HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:45 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
6 cell static with hk carbon 16x8 test today, so how much prop will the little 1112 take on 6s? model weight at 1800g, and fragile chinese glass, batteries cheapies, current to stay under 100 amps?
Stripped everything out of the fuz today, noticed small crack between posts at tail, very thin back there. only 6 flights now.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:50 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Luna update

If anyone is interested....personally I am waiting on the next update on the f3x scary e thread. Anyway I think I am finally happy with the weight distribution of this plane. Got the tail servos out of the way leaving plenty of room for battery position. Have also decided to use a seperate life rx pack, because I can't make my mind up on a good bec? Sevos are good for 6v. Two test flights and you know I think the cg was a little aft very windy though, hard to get a good read on it, and finally a tail inspection showed further cracking and movement of the right tail feather, so I packed it up and headed home again.
So as a sloper I reckon this would be a good plane so far as weight goes, I am over 1900g, if I had to do it again, as a cheap sailplane, I reckon the typhoon might be the go, but I am not sure cheap will take you far....nearly forgot some rfm 16x17 on the way too
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:12 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,390 Posts
Typhoons are junk, from the pics the the luna looks much nicer.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:47 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Right, haven't seen one up close. The luna as an electric has been a bit of an ordeal to balance given the v-tail servos mid fuse, but I think i am there now. i have a 1509/1.5d that could go in it now, but as you can see, still only with low power testing I already have issues of strength showing up. I reinforced the nose, now it is time to do the tail, and probably around the new servo cut out too.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:12 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
821 Posts
I hear you, about the fuse strength.

I disregarded cracks in the back of fuse, thinking they were just surface coat cracks.
I had about 150 flights when suddenly fuse snapped mid air.
When I think about it now, I could of saved it, but didn't realize it was so close to the end.
First indicator something was wrong I felt rudder being mushy, so instead of bringing it down nice and easy I tried more rudder and elevator.
When it came down it hit the ground pretty hard. Fuse is broken in 3 pieces. Wing has a chunk missing right in the middle. I might fix it (new fuse) some day, but am still mad at it.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:36 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Oh no. Sorry to hear. I will be cautious, given your experience. I have really not flown it hard at all and only 8-10 short flights.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:44 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Tail repaired, two flights today, happy, still find it a bit slow though, is that just the mh32?
Last edited by mustflynow2; Apr 01, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2013, 01:39 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Half a doz good flights on a trip away, 5s and 16x17 rfm slim doing the job of getting those rpms down. This is from an inflight log during the middle of a climb, prop not stalled at all. My question is how poor are my cheap batts?
The tail is rock solid and no other issues apart from what was an otherwise good landing catching some hard dry cow dung and marking the underside of the wing. I'll post a pic soon might explain more.
Last edited by mustflynow2; May 29, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:11 AM
Joined Sep 2004
11 Posts
Luna/Riot Power

I went thru your build. Kudos to you for persistence. I have been flying an Inertia for sometime. I started with a 540 watt Ammo inrunner with Great Planes 4:1 gearbox. With RFM 15x15 prop and 4S I was showing 1,100 watts. Made for a fast flyer. Motor lasted for awhile with 3 second climbs. One full throttle low level pass smoked it. I then tried a Suxfly 3650 in-runner and 5S and a RFM 16x17 slim. It was supposed to make 2,800 watts. Wouldn't do it. Showed 1,600 watts and 95 amps. Motor got smoking hot and heavy. In a tight turn the plane snapped and spun like a Frisbee. Recovered and got it down. By the way this motor had a Kontronik 5:1 gearbox. I am now in the process of installing a Neu 1115 1.5D. This is a 28mm motor and lighter than the 36mm Suxfly. Same Kontronik 5:1 GB, but going to a Nano-Tech 5S A-Spec 2200Mah. A HK Red Brick 200amp has been ESC of choice so far. This should be a lighter power system with more power. By the way I was using an Astro Flight Watt meter, but some engineers at the Great American ESC company said they use a Fluke Clamp On True RMS amp meter to get accurate amp draw figures. I hope to get 1.5 second climbs to altitude, lighter weight and no snap rolls on tight turns. I will get a friend to post pictures new Neu motor installed and accurate power figures published. Drag racing for altitude is a BLAST!
Bob Billa is offline Find More Posts by Bob Billa
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:06 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
G'day bob, couldn't help but notice only one post and you joined 2004? Yep bit of effort with the luna and would probably do a few things differently if I was to start over. Cheap turnigy servos would go as They are heavy, but have given no trouble, a higher kv motor to drop a cell or two and reduce more weight. I like the idea of high voltage and low amps but the luna is really a sailplane first unlike your inertia, the wing section is slower and would do better as more of an all rounder/thermal ship, so a lighter build would suit it I feel, really a sloper first rather than e-fus, just my thoughts. Anyway your inertia? You should read the Hawk f5b thread, if you haven't

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678027

Sounds like you gave the ammo heaps, was it the 2845-3600? If so I too have one running 13x9 4s and getting a comfortable 750 watts surge, presumably around 600w constant so at spec. You reckon I could prop up a little maybe 14x10 but not 15x15! That suxfly was a buggy 540 motor yeah, must have been heavy! But the neu sounds like the ticket. Same kv as my 1112/1y but with a 5.1 reduction, sounds good, prop? I am presuming my hyperion emeter is reasonably accurate, have never had any equipment failure due to it so happy enough.
Look forward to your pics and stats n flight reports, cheers Brendan
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2004
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
G'day bob, couldn't help but notice only one post and you joined 2004? Yep bit of effort with the luna and would probably do a few things differently if I was to start over. Cheap turnigy servos would go as They are heavy, but have given no trouble, a higher kv motor to drop a cell or two and reduce more weight. I like the idea of high voltage and low amps but the luna is really a sailplane first unlike your inertia, the wing section is slower and would do better as more of an all rounder/thermal ship, so a lighter build would suit it I feel, really a sloper first rather than e-fus, just my thoughts. Anyway your inertia? You should read the Hawk f5b thread, if you haven't

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678027

Sounds like you gave the ammo heaps, was it the 2845-3600? If so I too have one running 13x9 4s and getting a comfortable 750 watts surge, presumably around 600w constant so at spec. You reckon I could prop up a little maybe 14x10 but not 15x15! That suxfly was a buggy 540 motor yeah, must have been heavy! But the neu sounds like the ticket. Same kv as my 1112/1y but with a 5.1 reduction, sounds good, prop? I am presuming my hyperion emeter is reasonably accurate, have never had any equipment failure due to it so happy enough.
Look forward to your pics and stats n flight reports, cheers Brendan
Hi Brendan. Thanks for your reply. I haven't posted much because I am very dumb when it comes to the internet. I'm going to get my son to help me. He is 32 and I am 61 so he has more net savvy, better eyes, better reflexes. But I can still model better than he can! I'm real good with a Dremel, glue, measuring and soldering. Yes it was the 2845-3600. It was waaaaay over amped!
Bob Billa is offline Find More Posts by Bob Billa
Last edited by Bob Billa; Apr 29, 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: error
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:33 AM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
494 Posts
Any updates on this plane, it has my interest.
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:56 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Yeah kind of. Still flying mine. I see hobbyking have stock at the moment.
My revelation has been that my motor I was using was probably not what it was marked as. Instead of the 1112/1y it may well be a 1115/1y, although the kv still isn't a direct match. Finally decided to measure it and found it to be 3000.
Anyway explains the overweight issue and the lower kv performance when used with 4s.
I ordered a 1115/1y and when it came it was identical to what I already had, the marked 1112/1y. Same measured kv at 3000 and same weight at 243g and same appearance inside the back of motor. Having contacted Steve Neu, he explained the 1112 and 1115 use the same external housing, but there should be more space in the back of the 1112, which was not the case. Also an orion flyer using a 1112 weighed his at 217g obviously less. As I haven't returned the motor to Steve to check as this is the only way he can be sure, I knew something was up right from the start due to weight and performance.
So I probably stand corrected, throughout this thread regarding my motor and its identification.
All that being said I reckon now a 1110/1y at 4550kv for 3/4s and 190g would be a nice balance for this plane, if you are thinking about it
Last edited by mustflynow2; Sep 15, 2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:48 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
for now, but soon bf
Luna PP (5 min 33 sec)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:18 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007