HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,308 Posts
Build Log
Aerodrome R/C 66" Eindecker - With Wing Warping! In the Air Again With New Photos.

Back a couple of months ago, I was talking to my colleague Frank about projects, and I mentioned to him that I've always wanted to build an Eindecker. Well, he happened to have a 1/6 scale Eindecker that he had put aside that he would be happy to pass to me. Some quick wheeling and dealing and I had a box of balsa tucked under my arm!

So the kit - three sets of detailed plans and a bunch of sheets of laser cut balsa. It also comes with a spoked wheel kit - a jig, balsa, ply and neoprene tire. Provide your own kevlar "spokes." This is a short kit, so some extra parts are required to complete -

2 x 3/8" dowel / CF tube for the wing leading edge
4 x 1/4" wing spars (CF tube recommended)
2 x 1" TE stock
4 x wing bolts (8/32" plus blind nuts)
Kevlar rigging wire & hardware
4-40 bolts and blind nuts
Covering
1/8" and 3/32" music wire
Etc... there is no real list anywhere that I can find, I just studied the plans and looked for stuff that wasn't in the box.

The model does come with a lot of scale(ish) details. There is a balsa pilot (two pieces, fill with foam, carve and paint), a rotary engine (stacks of balsa), machine gun (balsa parts, requires card stock to complete), and I mentioned the wheels. I plan on using the wheels and machine gun, I'll be looking elsewhere for a 1/6 scale WWI pilot, and Frank gave me a 1/6 scale LeRhone plastic engine kit that I will be using instead of the balsa kit included with the model. I've built most of that:

The wings are undercambered, and construction is done by sliding the wing ribs over your 1/4" spars and thin CA'ing them in place. You don't even need to pin anything down if you don't want to - construction is very simple, it takes at most a couple of hours to put together each wing. After all the main ribs are in place, glue on the 3/8" round leading edge, add the false ribs and wing tip details. The wing is designed to use the 1" TE stock as ailerons. I want to make this a fairly good scale project (by my own standards which are random and fickle) so I decided after a fair amount of research to make this a wing warper. I found instructions for a K&W model Eindecker that detailed how to set up the wing warping, so I will be following those fairly closely. I don't expect this to be a stellar performer in the air (I have lots of those) but a great looker on the ground with acceptable handling. Plus I'm very interested to see how well it works! In order to keep the wings slightly flexy (and less expensive) I am using 1/4" dowel instead of CF for the wing spars.

The fuselage is a pretty straight forward build. The laser cut parts fit together like a snap-tite model, I built the box portion of it mostly in my hands and it came out as square as... something that is really square. The rear portion is constructed out of 3/16 square balsa stock which is included in the kit. I did find the included stock to be very nice for sheet balsa, but too soft for sticks and I have broken the rear of the fuselage in many places many times with normal handling. I have purchased some hand selected sticks from the LHS and I'll be rebuilding that. The plans for the model show kevlar wire reinforcement for the tail section, I may do that, or I may just do cross braces.

That's as far as I've done so far, I'll keep everyone posted as progress continues.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Last edited by bwoollia; May 29, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 03:46 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Very nice build sir
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,308 Posts
Don't say that yet - I've only started! It's going fairly well though. The kit is very well designed and everything fits together like it should.
Old May 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,320 Posts
Looks like you are off to a great start buddy!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old May 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
Charles Sherman
Victoria BC
Joined Sep 2009
277 Posts
Howdy. I was considering using that same engine kit in my project. Do you know how much it weighs?

Thanks

Charles
csherman is offline Find More Posts by csherman
Old May 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,308 Posts
Not too much, 66g for mine so far. Considering that most airplanes that used this engine would become tail heavy models, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Old May 12, 2012, 07:27 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
While impressed by this project, I'm not sure whether or not to mention that I once watched the test flight of a similar sized Eindecker, designed and built by a very good English aeromodeller. It was equipped with wing warping. Fortunately, he was also a very good RC flier and got it around to a landing mostly on rudder.

Whatever. A superb project indeed and good luck with it.

Regards

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,308 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of anticipating that. Frank has the 24" Aerodrome R/C Eindecker which is rudder only, which flew fairly well, albeit with some dihedral. I'm expecting a handful to fly, but a scale reward. Thanks for your input.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
Charles Sherman
Victoria BC
Joined Sep 2009
277 Posts
Thanks for taking that measurement.

Weight looks good for me - just have to check that I have space for it.

Charles
csherman is offline Find More Posts by csherman
Old May 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,308 Posts
Rebuilding the rear fuselage. The cross bracing is not in the plan, those call for kevlar reinforcement. This would appear more scale when the sun is shining through the fuselage, I can live with this particular departure from scale as the longerons are too wide anyways.

Old May 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
Palm Desert, California
Joined Sep 2009
90 Posts
bwoollia: I built and have many flights on the AerodromeRC 44" E III. Its a fantastic flier with the ailerons - but be asssured its a good flier with rudder control. I've had fun doing touch and goes with throttle and rudder only. Right rudder works better than left rudder.
Check out the build thread - 66" Fokker E III - AerodromeRC. com - forum.
------Bert
Desert Flyers is offline Find More Posts by Desert Flyers
Old May 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyers View Post
bwoollia: I built and have many flights on the AerodromeRC 44" E III. Its a fantastic flier with the ailerons - but be asssured its a good flier with rudder control. I've had fun doing touch and goes with throttle and rudder only. Right rudder works better than left rudder.
Check out the build thread - 66" Fokker E III - AerodromeRC. com - forum.
------Bert
I saw that thread, thank you! I'm glad to hear that the rudder is effective. Yours is the flat bottomed wing, which may be different. The problem with wing warping on this is that when the trailing edge goes down on the upgoing wing, it causes a lot more drag than the other wing where the TE is pulled up out of the airflow, so adverse yaw is pronounced. I will definitely mix rudder into the wing warping, and vice versa to help make the model perform more conventionally.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:30 PM
Palm Desert, California
Joined Sep 2009
90 Posts
I forgot to mention to use a small amount of rudder to turn - full rudder looks like a slip - adverse yaw to be sure. I also use a whole lot of body english when I use rudder only. I'm sure the model can see my gyrations, so it knows what to do. My transmitter get seasick also.
------Bert
Desert Flyers is offline Find More Posts by Desert Flyers
Old May 13, 2012, 12:07 AM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyers View Post
I forgot to mention to use a small amount of rudder to turn - full rudder looks like a slip - adverse yaw to be sure. I also use a whole lot of body english when I use rudder only. I'm sure the model can see my gyrations, so it knows what to do. My transmitter get seasick also.
------Bert
I'm a fan of body English. I'm certain that sticking my tongue out and using certain facial expressions helps control any model.

Here's my progress to date. Frame is 90% complete I'd say. I have to start bending wire for landing gear and skids, finish details on the fuselage (including carving the cheek cowls from balsa blocks), install servos and rigging, and make the hinges. Wheels and other details need to be done as well.

Old May 13, 2012, 12:35 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
I don't expect it to be a handful to fly - aerodromerc models just aren't. I have built quite a lot of them and been a reseller for a few years and I have never experienced or heard of handling problems. If the incidences are ok and the CG, they are fine; if not, your mileage may vary ...

That having said, I have experimented with wing warping myself and I can say that you will want all the throw you can get and then some for a decent aileron reaction. A standard aileron does not only influence the angle of incidence of the wing part involved (as does wing warping) but changes the lift coefficient as well since it changes the airfoil.Therefore, you will most probably *not* be happy with warp throws which would be solid aileron throws - double or triple should do it (give it more warp up than down).
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi