HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:59 PM
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpekin View Post
my joiner varies pretty consistantly from 11.9mm to 12.3, narrower across the top and bottom seem, I have barely sanded it, just a couple of imperfections along the seam. It will start similarly into either wing but gets overly tight, a very gentle opening of the wing holes as you said then perhaps a little dry graphite powder, corn flour even to help it in. A little gentle finessing required, have to pack up for the night now though. BP

You can't expect much from China, welcome to reality.

That's why I don't like the idea of spending money on chinese mouldies, if the joiner is that bad (and it's easy to make), I imagine how accurate is the wing section and everything else...

People in Honk Kong and Taiwan who are serious in this hobby, they buy their Mouldies from west Europe.

Sorry!

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Last edited by Jebera; Aug 06, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:25 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
Just noticed this thread.
I have my Luna for 7 months and I love it.
Brendan, I know how you feel.
I did it from the bottom also.
I had to redo it after couple of flights. I had to add spacers to flap horns. About 3/8".
Standard length was over powering my servos.
If you care I could post some pics.

Rob
Thanks rob glad you love the luna, slope or electric? Still no movement on my wing sevo install yet. Pics are always great. Always happy to see another solution
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:53 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebera View Post
You can't expect much from China, welcome to reality.

That's why I don't like the idea of spending money on chinese mouldies, if the joiner is that bad (and it's easy to make), I imagine how accurate is the wing section and everything else...

People in Honk Kong and Taiwan who are serious in this hobby, they buy their Mouldies from west Europe.

Sorry!

André
I can only inform on what is in front of me Probs encounted so far include that wing joiner and my wing bolts not seating properly. I was actually really worried they would not line up at all for a moment. Fuse seam and wing join not lining up as you might expect. I also had a small crack in the tail section where one of the locating pins had been forced on the wrong angle. Unfortunatly there is also a report on the hk site of a twisted and bowed fuslage???
Um you are right, i guess as a consumer compomise isn't really the way to look at it
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:10 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
in 3 2 1 going up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg View Post
Maybe the Enigma threads here will give you some ideas. I think they are all top mounts.

I know how you feel about cutting into the wing. I stared at my enigma wing for weeks before I finally cut into it.(Top mounted flap horns)
seeing as though you mention the word enigma and the rain is constant on my roof at the moment, I thought I might indulge. But I am not sure this level of performance is what I am looking for. still no flaps done

Enigma F5B Hotliner (3 min 18 sec)
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:37 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
757 Posts
Quote:
Thanks rob glad you love the luna, slope or electric? Still no movement on my wing sevo install yet. Pics are always great. Always happy to see another solution
It is electric.
Hacker B50/13s + 6.7:1 gb. 4s 2200mAh, 19/11 graupner.
Hextronic D-MG16 servos all around.
It took some imagination to program all glider features in to my DX8, but I got all I need, including full wing ailerons, crow, camber, reflex, cruise, flaps and spoilers.
It is my only any weather plane. I had it out in 20mph wind gusting to 30 and in dead hot air.
I love it.
I am building now Radiant from the same manufacturer. Looking for little more speed and better performance.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.6 Competition Pro REF
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:07 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
It is electric.
Hacker B50/13s + 6.7:1 gb. 4s 2200mAh, 19/11 graupner.
Hextronic D-MG16 servos all around.
It took some imagination to program all glider features in to my DX8, but I got all I need, including full wing ailerons, crow, camber, reflex, cruise, flaps and spoilers.
It is my only any weather plane. I had it out in 20mph wind gusting to 30 and in dead hot air.
I love it.
I am building now Radiant from the same manufacturer. Looking for little more speed and better performance.
Rob
Thanks for the pic Rob, i'm pretty sure i'll go ahead with the bottom of the wing installtion. Nice set up too, your hacker and gearbox weighs in at 256 grams? no prob balancing out. Where is your cg if you don't mind me asking, it's just this is the first flying example of the electric luna i have come across. Auw too I guess would be interesting to know as well if you are happy to share?
The radiant is more in line with the enigma as an airframe bit unfair of me to post that vid here as it is not the luna Two launch planes now rob any issues with quality as i came across a few little issues. And er if i can get alittle side tracked again, will the radiant be sporting a neu up front?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:04 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
wing servos

finding it very difficult to get this done at the moment. but made a start today, at least got everything in place. don't have the luxury of the dining room table inside where it is warm had previously routed small 8mm ply trays for servos to be screwed into, have soldered aileron extensions to set up linkages and that is about it.
you still out there rob, that cg mark would be real handy, I think it says something on the box 95-100? I'm not running out to the shed now, anyway doubt I'll get a decent day to fly anyway, Melb weather is woeful
oh and believe it or not I got all those wires tucked away neatly in the fuse, no cooling for the esc though might be a prob
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
757 Posts
cg of 100 is good. 90 for high wind, 110 for calm. (That's with prop folded) Cooling for esc and motor is good idea. I don't have it yet. I keep saying I have to add it.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.6 Competition Pro REF
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:57 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
almost there

