Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2003, 06:21 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Weeeee! My creation flies!

Those of you who hang out on IRC will probably know I've been working on a large winged e-flyer for 1 week now. Actually, most of the week has gone by waiting for the rain to stop so i could maiden the thing.

I got a tip from Ade to start with the wing, so I did and decided to go with the Clark Y as I wanted it to fly slow with lots of lift.
I was originally aiming for about 1.2 to 1.4 meter wingspan but I quickly realized that I wanted a flat mid-section. Result was a wing measuring 1.7 meters!

Wing data is as follows...
Weight of wing: 100g (3.57 oz)
Span: 1.7 m (67")
Chord: 20 cm (7.9")

Then I made the fuse and tried to get it a bit shorter than the "golden rules" said as I didn't want it too large.

It ended up looking like this:

(Click on image for a much larger and higher rez image.)

AUW with my 8-cell Sanyo 600AE battery: 456g (16.3 oz)

I had to wait for many days before finally I got a day without rain!

In the first flight video I had mounted a simple landing gear with two drops of epoxy. Amazingly it held!!!
http://www.unixcore.com/~kreature/im..._flight_01.avi
(12 MB, DivX 5.0.5)

The first flight(s) uncovered too much angle on the horisontal stabilizer. I had to use a lot of down elevator to compensate to get level flight. So... I wendt home and fixed that.

Second flight had a new prop and a new landing-gear to give better clearing. The new gear was basically the old gear mounted on a set of struts to lift plane a bit more up. The new prop gave more power and it also helped to take off from asphault instead of fine gravel... U can see for yourself what happened under landing. (I guess I need more patience.)
http://www.unixcore.com/~kreature/im..._flight_02.avi
(14 MB, DivX 5.0.5)

U can get the latest DivX with no ads, fees or spyware (as of writing) here: http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX51Bundle.exe

Waddya think ??? Is it flying slow enough ? hehe
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2003, 10:54 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I can't DL the vids on my dial-up, but congrats on getting her flying! It's fun to come up with something on your own and actually get it to fly, a lot more fulfilling than a kit or ARF

That is one whopper of a rudder! You could darned near flat spin with that much surface area I bet. How sensitive is it on turning?
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 03, 2003, 12:02 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
I can't DL the vids on my dial-up, but congrats on getting her flying! It's fun to come up with something on your own and actually get it to fly, a lot more fulfilling than a kit or ARF

That is one whopper of a rudder! You could darned near flat spin with that much surface area I bet. How sensitive is it on turning?
My thoughts exactly. Give!

Sweet looking plane, man! I've just seen the vids. Definitely some springier landing gear are in order.

I bet you could fly that indoors no problem!
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Last edited by Mikey C.; Nov 03, 2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2003, 05:22 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
At leaest, the wheel is GWS! Thanks.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 03, 2003, 05:50 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Very nice

What motor do you have in it? It sounds like it's screaming but the plane is flying slow and smooth.

With a little tuning, it looks like a great camera platform..

Nice job.
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Nov 03, 2003, 08:10 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Thats got to put a smile on your face!! Very nice!
There are very few things that are more satisfying than flying one of your own creations. Have fun!

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Nov 03, 2003, 02:25 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Tres Wright:
The airspeed is so low that rudder hasn't too much effect. It's like u input rudder, then wait for something to happen...
U notice I put nose a bit down to gain speed before doing any of the sharper turns. That helps a lot on the control.
Stall speed is calculated to about 9 mph.

GWS4CEO:
Yes, wheels are 2" GWS type ultra light wheels. They did not take any damage in the crash, but after the first testflight I had already lost the rubber on one of them so I removed the other for equality. They should definately have the rubber glued to the wheel! I got some new wheels today, some much thicker ones as it turned out that weight was not an issue. The thicker wheels will not wobble that easily on the hub. (for 4mm shaft)

Rip-N-Burn:
The motor is a speed 300 with a falcon prop (4.25x2") in direct drive. It was a biig mistake using that exact motor. I forgot to put in a new one. The motor in the plane had been worn out already and was just put there to look good on the pictures I uploaded. I simply forgot to change it!
After that last vid it basically gave up and u could hear metal-scraping as one brush was 100% gone.
I have now installed my brushless MiniAC 1215/16 in it and will try it with a planetary gearbox 3.33:1 from MPjet. (Hope it works as it's really for a speed 400, but the holes line up and the shaft is 2.3mm...) I am hoping to use it for slow and nice in-flight videos.

KLH:
Loving every minute. The most fun part was smashing the gear!
Old Nov 03, 2003, 09:51 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
On request I have now made some cut versions of the two flights.
Theese are with only takeoff, and landing with a bit of flying inbetween. They are compressed a bit more than th eothers and should be first choice for dialup users.

http://www.unixcore.com/~kreature/im..._flight_01.avi (2.6 MB)
http://www.unixcore.com/~kreature/im..._flight_02.avi (2 MB)

I also made a high-rez and cut version of video 2. It will take some computer-power to play nice, but shows details much better.

http://www.unixcore.com/~kreature/im..._hirez_cut.avi (12 MB)