HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Question
FMS 1400mm FW-190

I just got a new FMS FW-190 and everything works except the landing will not respond. I changed receivers (Futaba 6EX transmitter and 6 channel receiver) that work in other airplanes - but no luck. The flaps, ailerons and lights check good on the wing but the landing gear will not respond. Has anyone had the some problem? Any suggestions for a fix? I purchased the plane from Banana Hobby a week ago.
Thank you,
Tom
totalperfm is offline Find More Posts by totalperfm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Hey Tom,
You should come join us over here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617976

We all have experienced the retract issue to some degree. It comes down to certain receivers are not compatible with the retracts. Its been discovered that the retracts themselves are the problem but most of us are flying fine with certain receivers. I fly mine with and AR7000 with no issues. Since I am not a Futaba guy I cannot recommend which Futaba receiver is working but if you ask the futaba users in the thread they will probably have better information for you.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old May 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
FW-190 Gear

Thank you Orion!
Tom
Old May 18, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Orion,
I tried the FW-190 landing gear with an 8 CH OrangeRX FASST (Futaba 6EX TR) receiver and a 60A Electricfly ESC - the gear worked intermittently. However, when I changed to the stock FW-190 65A ESC with the OrangeRX FASST receiver, the gear worked perfectly - figure that one out. Should I disassemble the landing gear as shown in your video or can I fly without going through the process?
Thanks fo your help. Please pass this on to the other folks.
Tom
Old May 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
My video with the dis-assembly of the gear is just an instructional so that folks can see how it comes apart if they feel the need to tweak anything. The most I would do would be to thread lock the areas I pointed out so that the gear does not come loose on you during operations.

Glad you got the plane up and running and I hope you enjoy her.

Orion
Old May 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Orion,
I took the motor out to check the grub screw - it looked good. I tested the motor while it was out and after two idle tests the motor wouldn't respond to the ESC. The landing gear worked but the motor wouldn't respond. I tried another one of my ESCs and the motor responded. I'm not sure if BH will replace it. I might buy an 80A ESC and see if everything will work at one time. I hope I can get all the gremlins out at one time and have fun flying it in the future. Looks like I'll have to wait another week before I can fly it.
Take care,
Tom
Old May 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Tom,
As we have been flying our planes, we have discovered that the grub screw and wheel collar on the back of the motor were not the cause of motor failure. It turns out that it is the armature that the coils are on is not glued well enough. I have a video of me fixing this problem with some JB Weld or equivelent glue.

FMS 580 Motor Repair HD (14 min 41 sec)

Now, if the motor has come loose in any of your throttle tests then it can pull the wires through the housing and short out the esc. Smell the esc to see if it smells of burnt electronics and check and see if there wires are being pulled through the housing.

Orion
Old May 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Orion,
I have not flown the FW-190 yet. I going install an 80A ESC. I watched your video on the motor repair. I took my motor apart but I couldn't get my armature to separate from the backplate. Did some of the folks get good motors? Is mine good enough to fly? I also fitted the magnet housing from the 4650 -580Kv on an armature from one of my 4650-500Kv motors - it seemed to fit real well. Can I run this configuration or will I damage the motor?
Thanks,
Tom
Old May 25, 2012, 07:46 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Tom, I think a few were not having any problems at all. I can't guaranteed that your motor is good enough to fly but if you twisted on it real good then I don't see why not. I don't know about the 580 housing on the 500 armature. Never done it and I don't recall anyone else mentioning such a configuration. I would do some bench testing. I would run the 580 with the stock prop and have a watt meter hooked up and see what you get and then repeat the process with the 580 kv housing on the 500 armature and compare the results. That will provide you with a better answer then I could.

Orion
Old May 26, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Thank you Orion,
I'll let you know when I get it in the air. I will do the bench testing on the motors.
Thanks,
Tom