SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r%5F750kv.html

I have used this motor with no issue on 3 and 4 cell turning a 13x9 in the hk phoenix 2000 I guess for $20 you can't do much better, I agree. I s'pose I'm trying to avoid boring a hole in a brand new fuslage before it has even been outside. True weight of the 3648 is 190 gram? Is that right?
The arc inrunner is made for large fans, is capable of higher voltage 6s, 1200watts, I think it should be able to handle short bursts way over spec, but can the hk airframe handle it?
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpekin View Post
Any chance yours has come down off the shelf Subsonic?
Not what you want to hear I know, but nah, mine is still on the shelf Up to my neck in FPV at the moment, which is a nice place to be. The hotliner will see the light of day, but not for a few months at least I'd say.

I really like the way this thread is going, with the cheaper end of the spectrum for the motor etc. I was worried when I started this thread that there'd be some high performance snobbery around the power system. Good to see there is no one yet saying it's either 3kw or nothing

On the thrust line issue, would one 2m hotliner be much like any other in this respect? And just as a guess I'd say it would need at least some down / right thrust, given the large prop and high torque the motor makes. Just guessing though.

I'll keep watching, and will definitely update you all with what I find when mine makes it's way out of the box and into the sky.

Sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
if your going to keep watching I'll keep posting. Spent some time at it today with the tail and servos with good results. Actually the set up is good, and doesn't create any drag outside the line of the fuslage.
thought I'd give the fancy turnigy alloy case servos a go.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...06sec_21g.html

So routed the fuse open built a new tray cut down the carbon fibre rod and epoxied in the square alloy horn. Probably the most fiddly bit keeping the glue off the wipers and positioning the horn the same on either side, then epoxied in some threaded rod, have used sullivan gold at the servo end 2-56 and the supplied wing threaded rod for the tail end. Is it 2mm and metric? not sure but it suited the plastic ball joints supplied as was slightly smaller then the 2-56.
intend to use 2-56 for ail and flap, it is stiffer than the supplied rod.
well all good except for the centre points of the control surfaces that foul with each other. I have the end point adjusted down to 60% to stop fouling but when elevator and rudder are inputted at the same time there can still be a problem. A little needs to be shaved of the inside edge of the control surface at an angle. Still was getting a good 8mm movement. don't think much more will be required. hopefully lay out the wings tomorrow and solder up plugs and extensions for the wing servos....
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:54 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
rx installed

well many hours of fiddling today, still no wings to be seen though. rx is back behind the tail servos out of sight and harms way. Putting as much weight backwards because of my heavy motor, yet still hoping for plenty of leeway re. cog. really no space anywhere else anyway
wing plugs are ready in the fuz, a servo extension brought forwad for the esc and data port on the optima 7
time for a break now cos I am going to have a problem installing the flap linkages up through the wing, can't bring myself to cut into that pristine top surface
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:26 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
wing

ok long story short the main wing fits up quite well. those two front bolts required some relief from the underside of the wing to allow them to seat properly. The joiner needed a bit more work though, inside and out and a little graphite to finish. started with 360 paper and found myself getting nowhere so grabbed some 180 and gently made things happen. measures up well and looks straight.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:53 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
flap mod

i would love some feed back before I go ahead with this but what I have in mind is to mount the flap linkages below the wing instead of through to the top surface. similar to the multiplex fun cub. pics are from a martyn johnston build of a luna slope model. i really dont want to cut into that wing, will probably stew on this for a while
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:10 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Hi Brendan. My experience with gliders is pretty limited, but I'd guess that having the servo horn on the bottom, driving to the top side of the flap would be the easiest way to achieve a clean install with minimum hardware in the airstream. I doubt the wing strength will suffer much for the sake of a small hole for the pushrod.

Really enjoying the updates. Keep them up!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:01 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
I am going to mock up some linkage geometry before I go ahead with the install, hopefully later today but the way I see it is I only have to insert that threaded knurl to the bottom of the flap ie one 4mm 4.5mm hole and glue
Got to test those new horns though. Mucking around with hitec telemetry at the moment, trying to squeeze that in too. The day is improving so might not get anything done, except a little flying
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:43 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Maybe the Enigma threads here will give you some ideas. I think they are all top mounts.

I know how you feel about cutting into the wing. I stared at my enigma wing for weeks before I finally cut into it.(Top mounted flap horns)

Quote:
i would love some feed back before I go ahead with this but what I have in mind is to mount the flap linkages below the wing instead of through to the top surface. similar to the multiplex fun cub. pics are from a martyn johnston build of a luna slope model. i really dont want to cut into that wing, will probably stew on this for a while
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:29 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
flap mod

luna flap mod mock up (0 min 14 sec)

will this work
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:30 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
sorry can't seem to get my video to play
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:40 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrnUYMQQdgY&feature=plcp

maybe this time
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:44 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Quote:
sorry can't seem to get my video to play
Vid works great for me.

Do you really need 90 degrees of flap travel? I don't know, just asking.

If you're really keen on the bottom drive thing, it seems to me that you would have the exact same kinematic if you kept the flap horn straight, and just mounted it further back in the flap. Is there another reason for the bend?
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:38 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
Behind the wiper inside the flap, and aileron too, is a 4mm strip of balsa as the build up of the flight surface. past that you cannot get into the cavity of the flap. as with the mounting position of the aileron knurl i think it would be the best spot in the flap too. you can get glue in there and use that balsa as support to glue to as well
if this bottom pull thing doesn't work out the threaded knurl will be in position to access from the top too
yeah getting heaps of deflection always try to get as much mechanically first and then sort out what i use with the radio even some up for spoiling
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:53 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
821 Posts
Quote:
Just noticed this thread.
I have my Luna for 7 months and I love it.
Brendan, I know how you feel.
I did it from the bottom also.
I had to redo it after couple of flights. I had to add spacers to flap horns. About 3/8".
Standard length was over powering my servos.
If you care I could post some pics.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro