HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jjmouris, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:27 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
So i decided to give things a try on a bit more voltage and a bigger motor.

Green MLF 200A controller
Quax.hex
6S
2600KV 2 pole speed 600 size cheapie

There is obviously no brake and the startup seems to be faster without
a little pulse at the start yet the peak amps are lower then whatever
firmware there is on the HiModel 150A controller. Looking good.

Note the irregularity in the amps once full throttle is achieved in
the second burst. I don't know what is going on here.

For a direct comparison with the Himodel 150A see;
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...5-Grafiek8.gif

We are getting somewhere! Now to add a brake!
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 09:06 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
Some more testing;

Green MLF 200A controller
F5B1.hex
6S
2600KV 2 pole speed 600 size cheapie

This time we have a brake but it's a bit slow at 0.8 seconds from start to finish. Need to shorten that up a bit before flight.

Startup amps on 6S seem to hold at about 17A making 400W peak. That is about half of what it was before with the original firmware.

RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
And here is a few runs on 3S still with F5B1.hex

Look at how smooth the power peak is. It's more like a bulge then a peak.

Well done George!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 10:49 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
For comparison, i did another run with a Neu 1511/1Y/6.7 and a Himodel 150A on a 33% state of charge 5S pack to keep the RPM down.

Then i changed the motors over. Now the 2600KV 2 pole motor with the Himodel 150A on 6S. This seems to work fine.

So, time to try a different motor on the RB 200A controller in the form of a 1511/1Y. Still with F5B1.hex loaded. Seems to work fine with 3S but an empty 5S pack spells trouble with rough running. The brake at the end really kicks even on 3S.

The Neu 1511/1Y really has a lot of cogging. It's nearly impossible to turn this motor by hand through the gearbox. Massive difference to the cheap 2600KV 2 pole motor that has virtually no cogging.

George, any idea what is going wrong with the 1Y on 5S ?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 10:52 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
So for comparison then.

Here is the Himodel 150A doing it's stuff and then the Red Brick 200A with F5B1.hex to compare.

Both 6S and the 2600KV motor, same ramps on the TX.

RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 06:14 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
So i put together another few motor / software combinations.

F5B1.hex
Hacker B50 5L 6.7:1 (4830 KV 2 pole)
3S
Really strange sound at startup, hard kick at the end of the brake
sequence. Seems to be running alright but the startup is not ideal,
needs work. Don't feel confident to run this in 5S. Sad because with
the similar 2600 KV 2 pole inrunner it seemed to be working very well
up to 6S.

rb70a.hex
Neu 1511/1Y 6.7:1 (3000 KV 4 pole)
2S, 3S then 5S
Runs perfect and smooth, super starts. Just no brake! Simon? Can we
have a version with a brake function please?

Attached plots of the runs as described above, the 1Y only with 5S.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:48 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
P180 vs rb70a vs Himodel 150A

Just to compare.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jjmouris; Jun 04, 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:01 AM
Wollongong Australia
Joined Dec 2003
396 Posts
Hello Joe.
Richard Solomon and I are watching your admirable efforts very closely and as we both have Red Brick 200 A ESC's we are very interested in the results as the original firmware is not very good. We both have Eurgle (cheap chinese) Transmitters we have flashed with the Er9x open source firmware so we have some practical experience. Er9X ( http://code.google.com/p/er9x/ ) is absolutely fantastic BTW and the newly created ErSky9x will be awesome ( http://www.ersky9x.net/index.html ) However I digress.
I am interested in encouraging more pilots to try F5B but the horrendous expense of ESC's, even a CC 200 lite is discouraging to say the least ( have you seen the repair cost for one of those? It's now US$175) So an open source of F5B firmware for the Red Brick 200 will be most welcome. Combined with a cheap chinese motor based on your previous work and Big Bruce making F5B aircraft locally - well only 1000 kms away - we may be able to encourage more pilots to take up this class of competition.
Any idea when you will be able to release the Red Brick firmware for some beta field testing?
Steve
Mutchy is offline Find More Posts by Mutchy
Last edited by Mutchy; Jun 04, 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:35 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
Hi Steve, thanks for dropping in.

As you can see things are not done yet. I am learning about how to write and compile myself slowly but for the moment the experianced people such as Simon K and George S are doing the writing and compiling for me. I am doing some testing for them.