Quote:
cg of 100 is good. 90 for high wind, 110 for calm. (That's with prop folded) Cooling for esc and motor is good idea. I don't have it yet. I keep saying I have to add it.
Rob
well I am almost done, wing servos are in and some initial setup has been considered, but cog is a bit of an issue. Can get to maybe 90mm from leading edge but that is it with a 2200 3S pack. My initial thoughts on motor weight at 140-200 grams seem justified. the arc I have installed is at 236 grams. I was hoping for a bit of a range.
The first review on the hk international site also mentions a nose heavy situation.
I will reposition my esc tomorrow and have to tidy up the telemetry gear so hopefully will be able to push that balance point back, still no flight off course but going on your word rob I think I am too far forward.
Auw is considerable too, my wing servos are nearly 30 grams each and the hitec telemetry adds more again so it hasn't turned out to be the lightest. I really wan't to get a 4 cell in too. well the rain continues in Melbourne which is probably a good thing at the moment. I'll get a few foamies wet this weekend but not this one
will post some more pics on the flap install tomorrow too, gluing in that little brass knurl was fun, nearly lost it a couple of times
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:33 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
cog a9 and brass flap

managed to get that cog back another 5mm to almost 95mm from leading edge, moving my esc back about 6cm, that's it, with 3s 2200, I guess I am going to try it there, probably about 20-30 grams of tail weight required to get back to 100-105
some setting up of the a9 done, got to run some more motor tests with different props and then I guess I don't have an excuse, feels heavy
so there's that little brass knurl waiting to be glued in, same as aileron position
would like some servo covers the same as the ailerons for the flaps
sorry my pics are a bit on the large size and the vid is average to say the least
hope I haven't over done it subsonic I can get carried away, good luck with your build will keep an eye out in the future. will probably maiden in the country at my inlaws farm where the sky is a bit bigger, not sure this one is in the parkfly catergory

luna ail flap funtion (0 min 18 sec)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,859 Posts
Quote:
managed to get that cog back another 5mm to almost 95mm from leading edge, moving my esc back about 6cm, that's it, with 3s 2200, I guess I am going to try it there, probably about 20-30 grams of tail weight required to get back to 100-105
some setting up of the a9 done, got to run some more motor tests with different props and then I guess I don't have an excuse, feels heavy
so there's that little brass knurl waiting to be glued in, same as aileron position
would like some servo covers the same as the ailerons for the flaps
sorry my pics are a bit on the large size and the vid is average to say the least
hope I haven't over done it subsonic I can get carried away, good luck with your build will keep an eye out in the future. will probably maiden in the country at my inlaws farm where the sky is a bit bigger, not sure this one is in the parkfly catergory

This has been a great build thanks Brendan!

I'm biting my nails in anticipation of the first flight out in the open.

Interested to see your choice of servos for the wing, I don't remember reading that you've gone for those Hobbyking S712G things. Do you think it needs thin wing servos? Either way, those are well up to the task I'd say, if they do indeed put out up to 7.0kg. Should be plenty.

Would you (or anyone else) mind giving me a rundown on how you set up flaps on a hotliner? It looks from your video that you either have flaps and Crow on a slider, because they move pretty slowly. I have some limited exprience with gliders, but mine are set up with flap on the throttle lever, which obviously wouldn't work on a hotliner. Tips?

Keenly waiting on your results man. Keep us posted!
Sub....
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:51 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,019 Posts
No worries subsonic, just as an aside you might be interested in another launchmodel, their f5b, hk calling it the inertia

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

http://www.launchmodel.cn/enProductShow.asp?id=147

At least living in Sydney you might be able to pick one up, because with a one piece wing at 1.7m I don't think it will post
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:54 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,859 Posts
The F5B is actually the model I wanted for quite a while. When HK released the Luar though, I jumped at it instead, as i liked the 4 servo wing and v tail which gives me an effective rudder. Am I the only one who really likes rudders, even on models like this?

A freind of mine bought one of the F5B's from HK. Will be interesting to fly the two together.

I think it's time I started pulling the stuff together for my model. I'm thinking about this 3648 850kv motor on 4S2200 and a 14xsomething folder

Anyway Brendan, you must be nearly ready for flight? Anything to report?

Sub.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
T

I think it's time I started pulling the stuff together for my model. I'm thinking about this 3648 850kv motor on 4S2200 and a 14xsomething folder
I have couple of those motors on 3s and 13x11 cam carbon folder. Runs great at about 60 amps. Warms up pretty fast so shortish vertical climbs only. Draws 70+A with 14x10 on 3s battery which I think is over safe limit. 14x something is too much on 4s inho.

My Launchmodel F5B climbs plenty fast with this motor and the 13x11.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
I have couple of those motors on 3s and 13x11 cam carbon folder. Runs great at about 60 amps. Warms up pretty fast so shortish vertical climbs only. Draws 70+A with 14x10 on 3s battery which I think is over safe limit. 14x something is too much on 4s inho.

My Launchmodel F5B climbs plenty fast with this motor and the 13x11.
Hmm 3S. .. Have lots of 2200s around...