HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Mini-Review
MyRcMart's X450Q Quadcopter Review

EDIT: For reasons I will not disclose publicly, I had to remove all videos and images from this thread. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to people who posted in the thread and to other readers.

I recently received the X450Q from www.myrcmart.com. In this thread I will review each components I received from myrcmart. I will also add my own personal opinion regarding this quad and I will add a few flight videos to let you have a look at how it flies.

First Impression: Excellent. This was my first build. I had to do a bit of research online and I also had a friend answer some questions for me, but I have to say, it was very easy to build. Everything worked as it should and within less than 4 hours after I opened the box, I was flying it. This quad is super stable, very fast and very agile. I am super stoked with this quad. I'm having a lot of fun with it. This is what the final build looks like. (The cover over the electronics is DIY) I'm using all RCX components. Frame, ESCs, motors and battery are all by RCX. Works perfectly.

Packaging: Everything came in a relatively small box and it was well packaged. Everything was there. It was ready to build. As mentioned, this was my first build so I didn't know what I needed. In fact, I was clueless. I didn't know what ESCs I needed, what motors, what propellers, etc. The good folks at MyRcMart were very helpful. They knew exactly what this quad needed, not only to fly well, but also to perform well. I will add flight videos below for you to have a look. Now let's have a look at what came in my box (Note: The parts have to be purchased separately. If you are not sure what to order, ask the good folks at MyRcMart. They can help you.)

The Frame

Note: Seen in the picture above is a quadrocopter configuration but the frame can also be assembled in a Xcopter configuration. MyRcMart sells various frame configurations, as well. http://www.myrcmart.com/rc-multicopt...dsktl9f6pjslq2

Specifications:

The booms are extremely sturdy. I'd say they are almost unbreakable. The center plates are fiberglass and they are also very sturdy. The frame comes with English instructions, all necessary screws, double sided sticky tape and a battery strap.

-450mm motor to motor
-Frame Weight: Approx. 282g
-Flying Weight: 800g-1600g

The Motors

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-bc282615...ts-p-3772.html

The motors are doing the job impeccably for me. After a 12 minute flight flying aggressively, they are barely warm. They come with props adapters.

Specifications:

-Model: BC2826-15
-Motor size: Ф27.7*26.3mm
-Shaft size: Ф3.175*37mm
-Weight: 50g
-KV(rpm/v): 930
-Max Power: 130W
-Max Current: 12A
-Max Pull (Approx.): 645g
-Suitable Propeller: 12x6 / 10x7
-Suitable Battery: 2-3S Li-Po
-Suitable ESC(A): 40A
-Ri(M Ω): 0.139

The ESCs

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-30a-esc-...es-p-3786.html

Programmable Features:

-Brake setting
-Battery type
-Low voltage cut off
-Low voltage threshold
-Start up mode
-Timing

Specifications:

-Continuous Current: 30A
-Burst Current: 40A
-Input Voltage: Lipo 2-4 Cells
-Input Voltage: NiMH NiCd 6-16.8V
-BEC: 5V 2A
-Size: 26*23*11mm
-AWG Cable: 16#
-Weight: 23g
-PDF English Manual Download

My Batteries

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-lipolyme...5c-p-4180.html

These batteries are working very well for me. I get around 12 minutes flights with them and the power is excellent.

Specifications:

-Dimension: Approx. 23 x 35 x 112mm (dimension could be slightly different from time to time)
-Weight: Approx. 180g
-Connector Type: XT-60
-Recommended Charge Current: 1~2C (not recommended to use very high current for charging)

The KK board

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-kk-multi...am-p-4351.html

For more information about this flight controller, follow the above link. I will not review this KK board in this thread because there already is a wealth of information about this board on rcgroups. All I will say is that it's easy to setup, easy to flash with the KK flash tool, and it works amazingly well. MyRcMart sells this board for under 15 dollars!!! This is a joke! It's incredibly cheap for what you get and it's a fantastic platform for acrobatic flight. See flight demonstration below to see what I mean. (Note: To flash the board, you will need to download the KK flash tool and you will also need a USB programmer. It's inexpensive. MyRcMart sells a compatible programmer for about 4 dollars.)

Pros:

-This quad flies superbly. It is fast, agile and very stable.
-Durable construction
-It's not expensive!!! My frame cost 12.99$, the motors are 7.99$, the ESCs are 9.99$, the KK board is 12.99$. I mean come on!!! This is such a great value for the money. Awesome bang for your bucks!
-Easy to build and setup.
-There is a wealth of information online to help you build this quad
-Easy to fly
-Can be flown with just about any brand receivers

Cons:

-I find the legs on the frame are a bit too short to fit the battery under the frame. I solved this easily by adding little rubber boots on each leg and I reinforced them with carbon fiber.

Final word:

As mentioned, this was my first build. The build went smooth and it was fun. I think I said just about everything that needs to be said about this RCX build. I'm loving this bird! Special thanks to MyRcMart for your help and also special thanks to a good friend in Pennsylvania for answering my questions. He posts here, on rcgroups, under the nick Dnegel05. Now I think it's time to let a video or two speak for themselves.

I hope you enjoyed the review and the flight demos below.

Best,
Chris

RCX X-450 Quadcopter Fast Flight and Commentaries (11 min 57 sec)

RCX X-450 Short Indoor Flight (2 min 10 sec)
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Jun 28, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
I put together a step by step tutorial on how to build this quadcopter. It's a series of six videos in which I build this quad from the ground up. I posted a thread about this and you can find it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post21598623

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 13, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
I added LEDs to this bird today. It really helps with visibility and it also makes it possible to fly at night. I'm loving it. Here's a video. It wasn't quite night time yet, but it was getting pretty dark. Not really possible to fly too far without LEDs.

http://youtu.be/tQH-EbYRHLU

And this one is when it's completely dark:

http://youtu.be/meG7NPp_n8I

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; May 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,816 Posts
Cool Quad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I added LEDs to this bird today. It really helps with visibility and it also makes it possible to fly at night. I'm loving it. Here's a video. It wasn't quite night time yet, but it was getting pretty dark. Not really possible to fly too far without LEDs.

http://youtu.be/tQH-EbYRHLU

And this one is when it's completely dark:

http://youtu.be/meG7NPp_n8I

Best,
Chris
Dang, can she ever move in the wide-open spaces.
Very Cool twilight flight with your Lit-up Quad Chris, it got me giddy with exitement with it's stability and ability to be flown around Dusk and beyond! What lighting did you use... a generic larger-bird LED kit? nice job!
With this quad, how sporty can it be flown? can an experienced pilot eventually do flips/rolls n' dives like in that crazy "best toy ever" Multicopter video... or does it depend on which "board" you build it with?

I don't know if my incoming Ladybird/Devo10 RTF from WOW comes with the 10ch receiver? I would plan on using the Devo10 for this quad when I get around to building one.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old May 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Thank you, Sir.

The lights are twelve inches long pre-made LED strips with 3M double sided sticky tape. They come with the sticky tape and they are molded into a clear rubber housing. I found them in a LED specialized store, here, in Taiwan.

This quad will most definitely flip and roll easily. The KK board is a pretty aggressive acrobatic platform. It depends which firmware you flash the board with but all KK boards can be setup for top notch acrobatic maneuvers. The better the weight vs thrust ratio is, the more aggressive a quad can be. I have not tested the thrust nor have I weighed this quad, but I can see that it will flip very easily. I know I can flip it now using only 70% servo throw so I think if I crank it up to 120% and upward, it will be a pretty aggressive.

I will show flips with it sooner than later.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined May 2010
335 Posts
is your esc can be flashed with simonk firmware?
bigbro3760 is offline Find More Posts by bigbro3760
Old May 17, 2012, 04:34 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Thank you, Sir.

The lights are twelve inches long pre-made LED strips with 3M double sided sticky tape. They come with the sticky tape and they are molded into a clear rubber housing. I found them in a LED specialized store, here, in Taiwan.

This quad will most definitely flip and roll easily. The KK board is a pretty aggressive acrobatic platform. It depends which firmware you flash the board with but all KK boards can be setup for top notch acrobatic maneuvers. The better the weight vs thrust ratio is, the more aggressive a quad can be. I have not tested the thrust nor have I weighed this quad, but I can see that it will flip very easily. I know I can flip it now using only 70% servo throw so I think if I crank it up to 120% and upward, it will be a pretty aggressive.

I will show flips with it sooner than later.

Best,
Chris
Ok, I thought your Quad's LEDs looked kinda like PC LED strips.... makes for some very bright Night Lites on a big quad. I also LOVe the ANGRY SWARM of Bees sound she makes when swooping by you.
Very nice to hear that the KK board is easily flashable, and can be very sporty!
Aiiiii!, you're going to flip that beast already?? sounds like you're taking to the quad... like a duck to water! I'd need an extra pair of "shorts" on hand for that!

Too bad I missed your Genius sale... my funds are tied-up in my Ladybird/Devo10 that only shipped yesterday.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old May 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbro3760 View Post
is your esc can be flashed with simonk firmware?

Sorry, bigbro. I don't actually know.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Aiiiii!, you're going to flip that beast already?? sounds like you're taking to the quad... like a duck to water! I'd need an extra pair of "shorts" on hand for that!
LOL... I plan to attempt my first flips with it tomorrow if weather allows. Been raining non stop for a week, here, which is odd for the month of May. I think it will flip easily. I mean, I can do double flips with the Ladybird and it's SO small and hard to see. This thing is big and the recovery after aggressive maneuvers is WAY better than the LB. It doesn't even compare. WAY more power, too. I was just doing some tuning in my basement and I now have ailerons and elevator maxed out to 150% in preparation for tomorrow's 3D attempts and I'm flying it fine, indoors. I actually like more throw because it's so much more responsive to stick input. I can tip it to nearly 90 degrees(in short bursts) indoor now and I barely need to touch the sticks. It will flip. Guaranteed!

Quote:
I thought your Quad's LEDs looked kinda like PC LED strips....
The image below will give you a better idea.
Quote:
I also LOVe the ANGRY SWARM of Bees sound she makes when swooping by you.
Not angy bees... Angry Birds, mate. Angry Birds!!!

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Quote:
It's flipping. It's flipping easily. I found out how to switch to acro mode using stick commands. I will add this to my tutorials when I get a chance. Flips are smooth and recovery is brutally awesome. Hoping to have time to video some acrobatics tomorrow, weather allows. I'll post the videos here.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Alright so... Been flipping this thing a lot. The minute I turn on the camera I crash. Go figure... Too bad, I'm posting the video anyways. You'll see flips and a nasty crash at the end. I trashed 4 props and had to rinse two motors with water because they were full of mud. This was filmed today and she's back in the air already. Good thing props are cheap.

I also bashed the angry bird cover. It was not a permanent fixture, though. Just a joke. Glad I broke it. Gave me an excuse to remove it.

RCX450 quad doing flips and brutal crash ending (3 min 19 sec)

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Oct 2006
55 Posts
how did you attach the flight controller to the frame?
fayrwerks is offline Find More Posts by fayrwerks
Old May 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayrwerks View Post
how did you attach the flight controller to the frame?

