. In other words did it have the motor and electronics alreAdy installed?
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old Feb 28, 2014, 02:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
How did you connect the motor to the battery? My money isonthe motor smoked. The motors need a speed controller to operate. They are a/c motors even though they aare powered by batteries.
Bigron is offline Find More Posts by Bigron
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:18 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,193 Posts
When I hooked the battery up to the motor

If you had no ESC you basically had a dead short... but then how would you have connected two wires from the battery to the three wires on the motor???

If you did have an ESC in line, then what size prop were you using... too big a prop or the ESC incorrectly programmed and the motor could stall and fry.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 01, 2014, 11:30 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,765 Posts
It might be a bit late to reply, no activity from the OP in 18 months.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Mar 01, 2014, 11:33 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,193 Posts
Missed that!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi