SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
61 Posts
Discussion
Dual motor setup in SK ornithopter?

Is it possible to set up two brushless motors in a Sean Kinkade styled ornithopter to gain the benefits of variable wing flapping speeds to aid in turns etc? It would seem that you would just mirror the existing parts and apply them to the additional motor but is it really this simple?
Socalfusions is offline Find More Posts by Socalfusions
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 05:31 AM
Ursel, Belgium, Europe
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Why can't you have variable wing flapping speeds with one motor?

I don't think you can couple two brushless motors: i think they are going to fight each other.

With 2 brushed motors coupled in series that would work since the current - and therefore the power - gets divided between the two.

Dirk.
swami is offline Find More Posts by swami
Old May 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Why can't you have variable wing flapping speeds with one motor?

I don't think you can couple two brushless motors: i think they are going to fight each other.

With 2 brushed motors coupled in series that would work since the current - and therefore the power - gets divided between the two.

Dirk.
When I said variable wing flapping speeds I meant it as in one wing flaps at a higher or lower rate than the other, unless this is what you were referring to. From what I understand sk style ornis aren't capable of flapping one of the wings at a different rate, they are synced together.

What do you mean when you say coupled in series? If you supplied each motor with its own esc and required gearing up to the conrod etc wouldn't it in essence be a mirrored image of a typical setup with the added benefits of two separate engines?
Socalfusions is offline Find More Posts by Socalfusions
Last edited by Socalfusions; May 13, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
I think Swami was talking about 2 brushed motor in series using 1 brushed ESC ( one motor on each wing ) . Voltage on each motor are shared and when one side gets a heavier load voltage drop ( flaps slower ) and the rest of the voltage transfer to the other motor causing it to spin more ( flaps faster ) , similar reaction as differential gear ( if one wheel get stuck the other spin more ). Its variable wing flapping but not the way you are talking about since there is no way to control it.
Also, the wing flapping can easily get out of sync when they are on separate gearbox and motor.
Marcialtech is offline Find More Posts by Marcialtech
Last edited by Marcialtech; May 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:14 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalfusions View Post
Is it possible to set up two brushless motors in a Sean Kinkade styled ornithopter to gain the benefits of variable wing flapping speeds to aid in turns etc? It would seem that you would just mirror the existing parts and apply them to the additional motor but is it really this simple?
the reason for this?????????? why not just try proportional steering by lowering or raising the trailing edge is much easier the simplier the better IMO regards brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old May 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalfusions View Post
Is it possible to set up two brushless motors in a Sean Kinkade styled ornithopter to gain the benefits of variable wing flapping speeds to aid in turns etc?

- YES

It would seem that you would just mirror the existing parts and apply them to the additional motor but is it really this simple?
- NO

We already discussed the same theme posted from the same guy 3 pages back, just the motors count was up to 4!

The only case in which PROBABLY your idea Socalfusions can be realized in such a simple way is 4 winged ornithopter like Nathan Chronister's one
ornitopter.avi (3 min 11 sec)
seagull10 is offline Find More Posts by seagull10