SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
501 Posts
Cool
Sig Rascal is Back

Looking what is coming back from Sig. A new Rascal setup for EP or GP. Here are the specs, link and picture. I ike the new fiberglass cowl. They got rid of those hardwood beam motor mounts.

Link...
http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV5.html?E+Sig

Specs ..
The RASCAL legend began with a small rubber-powered free-flight model in the 1950s. Adapted for modern radio control, the RASCAL's classic good looks and dream-come-true flying characteristics have made it the favorite everyday airplane of thousands of R/C pilots. This re-design of the popular SIG RASCAL 40 ARF into the RASCAL 72 EG ARF gives you the option of using either glow or electric power. Whichever power system you choose, you'll still enjoy the classic good looks and great flying characteristics of the legendary RASCAL design.

The "RASCAL 40 ARF" is now the "RASCAL 72 EG ARF"

The SIG RASCAL 72 EG is a beautifully handcrafted all-wood ARF. Assembly is fast and simple. All the parts were CAD-drawn, laser-cut, and jig assembled, which means that everything fits the way it should.

A removable hatch makes battery change quick and easy.

SPECIFICATIONS
Wingspan: 72 in 1829 mm
Wing Area: 720 inē 46.5 dmē
Length: 51.75 in 1315 mm
Weight: 5 - 5.5 lbs 2268 - 2495 g
Radio Required:
4-Channel with 5 Standard Servos
Glow Power:
2-Stroke .40-.46 cu. in. (6.5-7.5 cc)
4-Stroke .40-.54 cu. in. (6.5-8.8 cc)
Electric Power:
500 watt (3528-1000 kv) Brushless Motor;
50 - 60A ESC; Lipo Battery Pack
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Your link took me to the Sig homepage. I just tried to post a link to the plane itself but -surprise- mine went to the homepage as well. The Rascal 72 EG can be found under ARFs in the menu on the right side of the screen, though.

The Rascal has always just been one one of those simple, good-looking planes that I'd love to own but don't have
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 13, 2012, 07:38 AM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Here's a link.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Last edited by Wehrdo; May 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Wehrdo, that one goes to the smaller electric-only version...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 13, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I've always loved the looks of the Rascal. I wish I'd bought the micro ARF when it was available.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old May 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
A flying buddy of mine from VA blew up the original Sig Rascal rubber model to around 36" span and, thanks to a very nice benefit of his day job - a laser cutter that would do balsa - made a few part kits. I was lucky enough to get one and it was a cute model.

The Sig versions are altered quite a bit from their original Rascal, but are still neat. Wish they did real kits...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Wehrdo, that one goes to the smaller electric-only version...
I guess for some reason that's what I thought we were talking about. It's changed now.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old May 13, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
The Sig versions are altered quite a bit from their original Rascal, but are still neat. Wish they did real kits...
Back when the small Rascal ARF was on the market and Scott Christensen was alive, I asked about the possibility of the tiny ARF coming out in kit form. His answer was that ARFs are much more cost-effective than tooling for kits.

Tony
Old May 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Model aircraft vs. 'products'?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I guess it depends on what one is after. I enjoy flying, and watching things fly, and I have a whole fleet of foamies that fly very well. I'm also slowly working my way through a GMP Thermal Charger kit (remember those?), and I'm hoping it will be a good flyer with modern electronics. I saw one at KRC '93, and it looked great, all the while being very slow and loud. I'm building mine with plug-in wing tips for ease of transportation in my rice rocket.

Tony

PS: Sorry for going OT; back to the regularly scheduled thread.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
127 Posts
Has anybody built the new version going electric? If so what motor, ESC are you going to use?

Thanks...
derdude is offline Find More Posts by derdude
Old May 31, 2012, 08:07 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
And I just bought a Rascal 40 kit off Ebay last month. Oh well, always room for another Rascal in my hangar.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:06 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
Last time I checked SIG still had kits for the half-A version. I built the structure for one when they first came out, before LIPO and BL; wish I hadn't given it away.

IIRC, the wood was very good, 1/20 so it would have been nicely light. If I get another, it will be the old rubber model color scheme, available on Paul Bradley's page.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:29 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
138 Posts
Toledo Special or Sig Rascal 72?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post
Looking what is coming back from Sig. A new Rascal setup for EP or GP. Here are the specs, link and picture. I ike the new fiberglass cowl. They got rid of those hardwood beam motor mounts.

Link...

Specs ..
The RASCAL legend began with a small rubber-powered free-flight model in the 1950s. Adapted for modern radio control, the RASCAL's classic good looks and dream-come-true flying characteristics have made it the favorite everyday airplane of thousands of R/C pilots. This re-design of the popular SIG RASCAL 40 ARF into the RASCAL 72 EG ARF gives you the option of using either glow or electric power. Whichever power system you choose, you'll still enjoy the classic good looks and great flying characteristics of the legendary RASCAL design.

The SIG RASCAL 72 EG is a beautifully handcrafted all-wood ARF. Assembly is fast and simple. All the parts were CAD-drawn, laser-cut, and jig assembled, which means that everything fits the way it should.

SPECIFICATIONS
Radio Required:
Glow Power:
Electric Power:
The Toledo Special is my favorite taildragger sport trainer electic. See this link:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...40-arf-HAN4860

I'm using two for training purposes using a buddy box. I added 80 degree down flaps because the airframe is like a hotliner motor glider. She just wants to glide and glide and glide! Even with the throttle off and wind milling drag of the 10-6 to 13-10 props she still needs about 150 ft to land. With flaps she needs about 50 ft. With 20 degree take off flaps she rises off ground in about 20 feet. This is on a 75 watt/pound motor/prop/3cell 2200 system!

The SIG Rascal kit will be released in the next couple of weeks to hobby shops and I hope it will be better than the Toledo Special. There is no online manual so I will have to open up a box at my local hobby shop to see if they have made a better product. PM me if you have questions...Vic
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:45 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
138 Posts
Sig Rascal 13% lighter than Toledo Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT View Post
The Toledo Special is my favorite taildragger sport trainer electic. See this link:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...40-arf-HAN4860

I'm using two for training purposes using a buddy box. I added 80 degree down flaps because the airframe is like a hotliner motor glider. She just wants to glide and glide and glide! Even with the throttle off and wind milling drag of the 10-6 to 13-10 props she still needs about 150 ft to land. With flaps she needs about 50 ft. With 20 degree take off flaps she rises off ground in about 20 feet. This is on a 75 watt/pound motor/prop/3cell 2200 system!

The SIG Rascal kit will be released in the next couple of weeks to hobby shops and I hope it will be better than the Toledo Special. There is no online manual so I will have to open up a box at my local hobby shop to see if they have made a better product. PM me if you have questions...Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post

Link...

Specs ..

SPECIFICATIONS
Radio Required:
Glow Power:
Electric Power:
I've done a quick comparison of the two and the figures indicate that the 72 Rascal is bigger and lighter than the Toledo Special. The weight figures show that it could be 13% lighter than the Toledo Special. If this is obtainable with a light weight electric system than the flying qualities should be much much better. Lighter wing loading is nicer to have and you can add ballast/heavier batteries to fly in higher winds.
The Toledo Special wheel pants had 1/2" cracks after the maiden flight off grass so I added 4 oz glass cloth and epoxy to the inside to make them heavier and stronger. The Rascal pants look to be a different shape. Hopefully they are stronger than the TS pants.
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT