Old May 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Discussion
Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3 or Mode 4?

Greetings!

I'm wondering why controllers are pretty much all Mode 1 and Mode 2 while many of the IR controllers are Mode 4? My first helicopters are Mode 4 and I find the layout of the controls very easy to work with. Moving up I'm now trying to sort out Mode 1 vs Mode 2 but I'm wondering if there's some real need to retrain or should I just mod a controller to Mode 4 instead?
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,748 Posts
Most heli fliers like to have the cyclic control all on one stick, same as full-size. That's mode 2. Depending where you are in the world, there are different preferences, but lately many areas have been migrating to mode 2. It's really up to you, but if you use what is normal for your location, then it will be easier for others to help you, or for you to help them.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old May 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Mode depends on where you live generally. If you live in the US, mode 2 is dominant. If you are going to move up to hobby grade heli's in this hobby learn on mode 2 tx or you will waste your time and have to relearn mode 2.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old May 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Mode 2 for me. Once the elevator is set to match wind speed, I can fly the V911's with my thumb on left stick for throttle and rudder.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old May 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Mode 2 is a "Universal mode" and would be the most common outside of Asia and some parts of Europe, where they generally use mode 1. Also here in Australia we are "Apparently" a mode 1 country, but I'm yet to see anyone fly like that here! I think it's the fact that we get a lot of helis here that are built for the Asian market. Maybe the importers have decided we're mode. 1, not the actual hobbysts (Real word??).

You will most likely always have problems getting a tx unless you switch to mode 2, so probably best to do it now. Just been down that path myself
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old May 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Ok. so basically it's really more of a "that's just the way it is baby" kinda thing? I've got a DH9116 and a V911 on the way so I suppose once they get here it's just time to retrain and get rid of all Syma helicopters.

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2012, 01:20 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
I like mode 2 because like he said above the stick matches a real heli/plane.
What I don't like is trying to get both my feet working on that left stick properly.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
Old May 15, 2012, 03:31 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
M2 is dominant for helis cuz that's the way real ones work. You don't have to ditch the Symas (though I eventually did, cuz I wasn't flying them) but flying M4 and trying to learn M2 at the same time is kinda counterproductive.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
Head in the clouds
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
775 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Mode 3 & 4 basically the southpaw (mirrored, left-handed) equivalent of Mode 1 & 2?

Mode 3 being Mode 2, but cyclic on left stick, throttle/rudder on right?
Mode 4 being Throttle/Roll on left Elev/Rudd on right?

Ultimately it comes down to what feels best, there are TXs out there which allow for interchanging between all 4 modes without modding
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old May 15, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Mode depends on where you live generally. If you live in the US, mode 2 is dominant. If you are going to move up to hobby grade heli's in this hobby learn on mode 2 tx or you will waste your time and have to relearn mode 2.
It doesn't depends on where you live anymore, it is basically Mode 2 now for new fliers. Even Asian countries where Mode 1 used to predominate have switched to Mode 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Mode 3 & 4 basically the southpaw (mirrored, left-handed) equivalent of Mode 1 & 2?

Mode 3 being Mode 2, but cyclic on left stick, throttle/rudder on right?
Mode 4 being Throttle/Roll on left Elev/Rudd on right?

Ultimately it comes down to what feels best, there are TXs out there which allow for interchanging between all 4 modes without modding
That is correct: L handers may find it easier to use Mode 3. However, I don't think it necessarily makes a lot of difference as you have to use 4 channels all the time on a heli, whereas you can get away with 3 on a plane.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
775 Posts
From what I've found, Mode 1 or 4 seem to be better for Helis, as the rudder is more important for turning than the Ailerons, at least when you are first learning.
But at the same time, it makes more sense for all cyclic controls to be on the one stick, and the others on the other stick.

I'm still experimenting with both Mode 1 & 2 to decide which I like better...
Old May 23, 2012, 02:08 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
I've been practicing up the Mode 2 on the V911 and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I think the key was getting the V911 so I could practice indoors. It's too windy here to get much experience outdoors so I was stuck with the Syma S800G Mode 4. To me Mode 4 is most like a video game - rather than a real heli.
Old May 23, 2012, 04:01 AM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
775 Posts
Whilst I can understand peoples' wishes to see Mode 2 and 3 as "More like a real helicopter" as the cyclic stick emulates the Joystick, and the other stick the Pedals and Throttle, tell me how many real helicopters are controlled with a TX style input?

Would not a Joystick, Pedals and Throttle stick be more like a real helicopter? Such as this?

If you are telling someone which control scheme is best for them, don't try telling them "Mode 2 or 3 as it's like a real helicopter" because that's just not true. The correct answer should be, "whichever is most confortable for you" and let them try the different modes to see which is most natural for THEM.

Obviously steer them away from Mode 3 or 4 when they start out with RTF kits as they usually only have the option of Mode 1 or 2, but with a decent programmable radio you can change to all 4 modes, good for the southpaws out there.

I find Mode 1 or 4 easier for Heli flying, especially beginners as having the main navigation controls on one stick makes sense, as you move forward/backward and turn with the rudder. Aileron is something you mix in later for smoother turns. Having the rudder on a different stick to the throttle helps a beginner maintain a steady throttle during manoeuvres reducing the chances of crashing.

Planes are different, as you can fly a plane without using the rudder, be it fairly inaccurately, but it can be done, so Mode 2 or 3 are better suited for this.

That's the way i see it anyway
Old May 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Nicely said and that's an interesting setup you linked to!

So here's my Q - I've seen a couple posts about transmitters that easily switch between Modes 1-4 - I'd live to find out more about those.

How will I know which ones will work with my Helis?
I have:
DH9116
WL Toys V911
MJX F45

Thanks everyone for your helpful posts.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Nicely said and that's an interesting setup you linked to!

So here's my Q - I've seen a couple posts about transmitters that easily switch between Modes 1-4 - I'd live to find out more about those.

How will I know which ones will work with my Helis?
I have:
DH9116
WL Toys V911
MJX F45

Thanks everyone for your helpful posts.
I bet none of the helis above will be compatible with any transmitter that can switch between all four modes. The limitation your helis have is that your helis and your radios have to come from the same manufacturer. I doubt that companies like Walkera have transmitters that can switch to any arbitrary stick mode.

Only once you get a true hobby grade outdoor RC helicopter can you switch your radio gear independent of a manufacturer. I think these indoor all in one RTF bundle deals still belong in toy category.

The only helicopers that come to mind which are designed use third party radio equipment are collective pitch outdoor helis sized 300 and above.

Radios that can switch between all four stick modes are not expensive or rare, it's just that most of us only use Spektrum for some awkward reason, I have a JR/Graupner system that I bought a decade and a half ago for less than $200 and that could switch to any stick mode. Sanwa/Airtronics "high end" SD-10G sells for less than $500 with a receiver, I don't thimk that's alot of money for a radio with those features. Futaba makes quite a few of radios that can switch between all four modes, some in $200-$250 range. Futaba and Airtronics also use a FHSS technology, which I am a huge fan of. I think Horizon Hobbies also have some sort of FHSS with their new DSMX, but that's a little late to the table, since I'm not planning to replace my DSM2 any time soon.
Gedexas is online now Find More Posts by Gedexas