I was waiting for Simon to provide a version with a brake function tailored for our use before i was going to do some static runs with a prop on. I think his startup routine is very good an in combination with a ramp on the TX it seems to be perfectly safe. However i would probably like to add a little minimum ramp on the ESC software so that there is less risk of blowing up a prop when you have no ramp on the TX before pushing this software out into the open.

George is also writing his own software and i have been trying some of those versions on my motors to see how they opperate in a slightly different environment. George did add a brake but so far the startup sequence seems to be fairly tailed to a specific motor. We might end up with a few different versions of software where you pick a version depending on the type of motor you are using. For instance a cogging 4 or 6 pole motor vs a non cogging 2 pole motor.

Also, so far we have seen 3 different versions of the cheap 200A speed controllers. When you take away the wrapper you will see what you have and then you need to pick the correct .hex file or get ready with the fire extinguisher. There is no way around this problem but i think a clear web page with some pictures and warnings will do the trick.

More to come.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:45 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
So here is the start zoomed in closely.

You can see that the P180 with it's CC firmware actually wastes a fair bit of time kicking the motor round before it starts to seriously increase the RPM.

The firmware from Simon seems to be better at starting this motor and smoothly getting it up to speed. The rate of increase in RPM seems to be lower if anything.

This means i am now less worried about breaking props / gearboxes.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jjmouris; Jun 04, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
The first tests with serious power.

Sergey 17x22'' prop
Neu 1511/1Y/6.7
RB 200 BEC
rb70a.hex

First tests on 3S where good so i went ahead and put her on a full 5S pack.

SUCCES !!!!!

We owe Simon a beer or two.

Power is now up to 2750W, 160A so tomorrow i will try 6S.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jjmouris; Jun 04, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:13 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
1256W.min used

6S, 210A = 4500W

All good!!!

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:47 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
George's moment of glory.

Quote:
Simon's code is simple, beautifully simple. He does not use a specified start power which I think was the problem in the last one. He just applies the throttle until it starts. That is what the last one I sent does (I hope). You can feel this by holding the prop, try first on Simon's software, and increasing the throttle. You will feel the start-up attempts getting stronger as the throttle increases until it will eventually start. Mine should now do the same, though I still have a limit of about 25% throttle after which it will stop trying and beep at you.
And now George's firmware seems to work also. Just to need to try it yet with a lower KV motor and higher voltage.

No prop
Hacker B50 5L 6.7 4830KV
RB 200 no BEC, green MLF
Latest HK200.hex
3S

Then to compare the brake, a quick compare with 2 seconds on the time scale

Grafiek 4
No prop
Hacker B50 67mm 6.7 3400KV
P180
5S

So it looks like on the P180 the brake force ramps up where as George is using a fixed brake strenght followed by full brake. Also the P180 is braking generatively? George has some negative Watts also. Not sure why.

Off to work!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
We have a brake!

But it feels very harsh on 5S and for some reason it still takes ~0.7 seconds to come to a complete stop.

Not sure what is going on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,105 Posts
Simon K has found some time to write a brake function just before his holiday and was so kind to post it in the usual place on github. I have worked out how to enable the bootloader and put the Turnigy USB Linker to use.

Just did some testing, slowly working my way up from bench runs to static runs, 2S, 3S, 5S and finally 6S and 4000W. I will work that up slowly later. This ESC should in theory be capable of a fair bit more.

The brake now seems to work very well. There are no strange delays, the force feels the same from one run to the next and it doesn't feel to strong. It looks like it takes just over 0.2 seconds to stop the prop on the ground. We will have to see how that holds up in the air with the prop trying to windmill.

The startup and acceleration is super smooth as before. You will need some ramping on the TX to make sure things don't accelerate to fast.

So i am going to get this thing in the air over the next few days if possible.

As it stands, you would have to flash the main processor using a USBasp device once and enable the bootloader then after that you can do firmware changes via the RX lead using the Turnigy USB Linker. If and when i am happy that the brake settings are correct and there are no further problems, i will offer to flash the 200A speed controllers for those who don't feel comfortable soldering the excessively small wires directly to the processor since these ESC's don't have any program pads as of yet. Send me a PM or e-mail if you are interrested in this.

Joe
RCG Plus Member