HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Discussion
How do you keep fuel proofing out of the engine mount Blind Nuts?

How do you keep fuel proofing out of the engine mount Blind Nuts? And the throttle pushrod tube too?
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,217 Posts
The blinds I push a toothpick into the hole fuel proff then remove the toothpick before it dries. Same with the throttle push rod hole except I use a rolled up piece of paper
jetmech05 is online now Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old May 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
T-Squared
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Apr 2010
208 Posts
I just put screws into the blind nuts.
T-Squared is online now Find More Posts by T-Squared
Old May 16, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2012
105 Posts
I use a dab of Vaseline on a bolt and then insert the bolt completely thru the blind nut. Then the engine bay and tank area can be fuel proofed.
JohnGilmore is offline Find More Posts by JohnGilmore
Old May 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
I fuel proof my firewalls with Balsarite Balsa Conditioner- about 4 coats does the trick and it does dry clear.

I don't worry much about the pushrod hole because the CA or epoxy will seal it, but I'll trial fit the rod first- then with a hobby paint brush I'll put a little in the hole area.

About the blind nuts, if it is a kit that I will add the blind nuts, I just drill out the holes first and make sure everything was lined up first before fuel proofing.

If it is a ARF, some have the blind nuts already installed, I just fuel proof over the holes. Usually the engine mount if on tight will seal the area. The only time I had fuel go past the firewall was when I had a fuel line break at the nipple on the glow tank many years ago

With a little work- cornstarch, acetone and rubbing alcohol, I removed the oil and everything was cleaned up and like new. Then I learned to fuel proof inside the plane further back than just the firewall.

Keep inspecting your plane and keep it clean. ( I clean my planes at least 2xs after a day of flying ) Not only that, my wife would kill me for bringing in a oily plane in the house, but with a clean plane you don't have to worry about fuel accumulating and it's easier for me to inspect the aircraft and make small repairs etc.

Because I keep my planes very clean, the only thing I have issue with is grass stain build up. My club is at a swamp and we have swamp grass. When I start to clean my plane I get the green color on my rag!

On my trainer I have to clean my prop after every 2 flights because the grass stains build up, and knocks the prop off balance. In the Summer I really don't have a issue- but in the Spring it's horrible!

Sorry for getting off topic.

That's how I do it.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
Old May 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
I fuel proof and place epoxy just inside the mount footprint but not in the blind nuts. ... and while still wet mount the mount to the firewall. if you let the expoxy dry and then put the mount on, there is a chance the thrust angle will be off.. small but its a chance.

For the throttle tube... I have the hole but run that through after fuelproofing... .or if its possible to have the outer sheath extend a bit beyong the firewall so the expoxy or whater cannot get in the tube.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old May 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
I fuel proof and place epoxy just inside the mount footprint but not in the blind nuts. ... and while still wet mount the mount to the firewall. if you let the expoxy dry and then put the mount on, there is a chance the thrust angle will be off.. small but its a chance.

For the throttle tube... I have the hole but run that through after fuelproofing... .or if its possible to have the outer sheath extend a bit beyong the firewall so the expoxy or whater cannot get in the tube.
I agree. I think it is very rare to have fuel or water work its way in a throttle pushrod guide. If I were to run into anything like that, I'd have to question myself why I didn't clean my plane after a day of flying- or leave my muffler loose, breaks in my fuel line etc.

About 9 years ago when my fuel line tore ( from a plane I no longer have) fuel got in other ways other than the throttle guide and blind nuts. But other than that, all my planes are very clean and dry.

Every time I fly I do a full inspection on my planes. It's a good habit to get into, and it's just a small suggestion that everyone does the same if they want to keep their planes around longer.

For my float planes the only water that got up through the guides was my rudder cable. When I started to use silicone grease in the guide it stopped that issue.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst