HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
Discussion
S-Bus, Futuba SBE-1, and Spektrum

So I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to rx/tx so naturally I'm having an issue with my setup. I'm setting up an octorotor for AP. I'm using Wookong M which requires all eight motor outputs on the main controller for the octo. In order for my Spektrum Dx8/AR8000 combo to work with this rig I had to incorporate a Futuba SBE-1 between the Spektrum receiver and the DJI Wookong main controller. Wookong-m is compatible with S.bus.

The problem I'm having is knowing how to wire the setup between the Futuba sbe-1 and the spektrum ar8000. I can't get the assistant software for the Wookong controller to recognize the tx.

Does anyone here have any experience with the s-bus system working with spektrum?
Stumptownflier is offline Find More Posts by Stumptownflier
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
I'm not sure why you need the SBE-1 though, using all 8 output channels doesn't stop you using a normal Spektrum receiver for the inputs as far as I know?

Edit: Ah .. .the light dawns, this so so you can use the gimbals on channel T and R I assume?

You should just be following the S-Bus channel assignment diagram in the WKM manual and connect the SBE-1 to the correct channels on the Spektrum receiver.

Then connect the S-Bus output from the SBE-1 to the WKM and make sure you have 'D-Bus' selected as the receiver type in the WKM software.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Last edited by Telrin; May 14, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
I'm not sure why you need the SBE-1 though, using all 8 output channels doesn't stop you using a normal Spektrum receiver for the inputs as far as I know?

Edit: Ah .. .the light dawns, this so so you can use the gimbals on channel T and R I assume?

You should just be following the S-Bus channel assignment diagram in the WKM manual and connect the SBE-1 to the correct channels on the Spektrum receiver.

Then connect the S-Bus output from the SBE-1 to the WKM and make sure you have 'D-Bus' selected as the receiver type in the WKM software.
Yes, you now realize my pain! I've been trying to get my octo in the air forever! I've got the software set correctly for the octo config and dbus is selected in the tx section but I will recheck my wiring one more time to make sure I've got it right.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
OK, so i rechecked the octo and the wiring and everthing looks good. i've got the s-bus wired to the specktrum per the WKm manual(pg.16)

In the assist software I get a "CFG-EFF(8)" . I tried to re-bind the receiver and re-wire the components but noting seems to work. What am I doing wrong?
Old May 15, 2012, 04:02 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Probably a silly question, but you are running the latest firmware (5.06) I assume?

Also, comments elsewhere suggest that error message can happen after a firmware update and you should reset everything to defaults then recalibrate the tx.

Also make sure you have a satellite attached to the AR8000.

If you are not getting any tx control showing in the calibration screen do check and make sure you are not in fail-safe mode by accident.

Finally, if nothing else works, do you have any other devices compatible with S-Bus that you could check with, VBar perhaps, or something similar?

Edit: adding to this as thoughts occur:

Is the LED on the SBE-1 steady or blinking?

If no LED then do you have cables 1&2 from the SBE plugged into the Spektrum receiver?
Last edited by Telrin; May 15, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
Probably a silly question, but you are running the latest firmware (5.06) I assume?

Also, comments elsewhere suggest that error message can happen after a firmware update and you should reset everything to defaults then recalibrate the tx.

Also make sure you have a satellite attached to the AR8000.

If you are not getting any tx control showing in the calibration screen do check and make sure you are not in fail-safe mode by accident.

Finally, if nothing else works, do you have any other devices compatible with S-Bus that you could check with, VBar perhaps, or something similar?

Edit: adding to this as thoughts occur:

Is the LED on the SBE-1 steady or blinking?

If no LED then do you have cables 1&2 from the SBE plugged into the Spektrum receiver?

Yes, just updated the firmware and downloaded the new software. The LED on the SBE-1 is solid green. I have the wiring between the sbe-1 and the ar8000 as follows:

Ar8000 to sbe-1

T = 1
A = 2
E = 3
R = 4
G = 5
Aux1 = 6
aux2 = not used
Aux3 = 7

I tried switching gear to 7, aux1 to 5 and aux3 to 6 but had no luck.

I've tried to re-bind multiple times. The software doesn't even recognize that there is a tx connected.

It does however default to failsafe per the software and I now get a blue blinking light on the WKM.

I don't have another sbus device to check the sbe-1 on but I'm convinced I have the wiring wrong between the sbe-1 and the ar8000. BTW, satellite is plugged in and I have the amber light.

Any thoughts?
Old May 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Yes, focus on the channel controlling the failsafe mode. You need to get that set to one of the other mode before you'll see any other activity from the other tx channels in the software.

Should just be a matter of changing end-points on that channel.