Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:52 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Actually I run two parallel 3s 2200s on my two warmliners. That makes 4400 3s battery. Gives about 3:30 mins with full throttle. One climb is about 4-5s with the F5B so plenty of climbs. If you have high C batteries why not with one but half the run time. I am not (yet) used to high or extreme performance models so even with this setup the F5B is almost scaringly fast by my standards and climbs like a rocket at maybe close to 100km/h vertical speed.

By motor calculators this particular motor is the most powerful cheap Chinese outrunner in its class. The internal resistance is only half of the second best.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:46 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
The F5B is actually the model I wanted for quite a while. When HK released the Luar though, I jumped at it instead, as i liked the 4 servo wing and v tail which gives me an effective rudder. Am I the only one who really likes rudders, even on models like this?

A freind of mine bought one of the F5B's from HK. Will be interesting to fly the two together.

I think it's time I started pulling the stuff together for my model. I'm thinking about this 3648 850kv motor on 4S2200 and a 14xsomething folder

Anyway Brendan, you must be nearly ready for flight? Anything to report?

Sub.

hey sub how's it going, just checked your blog, the fpv cub is progressing, nice instrument panel!

I guess when you don't hear from someone having completed a build, the presumption is probably that the maiden didn't go so well. sad to say my luna is still a wall decoration, or is that a good thing, I think it is the longest that I have sat on a model ready, pre flight. At my last post I could have flown it, yet I haven't been out of town in the last month and the weather has not been that favourable and for whatever other reason, it has been put aside. Actually I have maidened a foam spitfire that I am happy to fly at the local park, so some flying has been done, but you don't want to hear about that. Although I will say this recent nice spring weather has brought out every kid and his soccor/football and dog and jogger etc clogging up my flying oval, and I s'pose cricket will be next. need to join a club!

glad to hear you are itching to get going, I have one of those motors unused, haven't even tested it, the only thing I can say is hk's weight description is wrong as my scales show, but that weight should be a good choice, remember my motor was at 232g and I was finding it hard to get the cg back past 85-90 mm. Ah the price of a rudder, check out the second pic, I am not sure where I found this pic now, but I think it was a larger model. If this could be done it would free up the fuse for battery movement and add a little weight at the tail too, those f5b ships off course only have the one servo in the tail so no prob there.

so are you going to bubble the fuse for the outrunner wires, B12 style, I think it is a great idea. I mentioned the hyperion motors once before with the tapered noses, I think one of these might fit without mod, so long as you could hold the wires out of the way. they use soft silicone wires too. but the best fit and performance will of course come from a geared high kv inrunner. I really don't think my direct drive low kv inrunner is the best choice as it won't have the torque an out runner has to drive larger props. sigh

well good luck I'll be here and will let you know when my luna flys, hope to see lots of pics on the build too BP
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:17 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
Actually I run two parallel 3s 2200s on my two warmliners. That makes 4400 3s battery. Gives about 3:30 mins with full throttle. One climb is about 4-5s with the F5B so plenty of climbs. If you have high C batteries why not with one but half the run time. I am not (yet) used to high or extreme performance models so even with this setup the F5B is almost scaringly fast by my standards and climbs like a rocket at maybe close to 100km/h vertical speed.

By motor calculators this particular motor is the most powerful cheap Chinese outrunner in its class. The internal resistance is only half of the second best.
how far back are you pushing your batts B12. those mid fuse mounted servos are a prob with the luna, I guess that is why a higher voltage is attractive. A tail servo mount would be ideal as with the f5b planes perhaps another possibility would be to upen up the fuse behind the wing, at least giving more room to slide batts back. I got to fly mine and check this cg business out
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,007 Posts
Hey that Spit looks cool. Would make a really intersting Scale FPV aircraft...

On motor choice, I could go with the HK 3648, but what would a decent high Kv inrunner and gearbox set me back and where would I get it noting that I'm in Sydney? Would one still look at 3S to power it, or would you go to 4S or bigger?

All I really want to do with this though, is stooge around. I don't need or want 3kw (I think), just enough to get me to altitude, and come swooping down fast. Do you need lots of weight on board to do that? Surely that high dollar power system becomes redundant once the nose goes down, right?

I know Stuff-all about hotliners and am finding it hard to reserach. None of my RC mates fly them...
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Sub, I guess my comments regarding motor choice are made in relation to ease of fit and gaining good cg movement for varying conditions. Rob's cg comments are right on I feel, ie from 90-110. I certainly can't get back to 110mm with out adding weight, which I won't do. I'd have to change something, lighter motor, servos, reposition servos etc
Last edited by mustflynow2; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:41 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpekin View Post
how far back are you pushing your batts B12. those mid fuse mounted servos are a prob with the luna, I guess that is why a higher voltage is attractive.
On my F5b the two batteries are in a row. The rear end of the rearmost one is more or less in the leading end of the wing. All my electrics are on the left side wall of the fuselage. I have some styrofoam filler blocks/quides on the right side wall to keep the batteries in right position and from moving around. On the left side the ESC and rx quide the batteries.

Why not put the fuse mounted servos on the same side of the fuselage? Stagger them a bit so the pushrods go on top of each other. Then you can slide the thin batteries in the same space.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:23 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Maiden, if you could call it that....

Yes it went into the sky but not for long, sorry if I have given you a sickening feeling in the stomach already, but I should clarify all is ok, only drama a wasted opprtunity on my part. I shall explain...

