HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I get a bit more than that in the Witch Sparks with a GWS 6 x 3 I got 5 amps/35 watts, in the Sportster with a 5 x 3 GWS 3.5 amps/25 watts. You should have plenty for the Senator at 6 ounces with that set up Bob.
Thanks George. Your post came up just as I'd posted my reply to Sparks. When I've tested this outfit (tomorrow) I'll let you know what I get.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Note that SD squeezes a little more with a gws 6x3, so you will have enough I think. Different props and batteries will all affect your wattage readings somewhat.

I use 5x3 gws E props on models with the 1811 that weigh up to 5/6 oz, for 6 and above I find the 6x3 TGS sport work really well and still stay within the range of a 6A esc on a 2s lipo. Always worth putting them on the wattmeter just to see what the static power levels come out like.

The flight levels of load / power usage should generally be a little lower from the static measured value once the prop unloads a little in normal flight. You should be able to tell just by holding the model with a WOT, if its going to have enough wallop, the wattmeter just helps you to avoid overloading your system components

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:38 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
You should be able to tell just by holding the model with a WOT, if its going to have enough wallop, the wattmeter just helps you to avoid overloading your system components
...if you've experience!! Unfortunately, I am more used to a hopped-up EasyStar which is putting out almost 200W..... so the 1811 seems to create a mere zephyr. Good job the Ajax (currently) weighs a bit less than the kilogramme and a bit of the foamie!!!

I will be putting the Wattmeter on the Ajax soon...
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
A readout from my watt meter. 6x3 prop. Maximum power on full charge was about 24 watts.
I'll mount the stuff in the model now and see how (if) it goes.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:30 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,275 Posts
24 watts should equate to 60+ watts per pound if the model is 6 ounces, believe me that will be plenty for a model like the Senator.

How long into the run was that reading? It was just that the voltage looked a little lower than I would have expected.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:35 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I'm guessing it was well into the run, unless your battery is less than healthy!
Even so, as George says, there still should be plenty enough oomph to fly the senator at 60w/lb
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
24 watts should equate to 60+ watts per pound if the model is 6 ounces, believe me that will be plenty for a model like the Senator.

How long into the run was that reading? It was just that the voltage looked a little lower than I would have expected.
I didn't time it but I would think around 2 mins. total after several stops and starts. I'll do another run and be a bit more "scientific" about it. Putting finishing touches to the model now but I may chicken out of the logo! The text style I like would be too difficult to do in tissue as it's rather flimsy script. Others would be easier I know but I don't have a "feel" for anything else yet.
Thanks for your replies. I'd never have got this far without the advice and encouragement you lot have given me.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Nearly there! Noseblock to sort out and decor for wing. As seen here it weighs 5.4 ozs and balances on rear spar.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Nearly there. Noseblock to sort out and possibly a logo for the wing. 5.4 ozs and balances on rear spar.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
United Kingdom, Minehead
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Its looking realy good Bob, cant wait to here how it fly's.
bigisbest is offline Find More Posts by bigisbest
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
933 Posts
Neatly done, looking good...
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:17 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,275 Posts
Weight and CG sound to be fine Bob, should be a guaranteed flier. I'll put in a request for some calm weather for you!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Weight and CG sound to be fine Bob, should be a guaranteed flier. I'll put in a request for some calm weather for you!!
Thanks George, the weather will be the major factor now I think.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:25 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,275 Posts
Hi Bob, just bumping your thread back up and wondering if you are any closer to that first flight?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Well, it's finished at last. Just awaiting a couple of grub screws to secure the motor shaft extension and we'll be ready to fly.
George, sorry to have missed replying to your last entry, I was away from home and failed to see it when I returned. I'll post a little more info. when I've balanced it and can give a final weight.