HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:32 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,353 Posts
It actually flys!
I drove up to the field I'd mentioned earlier and it's abuilding site.
So drove some more,found a patch of grass and had a go.
First couple of throws very tentative,so many bits to work loose on this thing.(started at full sweep)
After the first attempt the wings were loose,so retightened them.What I hadn't noticed was the pin in lh drag rudder was missing,so the next slightly harder throw resulted in a turn and a lost wing tip-proves the effectiveness of drag!
Quick repair with cocktail sticks and gel ca and off again.
Next few glides were nice and straight,though not very long.I adjusted the weight a touch-some shot on a sticky pad- and this time I got a nice flat glide.
The surfaces at this stage were neutral inner,5-7*up on the mid.and about 20*of open neutral drag.
Without making any other adjustments moved the weight and went to 27.5 degrees.Again got a good flat glide,but when given a good hard throw it showed signs of what looked like flutter.Oscillating a bit in pitch? I'm not sure.
Next tried at 15* and was pleasantly surprised.A little bit of the previous but no where near as noticeable.This is the setting I expected most trouble with,but again managed a good flat glide.
Unfortunately camera girls mum decided they needed to do some of that girly shopping stuff,so no vid as yet.She's staying over at mine tomorrow so I'll try again.
Overall I'm really happy with how this thing flys.Ive got to get it on vid so you guys can have a look and maybe advise how to improve it.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,353 Posts
Running nut assembly.The links are a bit small,but they'll suffice for the trial.
Stuart
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,861 Posts
motor and gearing stuff

So with stuff found in and around the shop, I made THIS !

It's a motor, belt and gear from a copy machine plus a little power from my Mini Ellie charging jack.

The sliding nut moves out nicely. It's a big motor, I know, but it's about the speed not the power. I'd think that this would work with a small RC motor.

Kent

Swing Wing (0 min 17 sec)
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,353 Posts
That is basically what I'm building now Kent.Nice and simple.Unfortunately there must be an issue with iPad and some video;it's loads and then puts up "this video is currently unavailable" I've no idea why,one of your manatee vids did the same.
I reread the thread the other day,looking for tips on setting up the glider.I've gone through this whole convoluted process of gears and cables to arrive back at the first idea proposed!(by you?)
The only thing I'd like to do different to your set up is to get a direct inline drive from the motor to the shaft,if that's not possible it will have a timing belt drive.
Regards Stuart
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,861 Posts
For the direct in-line connection between the motor and the shaft try a coupler made out of a piece of very small radiator type hose. Use Gorilla Glue at the hose joints.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:57 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Unfortunately there must be an issue with iPad and some video;it's loads and then puts up "this video is currently unavailable"
Try viewing it on a different computer. The videos work ok for me.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:27 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,861 Posts
Here's a low res version for you Stuart.
This might work for you.

low res small swingwing (0 min 9 sec)

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,353 Posts
Thanks,Kent,that works fine.That thing really moves!
The pic is of a coupling I was thinking about for the motor/shaft connection.
Regards Stuart
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:42 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,693 Posts
That coupling looks a bit much IMO. All you need is a stub of a piece of ~12 mm dia. / 25mm long aluminum or brass rod, Drill a 3mm hole all the way through and a 4mm step half way through. Drill and tape a couple M3 holes in the side for the grub screws and it's done. You do now have the tooling to do stuff like that.

On another note, here is the PCB I came up with. I might try a few more parts arrangement's to get the size down a bit and still keep it a single sided board but it's quite small now and should fit most anywhere.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,353 Posts
Good point Mark.A short length on eBay for £2.I should be able to make a centre gauge.
Do you make these boards up yourself?Awesome skills and knowledge.
Regards Stuart
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,693 Posts
Yea, in the past I've made gobs of them, for all sorts of stuff, electronics projects, amateur radio, computers, etc.. Don't have the stuff at the moment to etch it but in a few weeks I'll have a machine that will route out all the traces and drill it. One of the many things I am looking forward to doing with it. Let me see in the next few days if i can scare up the hand full of parts and at least get it on a breadboard. The value of the resisters might need adjusting and the circuit tweaked a bit. In the mean time, I still have to generate the Gcode, (the PCB software only produces the NC drill file), for routing out the traces. Stay tuned, I owe you one. Now if I can only find my blank copper boards...

Mark
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,353 Posts
Untitled (2 min 19 sec)

Mk 2-(Thanks Kent)
The concepts proven,the final version will need guides to prevent any chance of flight pressures flexing the rod,and some fine tuning of the geometry to suit the airframe.
With regards to that and Herks comments in his thread about the Gullivers suitability,I would appreciate any suggestions as to a starting point for the airframe.
Regards Stuart
Last edited by Stupot46; Sep 06, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:44 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,861 Posts
Quote:
I would appreciate any suggestions as to a starting point for the airframe.
Regards Stuart
Like the video ! Very clean. Looks like you have upgraded the motor.

I do have a suggestion for you. In order to make the moving "carriage" more robust, move the linkage to the center point, then use the arms in guides to handle torsion.

Making the pivots for wing will be a trick. Maybe you sketch up your ideas, scan it and post it here for our amusement and comment.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:02 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,861 Posts
The carriage could be improved by putting the attachment points for the linkage right AT the center line. One on top and one on the bottom. Could be tricky to build.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,693 Posts
Quote:
[snip].
With regards to that and Herks comments in his thread about the Gullivers suitability,I would appreciate any suggestions as to a starting point for the airframe.
Regards Stuart
How about an amalgamation of the COx (Hans-Jurgen Unverferth type), Horten, and Fauvel AV-xx? Like skinny wings with Hortenish styled mid section and AV-xx type fuse? (lots of room those fuse sections) Or we could just keep with the theme of the title of this thread and stick some wings on a fuse like this.

Mark