Finally got out of town, loaded up, and didn't look back, inlaws small farm out at miners rest at the foot of mt hollowback, nice spot, a bit breezy Monday evening but I couldn't wait till the morning, high voltage powerlines down wind to the north not ideal but I had flown here before, grass a bit long and tussocky, so a slow landing required if I wasn't going to catch it. Ok before I left Melb I had gone over everything again, knew I was probably nose heavy. In Ballarat checked surfaces, telemetry ok all good climbed out nice, gave it everything ok as suspected this direct drive inrunner isn't the thing but it got me up there, let it sit into the wind for a bit and the nose dropped as I thought, that's ok so turned to come back and no brake, my prop fanned, damn how did I miss this, recalling back I was sure it was working? Not sure? Can't remember. So around I went maybe 8 times before I was happy and flopped it down ever so gently in the long grass. I had given a little up elevator but not with much effect, cg has to get back. So as organised as I am had remembered to bring my programming card, walked back out of the paddock, through 3 gates, open close etc and back again, had the brake programmed umm that's odd, I had it on. reprogrammed, still not working, need to calibrate throttle damn don't have lead, light fading now and my elderly father in law had come down to see what was happening. A little frustrated I packed up for the night.
Back in Melbourne now, if you look on the hk site you will see all the yep esc's backordered heavily. That's cos they are real good, esp for heli programming. Well I thought mine was broke and was getting a little annoyed but it's not. The brake was programmed but because I had not calibrated the throttle range the esc thought more throttle was on when my stick was fully down. The motor actually stops in still air but no brake, i hadn't checked on the ground. When i was in the air i thought of this and pulled probabaly 10-12 clicks of trim out I just didn't pull enough out to activate the brake. Now that I have I have a big dead zone at the bottom of the stick so I need to calibrate, I also thought of calibrating in Ballarat I just didn't have the lead between esc and rx. So all good i guess just a wasted trip for the luna.
The real killer was the perfect day on tuseday and the minigolf I ended up playing with my kids, they won too.
I must say it flew fine although held up by that prop, ail response was great as the wind was a bit fresh just used a bit of flap, (and prop) to bring it in, so that's it for now.... BP
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:43 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,007 Posts
Oh, now I get it, you've changed your name. (whatsup? couldn't get mustflynow1? )

Thanks for the update, and good news on the long awaited maiden. I was expecting bad news when I read the first line, but it aint so bad! Remind me on your power setup again? I can't remember what battery you used. 3S?

Anyway here's hoping there's a decent flight in the near future.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Ah yeah I should have mentioned, and yes mustflynow is used, so i be mustflynowaswell. (too) 2! Although it is getting harder and harder. i was just saying on another thread we have been moved on from our local park by parks victoria, a certain cricket curator couldn't cope! Anyway what can you do

I had a 4s and 11x6 1150kv inrunner arc 36 55 2.5 No torque to turn big prop is the prob. How about you sub have you made a start, done the bubble mod for an outrunner?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:15 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Ah yeah I should have mentioned, and yes mustflynow is used, so i be mustflynowaswell. (too) 2! Although it is getting harder and harder. i was just saying on another thread we have been moved on from our local park by parks victoria, a certain cricket curator couldn't cope! Anyway what can you do

I had a 4s and 11x6 1150kv inrunner arc 36 55 2.5 No torque to turn big prop is the prob. How about you sub have you made a start, done the bubble mod for an outrunner?
Hmm, no progress on mine I'm afraid. I was actually waiting on you to fly yours, to see if the outrunner solution is worthwhile, or should I be going for an inrunner / gbox solution. You won't see me blazing any trails with this, aside from being one of the first who bought the model

Cheers,
Michael.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:57 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,065 Posts
inrunners + gb all the way!!!
turning an outrunner motor inside that fuse is just a matter of time to get problems...
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:59 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,007 Posts
I agree. Show me where to get a decent power system over here that doesn't cost a fortune (in keeping with the overall spec of this model), and I'm all over it. The hardest part to find is the gearbox it seems...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:45 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,065 Posts
For Luna I would try a 4S setup to avoid spliting the battery pack unless you have a 5S pack that fits inside...
A standart neu gear plus big prop will do the job

http://www.espritmodel.com/neu-1112g-series-motors.aspx
1112/1Y/6.7 - hot setup for 4S and warm for 3S

http://www.espritmodel.com/neu-1115g-series-motors.aspx
1115/1Y/6.7 - hot for 5S and warm for 4S

If you think is too much you can order a Kontronik KPG25 from Icare-rc and put this to any 28mm inrunner you want....
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Flight 2

Time to breath some life back into your thread Sub! Can't believe I have only flown mine twice now, however I have been investing in it, 1112/1y on the way, nothing too crazy but the term budget has been pushed aside I am afraid, might have to unsubscribe. Still lots to do with this model, and I have found another site with some wide open space not too far away so the summer is looking good, how about you?
Last edited by mustflynow2; Feb 24, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,007 Posts
yeah, mine's still in the box.

I will build it one of these days, but there's just too much going on in life at the moment, and other aircraft can be put in the air for much less investment in time. My FPV Cub is close to a maiden, and my 3D yak that I fly almost daily has finally died, meaning that I have to have a replacement ASAP. I've got one now, but it still needs to be built.

Other projects aside, I still can't decide on a power system. I want an inrunner with a gearbox to turn a large prop, but I don't want to spend a fortune doing it without really knowing what I'm doing first. I know I could do a cheap and easy outrunner, but I've not seen anyone having any success with that as a method. Other than yours. I was hoping more people would have experience?

Anyway, I'll stay tuned to the thread, and definitely update if I decide a clear direction and when I make progress. Good luck to you.

Syub