HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,900 Posts
Help!
Motor cut out on heli - 450 size with Ice 50

Running a standard Ice 50 in a mini Protos 450 sized heli. On the third flight the motor quit while inverted. My flying buddy was flying it and got it rolled back over and came down hard on the skids. Bent feathering shaft and cracked canopy.

So what happened? The ESC was beeping 3 beeps with 5-10 seconds in between. The servos worked. I gather 3 beeps mean over current. However I can't imagine that it was pulling enough to shut down a standard Ice 50. Using the stock Protos motor on 3S.

I looked at the programing on the ESC and its in airplane with all default setting. I set it up last fall but got to believe I programed the ESC before flying. Could it have lost my programing?
If I did not program it and it was in airplane mode with default setting like over current. At what current draw would it shut down?

Basically I'm trying to figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again. Everything works right now as I tried spinning it up after I had unplugged the pack and looked everything over.

I haven't been able to try it again as i need to order and replace the bent feathering shaft.

Also, what happens to data logging once full? Does it stop recording or does it overwrite data?

TIA
JoeR is online now Find More Posts by JoeR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 05:22 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
16,996 Posts
Make sure you have the correct setup
Current limiting insensitive
Soft Cutoff
PWM to 8, or 12 (not Outrunner as that’s for airplanes only)
Timing Low

The data log locking up when full is a bug in ICE ESC’s. You have to manually clear it every once and a while.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 15, 2012, 07:01 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,900 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I always set up the ESCs in helis to insensitive current limiting. I just can't figure out why its not there now.

Something strange with the log data. At the very beginning there is a current spike to 59amps. Does Castle test the ESCs before sending out? I can't imagine why there is a spike like that for the first session. There are 6 or more sessions after with no data as as I was setting up the heli.
JoeR is online now Find More Posts by JoeR