SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
India
Joined Feb 2006
105 Posts
Discussion
Fibre glass Epoxy sheet vs Carbon fibre sheet for multirotor centre plates..

I have been building and flying multirotors for 3 years but I have never used carbon fiber sheets for center plates of the frame ..

I have always used glass fiber epoxy sheets 1mm ..
Can someone please tell me what will be the difference if I use the 1mm carbon fiber sheets instead...
How light and strong will it be from the glass fiber epoxy sheets , also is it worth according to the price difference...
joy4u is offline Find More Posts by joy4u
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
1mm CF is thin...... i have found 1.5mm CF is better (IMO)

really CF is more stiff in comparison to G10 at the same thickness

But CG is more brittle and cracks when G10 will bend

Rusty's Frame plates (G10) are basically unbreakable.... but they are not super stiff...
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy4u View Post
How light and strong will it be from the glass fiber epoxy sheets , also is it worth according to the price difference...
Think of the analogy between one pound of lead versus one pound of feather. Is there any weight difference? No. So one piece of carbon the same size as one piece of G10 fiberglass probably are very similar in weight. However the carbon plate will be stiffer.

There are many types of carbon plates. The pretty ones with weave showing are called accent plates. Then you also have unidirectional plates (the weaves are all in one direction) and chopped fiber plates (like chopped fiberglass with the weave in random directions). You also find carbon fiber sandwiches where they use unidirectional plates sandwiching some other light materials in between. They use paper honey comb, end grain balsa and rohacell foam as the middle.

Carbon plate is over rated by the people that loves bling. Most of the time it is not necessary. Especially for the center plate.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
Clear skies and calm winds...
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2011
928 Posts
weight difference between G10 and CF

I have tried to do some research on the actual weight difference between G10 and Carbon Fiber. What I have found is the general feeling is that 1 Cu inch of G10 is about .070 LB where as CF is .55lb per Cu Inch.

That's about 25% take or lose some. Now in real life, if someone were using Carbon Fiber would they use the same thickness of sheet product - thus saving 25% over G10, or would they use a thinner sheet of carbon and save even more than the 25%.

IE: Quad frame made from G10 weights 5oz - would a comparable Carbon frame weigh only 25% less or maybe 40% less due to thinner material
danphillips is online now Find More Posts by danphillips
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
this is just an opinion

1 thin layer of CF for the stiffness and a layer of G10 for impact resistance.. so you should end up a nice strong plate (Maybe)
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933