HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Discussion
one wire on my brushless breaks free, still runs... Ok to use?

Went out at dawn to maiden my Blazy bee and after a gust of wind lost control and nose dived from 15ft. Plane is not damaged, but the motor (a powerup 250) came out of it's base, hanging form the 3 wires that are connected to the esc. I snugged it back in and it turns just fine. But lookin at it can be seen one wire close to the stator is broken off where it meets the group of 3 wires going to the esc. Can I still use the motor? should I solder the wire back to it's mate? Use it for parts? Thanks for any help, and if this isn't the best forum for this let me know. Thanks in advance,
Matthew
mmmatthew is offline Find More Posts by mmmatthew
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,272 Posts
I think I'd solder it back where it's supposed to be.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old May 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,401 Posts
I'd say your only option is to re-wind or just buy a new motor. If its a typical outrunner the the windings are from multiple very fine strands of winding wire. This wire has a insulating coating on it that makes it impossible to solder and scraping off the coating is all bit impossible with the multi strand type winding... Sorry.

If you attempt to run it as it is then you will very likely burn up your ESC.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I'd replace the $12 motor, rather than chance the rest of the model with a re solder. Or you could try rewinding it.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Here's the pic

of the affected motor... will most likely have to replace it. Darn and first time out with it! Shucks, but 12 bucks is nothing compared to what it could be.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
The bright side is that the motor is not totally lost. Since it's dead as it is, if you have any interest in rewinding it, it would be a perfect one to learn on.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
dedStik - good idea, I've been wanting to try rewinding... In the interim I've done a petite soldering job, seems to be holding but don't know what it means for performance, ie. blow out my esc... Thoughts?
Old May 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I think I'd try my hand rewinding it before I sent a solder connection up.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Thanks, seems like rewinding is the consensus, I'm going to go study
Old May 15, 2012, 07:18 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,574 Posts
Bad contact/connection/soldering in motor wires/connectors is very likely to ruin your controller due to high current. Explanation starting at Whenever a motor just quivers back and forth:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18461017

Several excellent articles on (re)winding/building motors, pictures, winding diagrams, by Brian Mulder a.k.a. 'Mr DIY' on E-zone:
www.southernsoaringclub.org.za
-> Articles from Southeasters
-> Electric Motors - part 1 ... part 5

Rewinding will give you a better motor than before higher efficiency by using thicker wire.
FAQ, tips, tricks, manuals, videos, checks, tests in the Electric Motor Design and Construction subforum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-mot...struction-361/
-> sticky: (Re)winding and building motors

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC
• Get a life ... get a Watt-meter!!! •
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; May 15, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:20 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatthew View Post
dedStik - good idea, I've been wanting to try rewinding... In the interim I've done a petite soldering job, seems to be holding but don't know what it means for performance, ie. blow out my esc... Thoughts?
That solder job looks fine.. you are lucky that your motor uses single stand winding wire rather than the multi strand typically found on larger motors. this makes soldering much easier.

Youmight want to insulate the wire where you have soldered otherwise they could short . Check for continuity between the phases (there should be continuity) and also check for continuity between the phases and the stator (there should be no continuity)

With a little luck if it passes those tests you will be good to go.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Thanks! I found the Southeaster's website VERY helpful! Will be maiden'n my blazybee tomorrow if the motor checks out ok. Otherwise I just got a powerup 250 slowfly (other one was the "plus" version) motor that should do the trick...