HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 04:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Question
What kind of paint can be used on an Easystar>

Was thinking of painting some design on my ez, however, not sure what kind of paint would be harmless for the plane? Any help would be appreciated.
easystarfpv4 is offline Find More Posts by easystarfpv4
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 05:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
545 Posts
There is a primer from Multiplex but a small tin is expensive, and it stinks, donīt breathe it in!! and I have given up doing it that way!
I have painted my my Easy Star and Easy Glider first with Polyurethane, it comes in a tin from any building store, itīs the stuff you paint on to protect wooden furniture for the garden I also use it on Depron scratchbuilt planes, it is water based so thereīs no smell and you can quickly wash out the brush with water, it does the job just fine.

Once thatīs on I spray my planes with any can of spray paint and thatīs it. Be sure that when itīs dry you do a second coat to make sure everything is well covered. Have fun customising.
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Last edited by papabearflying; May 14, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:38 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,459 Posts
I've used Tamiya water-based acrylics on my Twinstar II (same material), and also a rattle-can of enamel. Both of them stay on well, except where I handle the model regularly, even though I didn't use the primer.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Last edited by abenn; May 14, 2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I've used Minwax Polycrylic with great success on foam as a base coat. Then I use some acrylic paints I picked up from Wally World. It's called Apple Barrel. Was about a buck fifty for a 4 ounce bottle.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 15, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
I think my Sky Surfer is made from the same foam. I painted the tail and wing tips using Rustoleum brand spray paint I picked up from the local Lowes hardware store. Used two coats and it turned out great.
Javatango is offline Find More Posts by Javatango
Old May 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
734 Posts
I use cheap water based acrylics from the dollar store, turn out great on EPO, EPS and covering. I use a brush and a cheap airbrush.
Lay down a light colour basecoat first to get brighter colours and paint lightest to darkest.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean