HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
Don't know of any hobby shops here in Gastonia. The only one we had was a small shop in the Gaston mall and it has been closed for over a year now. I haven't ventured out toward Charlotte or Rock Hill yet to see if there are others cause it's a 30 min drive in either direction. If you find a good place and they have good replacements, let me know. It might wind up being worth the trip in a pinch.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
Don't know of any hobby shops here in Gastonia. The only one we had was a small shop in the Gaston mall and it has been closed for over a year now. I haven't ventured out toward Charlotte or Rock Hill yet to see if there are others cause it's a 30 min drive in either direction. If you find a good place and they have good replacements, let me know. It might wind up being worth the trip in a pinch.
Theres Hobby Stop in rock hill (pretty sure that's the name), may want to give them a ring. I use Hobbytown in Mooresville & North Charlotte maybe worth a try also.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
Thanks Diesel6401 for the info on the hobby shop. I'll check them out and see what they have.

How's your EXI build coming along?

I am completely done with the tail on my Tarot. Tore down the tail rotor assy and put locktite on everything, installed the tail boom, boom struts, servo control rod, fins and blades. I also grounded my tail boom and pinned it.

Haven't been able to do much else other than locktite all the necessary frame and landing skid screws. Did all except for the main bearing block screws since I'll have to remove them to install the servos.

I got my KST DS115MG servo in the mail yesterday that I'm going to use on the tail. Still waiting for Xheli to get some more of those Solar D654 servo's back in stock so I can order some for the cyclics.

I also haven't done anything with the rotor head cause I'm going to switch it out with a FBL.

I ordered a few other parts a few days ago. Walkera RX802 receiver, V2 battery mount, canopy, spare frame screw set, banana connectors and battery straps. Not a whole lot, but picking my list off a little at a time. I've got my money set aside for those servos and a pair of Sky Lipo 11.1v 2200mAh 30C batteries, so hopefully they will come in stock soon. Then I just need to get the ESC, motor, FBL head, and ZYX gyro and I should be pretty close to having everything.

Here's some pics of it so far.

Name: 450 Pro 001.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 218.4 KB
Description: This neon green should be pretty visible in the air!Name: 450 Pro 002.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 139.3 KB
Description: I also have a neon green vertical fin that came with the horizontal fin, but thought it was too much green in one area and it drowned out the blades.
Name: 450 Pro 003.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 158.5 KB
Description: Pinned the boom using a spare screw from the kit and cut it short to make sure it cleared the belt when it went through.Name: 450 Pro 004.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 210.1 KB
Description: Ground wire running from tail boom to motor mount. I will solder the end coming off the motor mount to the negative ESC wire when I install the banana plugs on it.
Name: 450 Pro 008.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 201.0 KB
Description: Name: 450 Pro 009.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 185.4 KB
Description:

Let me know how your coming along.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,024 Posts
No problem. I'm at a standstill right now sadly. My BDay is end of the month 29th. So hopefully I get some hobby funds.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
Well an early Happy B-day to ya! Hope you get a few spare bucks to spend on the heli.

Don't know if you are a Dad, but that's coming up too! I'm hoping my wife and kids will throw me a few bucks for parts as well. I told them that's all I needed if they got me anything at all!

I have become resourceful and have been finding things laying around the house that haven't been used or touched in years. Been putting them up on Ebay and have sold $480 worth of stuff just in the last few weeks! Had to give some to my wife, but took my half and started ordering stuff!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
Well an early Happy B-day to ya! Hope you get a few spare bucks to spend on the heli.

Don't know if you are a Dad, but that's coming up too! I'm hoping my wife and kids will throw me a few bucks for parts as well. I told them that's all I needed if they got me anything at all!

I have become resourceful and have been finding things laying around the house that haven't been used or touched in years. Been putting them up on Ebay and have sold $480 worth of stuff just in the last few weeks! Had to give some to my wife, but took my half and started ordering stuff!
Thanks and yes this will be my first fathers day, my son turned 10 months today. .
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2012
65 Posts
I'm nearing completion on my EXI 450. It's been one heck of an experience to be sure! For one thing I want to kill the person who thought it was a good idea not to include 2mm washers in the kit. Seriously, throw them in EXI! I also learned I don't much care for Loctite. I spent hours trying to get my motor to work, then I finally found a video that Mikey's RC put out (God Bless that man btw!) which explained that I had my esc plugged into the wrong channel on my receiver. Silly me thinking I had to plug it into the channel marked batt instead of channel 3. Words can not describe the feeling of utter joy I had when that motor fired up after plugging it into the right channel! Why Flysky doesn't let on to this little extremely important fact in the manual is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm to the point now where I'm trying to center my tail servo, but haven't made much headway other than to adjust the subtrim all the way out on the rudder. I feel like there's got be a better way to do this but I haven't figured it out yet. Oh and one other thing. I've read countless posts about people complaining about the cheap screws that these clone kits use. I'm happy to report that I didn't have a problem with any of them. I will say though that my $5 Heli tool kit from China would not work well with some of the hex screws. Luckily my hex kit from Lowes ($4.00) worked perfect for them.
kbohip is offline Find More Posts by kbohip
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
What washers did you need that weren't in the kit?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
I ordered the Tarot ZYX-S gyro yesterday. One more thing closer to getting it in the air!!

Got my canopy in today to match my green tail blades and fins I got. My 3 daughters helped me pick out the colors and were excited to see it all together as am I!!! Coming along slowly, but getting there. At least it looks pretty good sitting static. Just can't wait to see it in the air!!

Name: Tarot 450 Pro 001.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 312.1 KB
Description: Name: Tarot 450 Pro 005.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 266.7 KB
Description:
Name: Tarot 450 Pro 008.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 197.6 KB
Description:
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Hey everyone!! Looks like I found the right thread! I have the HK450 V2 which is the same as what you Guys have. Just thought I'd share my experience so far. I've been into rc stuff since I was a kid. Got into planes a couple years ago and have been completely obsessed ever since. This is my first heli other than coaxial indoor types. The build wasn't too bad and I purchased everything from HK for around $100. (Minus batts and Rx/tx)

Turnigy 4400kv heli motor
50 amp redbrick ESC
Turnigy 1800 3 pack for cyclic servos
HK922 digital metal gear high speed servo for tail
HK401b gyro
11t pinion gear

I think that's it. Just been practicing hovering and messin with dark horse calculator to get a stable head speed. Pretty much got her dialed in as of now (except after yesterday!) I've been practicing in real flight a lot and I figured I would give some forward flight a try in my front yard, BAD IDEA!! Not enough room, got too close to a bush and over corrected! Damage report is bent main shaft and flybar (I think that's all, not sure yet) anyway, I'm down for at least a week right now so I thought I would share on here. Thanks for listening . I have a couple of boring hover videos on YouTube if you want to check it out... Username is chuckman49

Those were before I had a good head speed established, hovers way better now (well not right now)
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the OEM 450 V2 package? Parents just bought it for me and a MJX F45 for my brother. Hasn't arrived yet, still in FedEx transit. My Dad is concerned about the quality given the price. After reading some comments and advice in another thread on this forum, I'm a little scared about if it will be a little too much for me. I got 2 years flying, but 4 ch FP's only. The one I'm coming out of is almost a 400 size. I gotta admit, I'm a little antsy about the what's in the box too,... 169 bucks for a RTF 450 CP? That's about what 450 clone body kits are costing I think! Anyways, I was just hoping someone else out there has some time with this package and say a few things about it. You know, stuff that's good and stuff that bad.

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-450-2-4Ghz...rtf+helicopter
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Jr.Sax View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the OEM 450 V2 package? Parents just bought it for me and a MJX F45 for my brother. Hasn't arrived yet, still in FedEx transit. My Dad is concerned about the quality given the price. After reading some comments and advice in another thread on this forum, I'm a little scared about if it will be a little too much for me. I got 2 years flying, but 4 ch FP's only. The one I'm coming out of is almost a 400 size. I gotta admit, I'm a little antsy about the what's in the box too,... 169 bucks for a RTF 450 CP? That's about what 450 clone body kits are costing I think! Anyways, I was just hoping someone else out there has some time with this package and say a few things about it. You know, stuff that's good and stuff that bad.

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-450-2-4Ghz...rtf+helicopter

Simulator time is your friend!! I've been practicing a lot on the simulator which in my opinion is harder than the real thing. Once you master the simulator, should be no problem for you. Mine was a kit (see above post) so was not ready to fly. After flying (hovering) for a bit I can recommend a couple things. If the tail unit is plastic, replace it now!! One rough landing is all it will take for the metal screws to strip the plastic housing. Xheli.com sells 450 replacement parts and also on eBay. Replaced my plastic tail last night with the metal one and WOW! What a difference. I also ordered a blue metal entire tail assembly last week, just have to be patient as its coming from china :-) over time just replace plastic parts with metal and you will be fine. Crashing, fixing, upgrading, that's just part of the hobby! Sim time, and enjoy!!
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Simulator time is your friend!! I've been practicing a lot on the simulator which in my opinion is harder than the real thing. Once you master the simulator, should be no problem for you. Mine was a kit (see above post) so was not ready to fly. After flying (hovering) for a bit I can recommend a couple things. If the tail unit is plastic, replace it now!! One rough landing is all it will take for the metal screws to strip the plastic housing. Xheli.com sells 450 replacement parts and also on eBay. Replaced my plastic tail last night with the metal one and WOW! What a difference. I also ordered a blue metal entire tail assembly last week, just have to be patient as its coming from china :-) over time just replace plastic parts with metal and you will be fine. Crashing, fixing, upgrading, that's just part of the hobby! Sim time, and enjoy!!
Hey thanks Mr. Chuckman for the great advice. Checked out your YT channel and man,... you fly just just about everything with a radio in it! Man, that's so cool. So cool! So you're saying swap out everything from plastic to metal from the first tic-toc, or crash-n-burn a couple times and replace as needed? I hear ya on the sim. I'm gonna order one of those tomorrow,... any recommendations? Will I be able to use either one of the radios that come with the MJX F45 and/or my 450 clone? Or is it best to get a sim with it's own controller included? I haven't done much research into those, plan to do some serious googling as soon as I finish with this thread. I think I'll prolly be using my Halo 4 money, so I'll prolly be limited to about 60 bucks. Hope that'll do a decent sim,... I can live with Halo 3 a few more months. To be honest, I was already considering using my Halo money on one of the $100 mini 6ch birds as a trainer, but that would have meant I would have to wait and see what kinda money envelopes I'd have under the tree. I have enough now to order a good sim tomorrow,... I think! I just read thru a thread last night where everybody was talking about this new V922.

Don't know if you've had the chance to pound the link I put in my post and look at the specs on the OEM 450, but the Tx the OEM 450 comes with is the 6CH 2.4GHZ FS-CT6B TX. I've been hearing a lot about Phoenix, so I'll start my search with that one. Hey, I also hear a lot of people talking about a 'Computer Tx', I'm thinking they're all computers. Is there a difference between a computer Tx and the normal 6ch radios I've been reading about? Or do some people just put the word 'computer' in there when they write about the radios?

Tell Jake I said 'Hi'. Man,... he ain't gonna have to worry about gettin' his hands on top notch gear when he starts flyin'. He's in for some serious hangar options when you go 500 and 600! WooHoo! And I ain't even talkin' fixed wing yet! That reminds me of my uncle. He got his planes from his father, a Ring Master and a Flight Streak, Jr. But they live on a string hanging from the ceiling in my cousin's room. My cousin says those planes were from way back when RC hadn't been invented yet and they flew on a string or something. That musta been weird.

Anyways, thanks again for all the advice! And I'll let you everybody know what I got in the box when it arrives.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
RC Flight vs RealityCraft Mode 2 vs Dynam? Looks like all of them come with controllers. Dynam is the cheapest,... still wondering if I can save a little and use one of the controllers coming with F45 or OEM 450 V2.

Oh wait,... I just found one from Exceed/ESKY for only $19.99. Anybody ever use this one? Recommended?

http://www.xheli.com/exrcflsitrki.ht...FQJx4AodgEUAzw
Last edited by Eric.Jr.Sax; Dec 02, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:43 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,024 Posts
Selling my 450 from this thread guys... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820259

Some how I got addicted to helis really fast and ended up with (2) Blade 450x, Trex 500FBL, nano-cp a trex450 i need to fix as well as 3 brand new planes all in the last week. I need to recoup some funds and need some addiction theropy .... If any one has a Blade 400 and need a good parts supply let me know as well. I also have some trex 250s for sale. Gotta sale before the wife sees the CC bill or I'm dead....