HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Discussion
Dynam Li-Po 2-3 cell balance charger.. fixed

Hey everyone. just new to the threads today. I recently bought a used dynam cessna 310, my first electric flyer. I used to fly nitro planes with my Dad around ten yrs ago, but not since. My flying skills are still good.
With the cessna I got a 2200mah li-po battery and a dynam balance charger. Did a flight and pooched the battery as I didnt know any better... So then I went and bought another battery, was already charged and went flying again knowing better not to fry the battery. Brought it home, threw it on the charger and only had 2 outta 3 cells fully charge, came up around 10.1 volts.. charger was overheating as well.
So i went and did hours of research and reading about other peoples experiences and learned I'll need a new charger. But for now I took apart the balance charger.. found a few semi-bad aolder spots on the board and re-did them. Tried the charger again and wow now my battery is at 12.2 volts .
So when your dynam balance charger craps out.. it can be fixed.. I'll update if this turns to be a temporary thing.
Dreweskritt is offline Find More Posts by Dreweskritt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,570 Posts
If there is no warranty involve then of course one can always open it up and have a look.

Great job and welcome to the forum.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,844 Posts
Shouldn't you battery be at 12.6 when charged?

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old May 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
I am not 100% sure as I'm still new to the Li-Po Batteries. Is there any issues with putting it back on the balance charger to bring it up to 12.6?
Old May 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
So then I went and bought another battery, was already charged and went flying again knowing better not to fry the battery.
A new LiPoly is only aprox. 40% charged and should be fully charged before being used.

A 3S is listed as being 11.1V but is infact 12.6 wnen fully charged.
They should be close to 11.1V after being flown. It is best to never use more than aprox. 80% of their capacity.

Per cell voltage and capacity

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...5&d=1299261126

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old May 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Everydayflyer, you just cleared up something that i was unsure about. I just wanna make sure I do this right and dont cook another battery or risk fires.. So is it ok to put it back on the balance charger and bring it up to 12.6v?
Old May 16, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Nevermind, just checked it again since this morning and now the voltage is 14.14v and slowly climbing.. and its not on the charger.. Is this normal for the charge to keep climbing after being charged?? I wish I could find out more on Li-Po tech, the better I understand this.. the less questions i need to ask.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
No that is not normal.

You might want to read the "Complete Guide to LiPo Batteries" sticky at the top of this forum.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:01 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,844 Posts
If you are using a digital multimeter you should change your battery out. A low battery will give bad readings. I really doubt your 3S pack is over 14 volts and it is impossible for it to climb in V when off the charger.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old May 17, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Was totaly the multi meter. Changed the battery and now geting 3.7, 7.5 and 11.2. So I imagine.. throw it on the balance charger and bring it to 12.6 in total? And does the dynam balance charger have an auto shut off or should I closely monitor it