HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
115 Posts
Absolutely !!!
I also have a deep appreciation of the reasons why they really needed computerized controls to get the surfaces to do what they had to do when they had to do it.

I forgot to mention something else, I must have removed it because it was painful.
A large devilish farming machine swallowed my original model so I had to rebuild it.

While at it, I have introduced a few improvements.

Twist has been reduced to 8°.
The Bowden control cables have been sunk into the 3 mm Depron.
The Bowden cables extremities have been better fixed to prevent bending and inaccuracy.
A Bowden cables trimming system has been built in.
The control horns have been precisely shaped to prevent asymmetric movements.
That means the one above are different from the ones below the wing.
The Spektrum Receiver and Servos have been replaced with more modern version from the same supplier: SPMAR6410L and AS2000LBB. In addition to having the same weight (again prevent asymmetry) all their servos are also equipped with ball bearings and larger motors. Much more stable, durable and powerful then the previous versions.

Bah,...such a simple model ...
Blendedwing is offline Find More Posts by Blendedwing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:28 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,715 Posts
This thread caught my eye and I thought I'd pass on what I worked over on the N9M back in the late '70s. I cut wing cores for it (68" span) and by some quirk, through all the moves and desperate times, still have them.

I used some three view drawings published in a book about Northrop and carefully studied and extended the tip and root airfoils and came out with 5 degrees of twist.

I've not figured out the drag rudders (haven't looked over this thread in detail either) but figure they're worth fitting them. They were fitted in the outboard "trim flaps" which were needed, especially so when the landing flaps were deployed.

It's a beauty to successfully get to function. I worked out shaft drive designs that are simple and I think would be fine. Originally, with .19 sized glow motors, i wanted to incorporate shock absorbing drives for the shaft system but that's about when I had to abandon going forward with it.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:07 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,647 Posts
I did a lot of work with the N9M layout and drag rudders.
Thread is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1699318
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:14 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,715 Posts
Thanks, HerkS -

I glanced through the text a small bit and it looks fruitful. I'm no engineer so no convenient thought to continue with mine other than very basic understandings. I had not considered having the rudders coupled with ailerons, coming to mind after reading some of the discussion about that. Still think I'd want them just on the left stick alone.

I had changed plans to go ahead with a couple 400 class motors - that was at least four years ago. That would change again now to outrunners of similar power. Used the scale airfoil as best as I could plot it.

Now, I'm rolling on with interest in factory made foam warbirds so the flying wing passion is rather dim. I was initiated to the 'wings notion by having a school mate all through primary schooling whose father was the flight engineer on the XB-35 (O.H. Douglas). They had moved to Kansas around 1950 for him to work at Boeing-Wichita. I remained intrigued by them for a long time. Maybe it will come up again.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
115 Posts
Hi Folks,
before the snow set in and forced us indoor, I was lucky enough to test the YB-35 outdoor. The price to pay was a wind a bit too fresh for an indoor model, but the YB-35 showed what it can and survived. Remember: no gyros, no tail, no vertical or horizontal stabilizers ....
YB-35 Fighting the wind - 1 (3 min 1 sec)
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:38 AM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Plaisance
Joined Aug 2005
251 Posts
Hallo!
Very good little XB-35!

FYI on the January-February issue of the Italian RC magazine "Modellismo" there is a very detailed article on a big (137 inches wingspan) Northrop XB-35.

The model is build by Angelo Montagna and Francesco D'Angelo for electric power (4 brushless motors with 4 3-cells li-po).

In the article you can find many very technical and aerodynamic graphics showing the Drag vs. alpha factor, the lift evenlope, etc.

The text is in Italian.

The big model flyes very good but still no video on YT

You can read "Modellismo" magazine on iPad or iPhone too:

http://www.edimodel.it/

Bye!

ettore
quenda is offline Find More Posts by quenda
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:29 AM
Joined Aug 2005
251 Posts
I've found 3 images only of the big XB-35 model:

http://www.gassmodel.it/foto/foto_angelo_XB35.html

Bye!

ettore
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:37 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,323 Posts
Nice flying in those conditions!
Thanks for the pics ettore,vid sure would be good.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:03 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,057 Posts
Interesting Video.. thanks.
From what I've read on these Northrops.. they were actually very poor aircrafts.
Their Shape /Visuals were v seductive .. consequently far more time energy And Lives were expended on what would otherwise have been still born ideas.
Brothers Horten had a far better grasp of Aero than Bill's team it seems
But then German Aero tech was 'at least' a decade further advanced, at that time.. an acknowledgement .. only.. openly made by British 'geers., post war.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
115 Posts
Grazie Ettore,
I have looked at the pictures and the model lookes really impressive.
However I could not find the article on Edimodels. Any idea on how to get it? I live in Germany and for sure I will not find it in the newspaper stand.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
115 Posts
Hi Bare,
nice to hear from you. Well as you know I live in Germany and I've received an earfull of how great and avanced the Horten were. Good. So I have set myself on to read, and there is a lot of good material in German. But I did not stop there I have also started to build "flyingwings" of all types. Horten, Northrop, Lippisch, ... I believe my eyes and my computations more than any written documents.
Look at these Videos if you like.

Ho-IX HBL Sauerlach 8 Akkus - PC.wmv (2 min 18 sec)

Me163 RC model Indoor (2 min 9 sec)

This last one is from a friend of mine, we cooperate in the development of some models:
http://www.fly2air.com/

I can warrantee you that Northrop belongs to the same class of innovative developers.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2005
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blendedwing View Post
Grazie Ettore,
I have looked at the pictures and the model lookes really impressive.
However I could not find the article on Edimodels. Any idea on how to get it? I live in Germany and for sure I will not find it in the newspaper stand.
Hallo!
This is the link to the "app" for iPad and iPhone:

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/mode...562851995?mt=8

Price for one issue only is 4,49 euros (19,99 euros for 6 issues)

The XB-35 article is on the January-February (193) issue.

Bye!

ettore