HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
First few bits arrived.The small thrust race for the drive shaft,the bushes and alu channel above and below the drive nut.The bushes were considerably cheaper than a length of equivalent brass tube.
Stuart
While I personally might of leaned more towards a woodie type of slide, I have to say, that aluminum channel should add a GREAT deal of stiffness to the fuse. I would even be thinking of using it as a center spine in the fuse.

If I am seeing that picture correctly that is not U channel but what I would call omega channel?

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Jens,thanks.Good to here from you.

Mark,I think this will eventually end up in the "seemed like a good idea at the time" bin.Still worth a bit of exploration though.I like the carbon rod idea,on the shopping list.
Regards to both Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Jens,thanks.Good to here from you.

Mark,I think this will eventually end up in the "seemed like a good idea at the time" bin.Still worth a bit of exploration though.I like the carbon rod idea,on the shopping list.
Regards to both Stuart
I don't know Stuart, very little going on today with me as I'm still waiting on the last 2 parts for the machine to show up. One of them just happens to be one of the first parts I need to START the build, so i have some free time today to spend on the CAD. Let's see if I can't throw something together for you all to mull over.

Mark
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
While I personally might of leaned more towards a woodie type of slide, I have to say, that aluminum channel should add a GREAT deal of stiffness to the fuse. I would even be thinking of using it as a center spine in the fuse.

If I am seeing that picture correctly that is not U channel but what I would call omega channel?

Mark
The term used in the hardware shop was top hat I only came across it by accident having had no luck online.The intention was to fix a couple of lengths to the wing joiner plates,top and bottom,just long enough to cover the traverse of the nut.
Speaking of cad design,I have an idea in my head of a fibreglass centre section,lower joiner plate and drive mount built in.With the extra stiffening a pod would provide,could this be made rigid enough to allow the removal of a section of the top surface to detach the top joiner plate and wing roots.
Just some thoughts,trying to come up with a way to fit the drive into an airframe.
Regards Stuart(who desperately needs cad)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Here is what I was thinking about with the omega/top hat channel below. The sections that the rod needs to pass through would be 2 piece like shown and the other formers would be one piece with only the slots for the channel and drive screw to pass through. Tie them all together with stringers, install fillets, then glass with epoxy and finish with epoxy / microballoons, sand and paint. Very strong.

I do not think I would mess about with trying to detach the wings at the pivot. Keep it simple and strong, make the pivot stub fixed and attach the wings to it in the normal, time proven manner with pins and tubes. Then again, she is your ship, so which ever way you want to go ---

Mark

EDIT - Added pic of closed former
Last edited by Quick61; Sep 20, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
That looks good,I like the fuse section.The wing joiners are just about where I have them on the drawing.
Still a long way to go,if I can find the time I'll see if I can get an accurate drawing of the drive and wing root components done.
Returning briefly to the airfoil discussion,what sort of section would be suitable for the centre section?
More musings later
Regards Stuart.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Looking at Marks suggested position for the joiner pins/tubes.To keep them in a position where they have maximum length in the root disc they'll probably be 1/3&1/3.
I will have to make some sort of jig to bore them accurately,V blocks maybe.
If I go with Kents 15%,the discs will be about 36mm thick.
I would appreciate advice from the more experienced as to materials to use,diameters fore and aft,and the length of pin to go into a (99% sure) foam wing.
Regards Stuart.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Over thinking things againThis is after all just a test set up to see how rigid the centre section will be.
To that end I'm going to insert two lengths of a brass box into each root.The 14x2mm steel that's fits in these I can then use to weight the set up.
Stuart
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Some more bits and pieces.
A few posts ago I recommending motionco,who supplied the belts and pulleys for the baling machine.Withdrawn.Of three items only one,the bearing in front of the motor,is to spec.
The motor shaft should be 16mm above the base-measures at 14.4.
The coupling takes a 3.2mm drill bit,should be 3mm to suit the motor shaft.
A reply to my email pointing out these discrepancies received a reply,the gist of which was shim the motor and return the coupling for a refund!
I've already refitted the motor to it's bracket,the coupling I'll bore out and bush.
The rod ends are from igus,a German company.They supplied the pillow blocks for the other drive.So far I've spent a total of about £15 with them;they are aware that I'm just a modeller.Despite this this they have offered me a 30 day £500 account,and their uk rep has emailed to offer to advise me at home if needed and supply FREE samples of their product!
British Industry- what a farce!
Rant over,regards Stuart( who might move to Germany,the weathers better as well)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Drive so far.No power to it as yet,but it turns freely.Next job is to cut the roots out of foam.
I'm going to use a left over length of laminated flooring for the connecting plates.It's about the right thickness and very rigid.Once I get all the holes and cut outs in the right place I can use them for templates for the composite plates.
Regards Stuart.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,653 Posts
Stuart - you are the machinery MAN !!

Very pretty assembly

Oh by the way - I did close the rudders - will post a video on the rudders thread in a bit.
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post
Stuart - you are the machinery MAN !!

Very pretty assembly

Oh by the way - I did close the rudders - will post a video on the rudders thread in a bit.
Thanks Herks,looking forward to the video.
Regards Stuart
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,878 Posts
That's some nice looking hardware Stuart.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Thanks Kent,I just hope I can keep the whole thing to a reasonable weight.
Regards Stuart.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,878 Posts
If I'm keeping up correctly, you have not chosen a wing yet.

As far a speed goes, one thing that I have learned from the Manatee project is that a very thick wing simply will not fly fast. Happily, it makes tons of lift at the modest airspeed that it cruises at.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11