HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
plastic model manufacturers

I think i'm gonna build another plastic model, but only want high quality models. I've built with Tamiya and Hasegawa, with Tamiya being the best (parts fit well, etc.) any other manufacturers that are up to par with those 2 mentioned companies? what about Academy and Minicraft? Do they produce nice models?
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Nov 02, 2003, 05:21 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
I'd go for most of them - it's the final result that matters, and that's up to you and your ability to modify and correct if necessary.

As an example, the worst model I have had the misfortune to build was the Lindberg 'Blue Devil' destroyer kit. Even that has come out reasonablywell. Do a search for that and the Revell corvette to see the difference (in the Boats section).

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Nov 02, 2003, 05:48 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
yeah, well i've nvr had good luck with Revell/Monogram model crap that u buy at walmart, so i was wondering if other companies were like that too. I always remember parts not fitting correctly. Tamiya needed very little part modification to get the parts to fit right, and Hasegawa needed just some modification.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 09:16 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
oh, and any recommendations on an airbrush set with compressor?
Old Nov 02, 2003, 11:27 PM
Keremeos BC Canada
Joined Dec 2002
369 Posts
Compressors? I just built another one out of a used (abandoned) fridge, my second in 35 years. Cost about $10, and is so quiet that it gets left running in the shop, unnoticed! Lots of good airbrushes on the market, pick one...
T. Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by T. Lyttle
Old Nov 03, 2003, 03:00 AM
Joined Aug 2003
20 Posts
Any chance you could post a link to instructions on how to turn an old fridge into a usable compressor for airbrushes?

That would save me a couple hundred bucks in the near future
Blindrage is offline Find More Posts by Blindrage
Old Nov 04, 2003, 08:03 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I like academy. I have built 6 or 7 of their models. I like the multiple colour schemes they give you in the instruction booklet too.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Nov 04, 2003, 08:16 PM
Keremeos BC Canada
Joined Dec 2002
369 Posts
I have no technology for posting plans, but the procedure is simple: acquire fridge, remove compressor (cut tubes, but save wiring & plug), run it (watch for residual oil in the lines) and find out which is suck and which is blow. Tee the suck line, one branch for intake, other to control tap (just an inline valve, both gate and screw types readily available), tee the blow line, one to control tap other to gun. Done. Just blew some VERY thick acrylic onto my T33, worked like a charm. My conversion incorporated an old airbrake pressure gauge (1/8 pipe thread), but its kind of unnecessary. I also run a reserve tank (takes out the pulse and pressure fluctuation), anything will do from a bernzomatic bottle to a 20# propane bottle; calls for another tee into the blow line. Should go for another 30 years or so...
Last edited by T. Lyttle; Nov 04, 2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2003, 05:11 AM
now that's a wattmeter...
Singapore
Joined May 2002
1,136 Posts
Are there any examples of how the control tap looks like? Would be nice to save some money on this hobby for a change...
simingx is offline Find More Posts by simingx
Old Nov 05, 2003, 08:04 PM
Keremeos BC Canada
Joined Dec 2002
369 Posts
If you find a place (usually auto supply) that handles compression tees in 5/16-3/8, they will certainly have the control valves; you will see immediately what I am talking about. I use compression fittings becuz I'm too lazy to dig out my flaring tools. Basically, the tap is just another inline fitting with compression connections (ring compresses onto line when tightened) with a control on it. Here in NA, Weatherhead is the brand name (usually) but most of the product is manufactured in Singapore or Malaysia.

By the way, do use a tube cutter to free the tubes, hacksaws leave a terrible mess...