SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:57 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Thanks,

It's fun to build and see the result, using torpedo's at this scale is a different ballgame, it took some tinkering to get it working.

Next step would be, how she would behave when firing underwater, did again a test to see what would happen, one torp went smooth, the other did not fire, the launched one gave me enough info from the underwater vid to show she can vent the gas quickly.

Type 212 part 11 (2 min 49 sec)

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2006
460 Posts
The front hatch appears to be open upon submerging. You are relieved of command pending captains mast. Neat torpedo.
TugFan is offline Find More Posts by TugFan
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
In the past i allready did one attempt to get me some lights on the 212, due to it's scale i wanted to use fiber optics, the first attempt proved to be a failure, too heavy and the optic fiber wasn't flexible enough.
So i did a next try, removed the protecting sleeve from the optic fiber and started over again, this time with better results, still working to refine the process.

The front nav lights, at first i had a problem with the amount of light leaving the optic fiber, the solution was, first heat it up, bent it 90 degrees, and then make the cut, by slighty heating the end you can make a lens.

I still have some problems getting enough light out of the white toplight, now all white lights run on one bright white led, want to split up the fibers and devide them between two bright white leds.

If you wonder why i didn't use SMD leds, due to the use of optic fibers i don't have the problem of electric corrosion on the connection onto the WTC, most tricky part will be, making a optic connector which will work, it can be done.

Manfred.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Manfred,
I am not asking why you don't use smd LEDs, I am living the nightmare! - LOL
I may have to try your method on the next sub!
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Tom,

Instead of all those electric connections entering the WTC, i've got only one, it could be done with SMD leds, but all those wires could mean points of failure, which you don't have with optical fibers.

Made the optic connector and did some testing it's looking promising, pictures.

At first i had some problems with the fibers, they were heavy and not very flexible, solved that by removing the protecting sleeve, i will seal them off with paint against lightleaks.

This is the optic connector i've made, it contains four leds, two white, one green and one red.
The middle thingy is a magnet which will hold the other part tight.

The other part which holds the ends of the optic cables, i've splitted the white lights into two, and a seperate one for the rear upper navlight.

After placing the right resistors and making the electrical connections i could do my lighttest, you can see all different colours which i want to use.

I also made some brass rods for guiding the other connector in the first fase of connecting, once this done the magnet will take over.

The result sofar, i succeeded in getting more light at the upper navlight, now i have to make the electrical connections watertight, and find a place to get the magnetic switch in.

Also made a vid to show how things work in the real live, enjoy.

Type 212 part 13 (5 min 10 sec)

Manfred.