I used Nylon screws. If you want to see how I did it, have a look at this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651616

I show this at about 6mins mark of video number 3.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 29, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2008
425 Posts
Quad build

Chris, 1st of all I want to thank you for the great job you did on the video series of building and testing your 450 quad, that is very "unselfish" of you to put so much time and effort into the project for the benefit of others....!!! I am a long time experienced(decades) rc heli flyer and have been getting bored with cp heli`s at least for the present and notice alot of interest in quads these days. But like myself , so many are totally confused on what to build and how to setup for the "best bang for the buck" and just plain fun. I am wondering if you had it to do over again would you still go for the Rcmart quad you built or would you go another route with a different size and maybe a different controller other than the kk board....? I think I will skip the MQX and Ladybird quads since it appears with so many for sale here on RC Groups that alot of sellers want to step up to bigger and more sophisticated machines.....!!!! I would appreciate any input you can offer from your recent experience with the quads you have tried....Thanks again for the great "How to" Videos.....!!!!
N3SHXX is online now Find More Posts by N3SHXX
Old May 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3SHXX View Post
Chris, 1st of all I want to thank you for the great job you did on the video series of building and testing your 450 quad, that is very "unselfish" of you to put so much time and effort into the project for the benefit of others....!!! I am a long time experienced(decades) rc heli flyer and have been getting bored with cp heli`s at least for the present and notice alot of interest in quads these days. But like myself , so many are totally confused on what to build and how to setup for the "best bang for the buck" and just plain fun. I am wondering if you had it to do over again would you still go for the Rcmart quad you built or would you go another route with a different size and maybe a different controller other than the kk board....? I think I will skip the MQX and Ladybird quads since it appears with so many for sale here on RC Groups that alot of sellers want to step up to bigger and more sophisticated machines.....!!!! I would appreciate any input you can offer from your recent experience with the quads you have tried....Thanks again for the great "How to" Videos.....!!!!
Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words, Sir.

Frankly, I do not regret getting this quad. In fact, I tend to go through many models. I buy, I mod, I fly and I soon sell when I get bored with them. This one, I'm keeping it. The lawnmower effect still intimidates me. It's big and it's very powerful. I have crashed it many times now but almost every time, all I break is props. I don't crash it flying around but I have crashed it while learning to do acrobatics with it. Props from myrcmart are super cheap so I bought an arsenal of them. Like 6 sets. I'm down to about 3 sets now.

On a hard inverted crash, sometimes a motor shaft slips inward. It takes two minutes to set it back in place and so far so good, the motor shafts have not bent. I think RCX stuff is very good bang for your bucks. It's inexpensive but it performs just as well as expensive alternatives, in my opinion. I've crashed this quad in a puddle of mud recently and the motors were literally filled with mud. I ran them under running water until all the dirt came out, let them dry, lubed the bearings and back in the air she was. I really have no complaints.

I broke one boom in a bad crash so far. That said, I have not needed to replace it yet. I have two spare booms. The cost for two spare booms? 5.99$ That's a joke! Incredibly cheap. But I have not needed to replace one yet, as I said. I simply use CA glue and the darn thing holds together superbly until I crash it again. The center plates are also very cheap to replace but they are very solid. Never broke on me.

As for the board, well... I am currently trying to setup a multiwii board and it's a pain in where the light never shines... compared with the KK board. I just received a small frame from the US and I will set it up with a KK board, too, as well as RCX ESCs and motors (parts already received from myrcmart). It's easy to setup and it simply flies superbly. And given the price of the KK board, the choice is easy for someone like me who just wants to fly and do acrobatics. It's a great platform for beginners and also for advanced pilots who like to fly in acro mode. It's cheap and it works... How often can you really say that about anything?

For FPV and aerial photography, other boards will work better, but you better brace yourself for a steep learning curve and for a big dent in your wallet.

So the answer is yes, I would definitely get this quad again given the performance, the easy setup and the affordability. I think it's unmatched in these areas. Plus, now that I have put together a step by step build tutorial, you can't really go wrong with this quad... It will fly for you, and it will perform, too.

Smaller frames/setup are also fun, but there's something about the big 450 that always makes me grin after a good flight. It's like flying a bloody lawnmower. I find it more thrilling than flying smaller quads.

Hope this answers your questions.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor