HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Help!
Banana hobby (starmax) F-18 70mm V2 control surface/CG help

Learning a lot on this build. It's my second EDF but the directions seem to be leaving out some key information.

Does anyone have a suggested amount of aileron, elevator, and rudder deflection from neutral controls? Also, I've read a lot here starting the CG is tail heavy. Is it best to just correct with noise down trim?

I haven't maidened this one yet but want it to be successful, of course. Any help would be great. I am using a spektrum DX6I with 6210 receiver.

Thanks in advance!
Ziffnab is offline Find More Posts by Ziffnab
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
I finished the build and had the maiden flight a few days ago. It was a good flight! The airplane worked as adertised (not sure of the top end speed but it was fast).

The jet rolled quickly and snapped out of it just as clean. I had lots of trouble with the landings because I just couldn't get it to go slow enough...wow can this thing fly slow!. Rudder was really helpful at slow speed when landing. Additionally, heavy rudder input would make the airplane climb and roll...almost like a snap roll.

I tuned the rudder to 85% of max wih no dual rate, and reduced that to 45% with dual rates on. You don't need much rudder input at all on this jet.

Anyway, lots of fun and maybe a better belly lander although the gear is really strong on it (trust me, my landings aren't good and they are still holding strong)

Cheers!
Ziffnab is offline Find More Posts by Ziffnab
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:09 PM
Jet-Addicted!
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined May 2012
170 Posts
Cool to hear that you like this plane - I just maidened mine this weekend and had a blast flying it all weekend. Yes IT DOES fly great slow.. this is one of the best performing stock EDFs out there, I love it..

What did you do to make the gear so sturdy????**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziffnab View Post
I finished the build and had the maiden flight a few days ago. It was a good flight! The airplane worked as adertised (not sure of the top end speed but it was fast).

The jet rolled quickly and snapped out of it just as clean. I had lots of trouble with the landings because I just couldn't get it to go slow enough...wow can this thing fly slow!. Rudder was really helpful at slow speed when landing. Additionally, heavy rudder input would make the airplane climb and roll...almost like a snap roll.

I tuned the rudder to 85% of max wih no dual rate, and reduced that to 45% with dual rates on. You don't need much rudder input at all on this jet.

Anyway, lots of fun and maybe a better belly lander although the gear is really strong on it (trust me, my landings aren't good and they are still holding strong)

Cheers!
NickFox is offline Find More Posts by NickFox
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:09 AM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
761 Posts
Check out this thread, there is a lot of info there on this jet, even a good battery bay mod!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253353

With two rudders at 45% movement your still at 90% input of a single rudder jet, try about 35%, that is what I have mine at to avoid that overbearing quick response
Great jet, good luck with it
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
330 Posts
where can i buy parts for this plane
dirdredd is offline Find More Posts by dirdredd