HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:05 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
> What did the big one weigh - and did it have much lead in the nose?

Aww.... c'mon now George, get real! Can you remember what one of your models weighed 56 years ago .... or how much lead you poured into the nose? I doubt I weighed the airplane and certainly not the ballast. Wasn't heavy, I guess; I had a comment from Britland three weeks ago from someone who said he was 'mesmerised' watching a WS cruising around over a contest site recently.... brings a warm feeling after so many years.
No Jim, I can't remember - but I do have lots of carefully preserved tatty little notebooks in which the details were recorded. Very anally retentive I know, but fun to look at sometimes.

You are right about the warm feeling, I get great pleasure every time I see or hear of someone having built and enjoy one of my designs, it has to be one of the best kicks in modelling.

Sorry Bob, back to the Senator!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post

Sorry Bob, back to the Senator!
No problem, I enjoy the posts even if they are a bit of a diversion.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
268 Posts
I had a f/f Senator way back and wound the rubber motor by holding the rear dowel with my feet whilst laying on the ground, can you picture it ?
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Sep 2006
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Jiver View Post
I had a f/f Senator way back and wound the rubber motor by holding the rear dowel with my feet whilst laying on the ground, can you picture it ?
Ha Ha, I couldn't even get down onto the ground now! Well, if I did I'd never get up again. Still plowing sloooowly on with mine. The time of year presents too many other things to do, but progress is being made. One thing that disappoints a bit is that the nose will have to be blunted somewhat as the motor is too short to reach the original prop position without sticking out like a carbuncle. I'd like to have retained the profile as designed. Maybe a longer prop shaft could be fitted but that's unknown territory for me.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
Bob; for the princely sum of 1.95 you can get a collet fit prop adapter and spinner for the 2 mm shaft on your 1811 motor which will give a longer shaft that the "prop saver" option - see http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=sh...tName=Adaptors. I have used this on the Sportster - see photo. Provided you make the hole in the nose block a good fit around the prop driver, you don't run much risk of bending the shaft in a whoopsie. You will need to ream your GWS 5 x 3 or 6 x 3 out a bit too fit on the shaft, but this isn't difficult.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:00 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I fitted (probably the same) prop adaptor with the 1811 motor, on my Coupe recently for precisely the same reason. Seems to work well, but as George mentions, the small props do need reaming a little.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Sep 2006
312 Posts
The Senator is well advanced now as you can see from the pic. I backtracked re the elevator as it seemed too big. Converted it to single sided. Covering is not quite finished but not far off. I want to put a small "Senator" logo on the wing. I think it will be made from tissue following the technique of cutting through a printed sheet. Have yet to track down a font and style I like. Final thing will be the nose block. As seen here with servos fitted but no other "gubbins" is 85 Grms. That's about the weight of a good free flight version.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
That looks absolutely great Bob, you must be well pleased with it, I know I would be!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:57 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Almost there Bob. Looks great too!
sparks
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:29 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,509 Posts
Looks superb - and great idea of using black for the cockpit! I think I'll be using that on the Ajax....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Sep 2006
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Looks superb - and great idea of using black for the cockpit! I think I'll be using that on the Ajax....
Thanks for the appreciative comments from all. I can't claim originality re the cockpit covering though. There's a great thread on ff Senator's on the small flying arts website and I saw the idea there. It struck me as simple, neat and a lot easier than fiddling with transparent plastic which I always find a total pain to do neatly!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2006
312 Posts
I've a question re the power setup for this model. 1811 motor, 2s lipo, 6x3 slow fly prop, 10amp ESC. I'm just about to test this lot on the bench and wonder what sort of power output to expect. Expecting model to weigh around 6 ozs. so I imagine something around 25 watts would do. If anyone would care to comment please.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
According to my dodgy calcs from a similar set up, you are near enough at 25W Bob
sparks

ran it in webocalc,
28W, 2s 3.9A with a 6x3
Last edited by sparks59; Jul 30, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: details
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:07 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
I get a bit more than that in the Witch Sparks with a GWS 6 x 3 I got 5 amps/35 watts, in the Sportster with a 5 x 3 GWS 3.5 amps/25 watts. You should have plenty for the Senator at 6 ounces with that set up Bob.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Sep 2006
312 Posts
Thanks Sparks. Last thing I flew with elektrik was an easy glider and I just guessed at the motor/battery/prop combo. It flew(flies) ok but it wasn't a very sensible approach really. Have since acquired a watt meter so can now be a bit more "professional". I'll now stuff all the bits into the plane and soon (I hope) find out if it's got enough grunt to fly.