Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
As far as "Fitting the gizmo in a centre section" goes, I've already conjured up a few ideas in the last few moments depending on how much real estate there is in the design of the center section. I'll fire up the CAD in a bit and drop a few ideas on ya to mull over while traveling those few miles.

Mark
Thanks Mark.have look at Gulliver,I reckon that's a prime candidate .
Btw next version will have the drive horizontal,so no tombstone stuck up there
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:23 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Thanks Mark.have look at Gulliver,I reckon that's a prime candidate .
Btw next version will have the drive horizontal,so no tombstone stuck up there
Stuart
Got ya...
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
I came across these motors while ordering belts and pulleys.Would it be possible to use one as a direct drive instead of the servo.Could they be programmed forward/reverse from the transmitter?(my lack of electronics knowledge showing here)
Regards Stuart
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
IT WORKS.I've taken a video(probably best watched at 4x!),see if I can get it onto vimeo later.
The drill stand is delayed for some reason so I drilled the servo by hand.As you will see,not quite true but it runs ok.
Stuart
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Oops wrong pic
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
swing wing thing-slow motion!! (3 min 11 sec)

I am a dinosaur!Unable to contact my guru(granddaughter)I've opened a Vimeo account but can't find how to get the vid on here.Hope the link works
Stuart
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Untitled (3 min 11 sec)

See if this one plays
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Yeah Stuart,

Well ok ... at a loss for words ... I am now fumbling around for a few fitting words here to entice you to actually convert this thing into a flying machine. If you can get this thing to work in a flying working wing ... then you you will be elevated to god status in my town !! Really cool stuff I am impressed.

Jens
kleinaberfein is offline Find More Posts by kleinaberfein
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Phew!the first one won't play back on the iPad for some reason,it was sent in high res.The second is low res,poor quality but at least it plays.
The traverse covers 70* and takes about four minutes.I've got faster drive options on the way,another vid when they arrive.
The thing has got lots of torque.On one traverse I held onto the discs to put some weight on the drive(I'd marked some reference points on the disc by this stage)It felt as if the whole thing was going to move across the bench
When I returned to the start point the marks were still in line,so no slip.I need to try this again one disc at a time.
Stuart
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Thanks Jens.I'm well pleased(and not a little relieved!)that the thing works so well.
Mark is having a go at designing a centre section.You said a while ago something about building your own version-----
Regards Stuart
Btw,does the first video play?
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:39 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
Ooooooooooooh..... that's how is works ! I get it now. Thanks for the video.

First video works perfectly. It should be as simple as posting the video to Vimeo or YouTube then cut/paste the URL from that page right in the body of your RC Groups post. YouTube is apparently aware your your computers video playback speed and offers all videos in a variety of resolutions, so that everybody can play them. My videos are shot at 1080p, which is high, but can be played 320p on YouTube.

That is agricultural. I see what you mean now. You could replace the servo with a small motor that spins at a high rpm and then it would be too fast. With a gear reduction via drive pulleys, it could be attractive. Also, there is no automatic stop, so as the pilot you'd have to judge from the ground when to stop the swing wing thing. Certainly do-able.

Since we're still in prototype-ville, I've attached a sketch of a suggestion. If the linkages between the nut drive at the threaded rod and the wing was very robust, this approach would be a durable way to hold the wings.

Kent

Edit: I just noticed that I had posted some thing very similar to this previously. Not being pushy, just forgetful.
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Sep 03, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jens.I'm well pleased(and not a little relieved!)that the thing works so well.
Mark is having a go at designing a centre section.You said a while ago something about building your own version-----
Regards Stuart
Btw,does the first video play?
Yes, both versions play. About 1/2 done with the drawing. You have a link to the pulleys that you are using that have the tech specs? I'm thinking that given that the Gulliver is a prime candidate for the build, I'm thinking that maybe a more compact, though a bit more complex step up drive system might be in order, unless we start talking mitered gears, then we could go directly to a 20:1 with little trouble.

After seeing the speed, and given the proposed platform, I'm starting to think about an exponential step up drive. Let me crunch some numbers real quick and you can let me know at what point sounds acceptable for speed.

Oh, and I think maybe you should of typed the servo speed as 1.04 RPS, which would work out to 62.4 RPM, which sounds about right.

Mark
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Kent,thanks,I think I've cracked the Vimeo thing.iPad doesn't seem to like HD for some reason.
Bought some linkages similar to your sketch,when I've done a bit more on this system I'm going to dismantle the slide element and try them.I thing the gear tooth idea may have to be simplified to triangular teeth,but Id like to give it a go.

Mark,I'll put up a pic of the specs next post.If I recall correctly the existing pulley has 16t,I've got a 32t and 48t on the way,with belts to suit.
Could a motor of the type in the post above be used as a drive?
Rps
Regards Stuart
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Mark,they are as I said 16t driven,32 and 48 to come.
I like this site,well worth a browse.They have some neat stuff.
Stuart
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Mark,they are as I said 16t driven,32 and 48 to come.
I like this site,well worth a browse.They have some neat stuff.
Stuart
Yea, That's the info i was looking for. That should make things simple.

Mark