HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Discussion
Fuel Proofing

My question is two coats of Aerogloss Sanding Sealer sufficent for fuel proofing?

Yes I know I can also use thinned 30 min epoxy but I am asking about the AeroGloss Sanding Sealer because it is much thiner, like water I was intending to apply two coats not sanding after the second coat.

Thanks Tom
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,214 Posts
I don't know I've either used dope or epoxy
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old May 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I don't know I've either used dope or epoxy
I believe that the Aerogloss Sanding sealer is some kind of Dope.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
With dope based finishes, you need to keep applying enough coats that the surface starts to develop a sheen when held up to the light.

Usually I thin the first couple of coats heavily with acetone (because its cheap compared to dope thinners) so they'll soak deeply into the wood. That penetration provides a nice mechanical bond for subsequent coats to adhere to
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old May 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,214 Posts
Tom what part of MD? In the late and mid 70's I was in Quantico then went to Andrews AFB. Went back to VA. in 97 where I worked at DCA...often I'd go to BWI to fix something...even been to Martin State airport.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old May 16, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
Yes, you need more dope on than that. Aerogloss is tricky. I tried cleaning a gun, after shooting Aerogloss clear, with a cheap lacquer thinner. and got grey jello. I had to clean it out with Aerogloss thinner. In my experience, Sig butyrate dopes are compatible with Aerogloss, but try a test panel first.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old May 17, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
I put one coat of Aerogloss Sanding sealer on and it doesnt seam to make much of a difference, It soaks in and is realy costly compared to just using BSI finish Cure or Hot Zap 30 min Epoxy, so I wil revert to those because they provide an obvious gloss finish.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Tom, ordinary white Elmers GlueAll is nitromethane proof too (and stays flexible for decades). As long as you don't let it get wet with water in the rain, it works great as fuel proofer for firewalls, tank compartments and such.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012