HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jjmouris, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:02 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
Yes, it's in there!!!

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:53 AM
Wollongong Australia
Joined Dec 2003
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris View Post
This is the other one i have with the MLF packedge, no BEC and it uses the birdie70a.hex files.
Joe,George:
Here is a photo of mine. It appears to be the same as yours on this post.

I have not seen Richards Red Brick but I believe it is the same size as this one - i.e. the MLF.
Following on from Georges description of how he used dressmakers pins to make contact with the legs of the chip, he has made a mould over the chip from dental silicon which is semi - rigid. (he's a Dentist so he is used to doing this sort of fine work) The mould is very accurate even down to there being a web between each leg. It is a neat push fit over the chip. Early this morning he was going to attempt to thread three pieces of 32g wire from the top of the mould into the cavity for each of the correct legs and then back out using a fine sewing needle. It is hoped that the wires will contact the legs when we push the mould onto the chip hence allowing accurate contact perhaps with a bit of pressure - maybe a clothes peg clamp, probably my finger.

I am going to assist him when we flash the chip so I will take some photos then if he does not do it sooner, and post them here.
Mutchy is offline Find More Posts by Mutchy
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:39 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
Hi Steve, yes that is the same and you should use birdie70a.hex on that.

Your solution i have seen before on the main multicopter thread and it looks neat. Have not tried it myself yet. You will only need to flash it once like that and then you can simply use the Turnigy USB Linker on the RX lead. No need to remove the red wire here as it's a dead end.

Go do it! It's a major improvement!

I have just orderred another from e-bay from a seller called ''kowloontown'', will see what that one looks like when it arrives.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
If you send me hex files for the different brake settings. I can add them to the flashtool.
Hello! (from Venice)

They are just builds with MOTOR_BRAKE=1 and 0-8 set for BRAKE_SPEED. I have not actually made a release version of this code yet -- it's just in git only for now. There will be a warning on BRAKE_SPEED=8 builds (probably should wrap it in low()), but it still works. Anyway, it probably really would be nice if these were dynamic options, instead of having to have so many .hex files...
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:52 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
I guess the 1511/1Y with a KV of about 2900 is similar to a Hacker B50 8L. So if you have one of those then you are good to copy my setup.

Note that without the ramp i have this setup will hit 5KW peak even with the 17.5x21'' S-prop and also make a nice stalled prop noise every climb.

If you have a hotter motor like a 7L or 1512/1.5D then you are in new territory. If you have a smaller prop available that is safe to use, then you can have the same power as above with just slightly higher RPM. But with a 17.5 to 18'' diameter prop the power will go up from the above and this ESC may not be to happy. We will see!

Just so that everybody knows what the score is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
As you can see, the amps are at about 220A peak but this is when the second ramp finishes and the ESC reaches full throttle.

In reality the ESC is handeling about 240A peak current in part throttle operation.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jjmouris; Jul 10, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hello! (from Venice)

They are just builds with MOTOR_BRAKE=1 and 0-8 set for BRAKE_SPEED. I have not actually made a release version of this code yet -- it's just in git only for now. There will be a warning on BRAKE_SPEED=8 builds (probably should wrap it in low()), but it still works. Anyway, it probably really would be nice if these were dynamic options, instead of having to have so many .hex files...
Hi Simon! Didn't expect to hear from you on your holiday. Hahaha

Hope the weather is nice down there. (pun intended)

It doesn't really make a great deal of difference to me, changing the hex file or setting something in a menu.

What does scare me a bit is when people want to use this firmware who are unable or didn't think to add a small ramp on their TX. I still think we need to include a 0.3 seconds ramp on the input signal to be safe. This feature should be enabled with all the brake firmware versions and only on the way up.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutchy View Post
Hi George.
It appears that this processor is limited to 8MHz. I am disappointed as I use hacker 2 pole motors and run them at about 10,000 RPM and therefore high commutation rate.
So Is this the ESC where I need to have a fire extinguisher handy?
Steve
Quite the opposite Steve. You are a lucky man. Here is the reference to the FET
http://www.unikc.com.cn/UploadFile/p...IKCP0403BD.pdf
These are 4.3 milliohm FETs compared with the older ones at 5.8 milliohms, so higher efficiency.
Also the ATMega8L is the better device. It can run at 3.3V, but only at 8MHz. But both the L (Low Voltage) and the normal run at 16MHz at 5V as we use.

So with 54 big 4.3milliohm FETs in there you have a very capable controller.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,065 Posts
Quote:
Hello! (from Venice)

Venice is the place to be, not UK at present, but they have flooding problems there as well at times!
Simon and Joe, I do not think the brake time is an operational parameter that people need to set. Joe needed it for test purposes but perhaps he should just choose a value and that will be it? A suitable combination of fast and safe.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
Well there you have it! Steve, what was that controller sold as? Where?

George is right, i am likely to just stick with brake speed 6 and call it good.

While we wait for the rain to pass, i am going back now to choose componants for phase 2 of this project.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
How about some of these for a 10S (12S) capable ESC.

http://uk.farnell.com/fairchild-semi...1?in_merch=New Products

Typical on state resistance is 2.1mohm vs 1.8mohm on the P180 fets and those can only handle 30V. The switching time is a fair bit faster. This means i could create a P180 size ESC that can handle similar currents to the P180 but with up to 12S for DOUBLE the POWER.

I'd hate to see what 16KW looks like in an F5B size airframe, will need double the pack size and motor as well however.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Wollongong Australia
Joined Dec 2003
414 Posts
Quote:
Well there you have it! Steve, what was that controller sold as? Where?
SNIP........
I am somewhat surprised at my good fortune after having had my CC180 self immolate and then falling foul of Castle's recall campaign while they digested all their backlog in production. I then received my replacement ICE Lite after 7 months only to have it burn up due to a fault in manufacture. nearly one year to get the CC180 replacement. My luck with ESC's had to change.

I bought it from HobbyKing Hong Kong store on 5th May this year. It is a HobbyKing Red Brick 200 A Esc (Opto)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FOpto%5F.html

Steve
Mutchy is offline Find More Posts by Mutchy
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:18 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Hello! (from Venice)

You could place the BRAKE_SPEED value at a dedicated place in the EEprom, and I will add a configure option to the kkflashtool to set the speed.

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Here are the various brake speed hex files for 2 out of the 3 different versions we have seen.

Would suggest to start with brake speed 5 and then if needed move to 6.

I will try a Hacker 2 pole motor soon and think that for this brake speed 5 should be enough.

Joe
Hi,

I added those files to the kkflashtool's repository. When you now select the RB70 or birdy you will get a list of BRAKE_SPEED=8 --> =0.

Can you check it works for you Joe?

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:51 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,134 Posts
Steve, i bought that one since and mine has got the ''standard'' 0603 fets on it. We all deserve a break from the ESC misfortune of the past. I believe most of it is down to bad fet driver power supply.

Christian, thank you. I tried it and it works just fine.

George sent me a new hex to try from his platform, it works well on the bench without prop. It has supposedly a 0.140 seconds ramp on the brake and feels very soft. Have yet to try it with a prop on or in flight.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jjmouris; Jul 11, 2012 at 07:58 AM.