HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
France, Champagne-Ardenne, Romilly-sur-Seine
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Discussion
Brown junior

You can see on the pic a backside view of the opened Brown Junior I recently bought on ebay .
Is set a new conrod I made on afternoon . At the bottom is the original conrod, the main hole was a bit ovalised . I made the new one a little stronger around this hole .
On the pic middle is a "raw" rod, I made 2 the same time ..
A question is what was, when made, the material used as a seal between cylinder and crankase ?
frenchomebuilder is offline Find More Posts by frenchomebuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
It was a paper gasket about .010 (.2540mm) thick. Trick is to get one just thin enough to work but thick enough to keep the cylinder indexed to the case. Too loose and the cylinder can turn when the engine is running.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old May 14, 2012, 09:48 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
Nice job on the connecting rod. it looks great.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 15, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
It was a paper gasket about .010 (.2540mm) thick. Trick is to get one just thin enough to work but thick enough to keep the cylinder indexed to the case. Too loose and the cylinder can turn when the engine is running.
So my engine is OK, that' s what I have ..
Thank you !
Old May 15, 2012, 03:53 AM
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Nice job on the connecting rod. it looks great.
Thank you . Has been hard to make, as I have not US reamers ..
I have honed the big hole using a 4.7mm broken drill tail : nice .. For the small hole , I have reamed 3.5 mm and inserted a brass tube to get 1/8". Also nice ..
So a piece of 2017, a drill, files, dremel , some elbow oil , and some time to spend ..
Old May 15, 2012, 07:26 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,553 Posts
I thought it turned out OK. I have done that a lot, make my own reamers. To get a full set of reamers to cover any eventuality would be incredibly expensive. So many people make them as they need them.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 15, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I thought it turned out OK. I have done that a lot, make my own reamers. To get a full set of reamers to cover any eventuality would be incredibly expensive. So many people make them as they need them.
Yes, this is the good way .. to use them one or 2 times a life ..
Cheers from France !
Old May 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,760 Posts
Nice job,
Around here there are numerous shops that will re-grind a reamer down to a custom size for a nominal fee . If any one needs a reamer made up send me PM and I will be glad to help.
Hand reaming short bores like this is best done by using a jig in order to get the best alignment . Of course this one was probably done in the machine uing the same set up to position the original bore. Helical flutes on the reamer rather than striaght flute wil result on a more "round" hole as well .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old May 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
Nice job,
Around here there are numerous shops that will re-grind a reamer down to a custom size for a nominal fee . If any one needs a reamer made up send me PM and I will be glad to help.
Hand reaming short bores like this is best done by using a jig in order to get the best alignment . Of course this one was probably done in the machine uing the same set up to position the original bore. Helical flutes on the reamer rather than striaght flute wil result on a more "round" hole as well .
Thank you for the compliment and your offer .. May be I ' m a bit far from you ..
I know a french company who also sells reamers at the size you want , actually, they also regrind the upper size .
My problem is that I ' m very patient when working ( not always .. ) but it ' s too much waiting 2 days to get a reamer .. So , I prefer make with what I find in my shop ..
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Are you absolutely sure about that? I have had a number of Brown Juniors of various years and they all had thin copper shim gaskets. The idea was to use the correct number of these shims to get the cylinder orientation correct. The one remaining Brown that I have also has a copper shim.
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty View Post
Are you absolutely sure about that? I have had a number of Brown Juniors of various years and they all had thin copper shim gaskets. The idea was to use the correct number of these shims to get the cylinder orientation correct. The one remaining Brown that I have also has a copper shim.
Considering the mechanical situation of the seal, copper would seem to me to be better suited than paper. Thank you for your observation.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Is it possible to get from an american shop complete points assembly for this motor?
Thank you
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchomebuilder View Post
Is it possible to get from an american shop complete points assembly for this motor?
Thank you
There are two styles of timers with different cam setups.
Both are available from Woody's Engines for around $50.00 or 39.00.
The upright timer has the cam on the back of the front drive washer while the Hurleman timer has the cam on the crankshaft. The upright timer is Woody's catalogue # 73 and the Hurleman is part # 74. Woody does do international shipping ,his e-mail is aeroelectric@chartermi.net.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
There are two styles of timers with different cam setups.
Both are available from Woody's Engines for around $50.00 or 39.00.
The upright timer has the cam on the back of the front drive washer while the Hurleman timer has the cam on the crankshaft. The upright timer is Woody's catalogue # 73 and the Hurleman is part # 74. Woody does do international shipping ,his e-mail is aeroelectric@chartermi.net.
Thank you very much !
I' ve just bought a Brown Junior, without timing . I' ve not yet received it ..
I' ll let you know ..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchomebuilder View Post
Thank you very much !
I' ve just bought a Brown Junior, without timing . I' ve not yet received it ..
I' ll let you know ..
When you get it, I can look up the serial number so you get the correct timer if there's no drive washer on it. Clarification needed here, the Hurleman timer cam in actually on the hub part of the drive washer, not directly on the crankshaft. No matter, we'll get you sorted when you're ready.
RCG Plus Member