SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2012, 04:48 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2009
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Looks very neat! ...Hope you get it to work, and I'm sure you will since this is the principle dakarosd is using and its been shown to be quite successful..

Can this gps (which is one of the most popular ones) be used also: FGPMMOPA6B
I plan to share it with the plane and ground station...Can the groundstation remember its position? So that I could put the gps on the groundstation, get lock - it would remeber its position, and then put the gps on the plane.

Any issues if the gps is configured for 10hz and 115200 baudrate.
Thanks.

I'm not familiar with that GPS. I'll have to look it up. I guess any GPS cold be used. It's just a matter of interpreting the messages. I really only included the GPS because the pcb is a modification of a FPV board I designed last year.

The GPS is connected to the uart so it can handle any baud rate with a smart enough program.

The best way would probably be to leave the GPS in the plane, send the data to the ground station and before launching the plane instruct the ground station to use the current plane position as Home.

There ae 4 free I/O connections to the CPU. I was going to use them for 2 servos, a push button and a buzzer.

I have been looking at the Pinguino software. There is a new IDE since I last tried it but a known bug stops it from running on my system; until they build the next version. The older version is working but has a few annoyances of it's own. It would be easier in assembler but I want to keep it close to Arduino compatible; and I need to catch up to speed on this stuff

Paul
PMB-NZ is offline Find More Posts by PMB-NZ
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Very nice! Yes that solution with using the plane starting position would be the best and easiest...What will be the push button's job? Maybe it could be used for manual override if something goes wrong.

Does that chip have some output to connect it to the computer for real-time data display in google earth?

Its also cool that I can quickly source those components you are using: that pic, lm1881 and that other part...I'll just have to find some local guy who will have a programmer to put software on that PIC.
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; May 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:48 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
@Paul,

THANKS!

@all
Version Rx 01c is Ready to roll out, it gives almost 100% integral package reception through RF link when bench tested.

Try it in the field and the results weren't good.
I am in the process of trying to understand why.

This night will write a HowTo to induce you folks to mount the opendiyAT and help me reducing the bugs in the software/hardware.
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old May 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Version 01b/01c is online!!

Added packet verification through a checksum test.

Also the Wiki was UPDATED to help to start with the project, new photos and descriptions

Check the Wiki!
Old May 25, 2012, 02:30 PM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
Sweet stuff dude, many thanks again.
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old May 26, 2012, 07:51 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Today I test the version 01b/01c in the RC field.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a helper (manage to convince my teen to help me ) to pilot the Twinstar and I could focus only in the ground operations.

Also made the video you folks are asking for long:

openDiyAT_Teste26Maio2012.wmv (5 min 32 sec)

I crop The audio but in resume the PAN function worked very well , I test a 360 pan (not in the video) and the tracker just follow me with a small lag (have to increase the update rate).

The TILT was too narrow (in the software it is modded to do 0~90 but in the filed it never pass the mark 0~30 , will investigate why, because in the bench test I can easily obtain 90 tilt.

I have also the tracker output registry, if there is interest I can upload it to the project home in google P.

I think we have in our hands a powerful tool, open, independent and with lots of potential.

What are you guys waiting to build a jig and try this tracker?

I could use some help to debug and develop the software
Old May 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Congratulations! Cool, now if you could test it how it works in the limit of video range ..thats where I'm mostly interested to operate this thing ..I know its maybe counter-intuitative, but it would be nice to get as much range as I can out of the video link, with optimal antenna placement..If audio solution wouldn't work then video solution would be cool.

Its nice that you guys are both developing independant solutions, very interesting!
Last edited by msev; May 26, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
What are you guys waiting to build a jig and try this tracker?

I could use some help to debug and develop the software
You Got it, I just modified a few servos for continuous rotation, need to locate a wheel or some means to transfer motion to the base.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old May 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
709 Posts
You need continuous rotation on the servo.. that time period where the servo is re-centering to the other side may be fatal to a plane..
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
Old May 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
I was motivated to get this tracker working so this morning, I built a foam wheel and mounted the servo. I need to get the tilt built but it will not have to move any great distant because of the nature of the parabolic Reflector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NgohspvA5Y
Last edited by rimshotcopter; May 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Nice, hurry up!
Old May 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
You need continuous rotation on the servo.. that time period where the servo is re-centering to the other side may be fatal to a plane..
Grips,

I use a Dakar/Lynx pan@tilt for so long (much before of any of the commercial solutions available now) and never had any problem with the winch servo for PAN, it turns around in a blink of an eye, in our goggles the inversion just look like a fuzzy Z pattern, also a blink of an eye.

I hope the OpenDiyAT has a similar behaviour when it is mature.
Old May 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
What is the furthest you had flown with your dakar+lynx?
Old May 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
msev,

I am not a long range flier, get bored with the inaction that a long range flight carries with it, but I read somewhere that someone did 21km (it wasn't me!) with Dakar/Lynx on board.

Look for the videos on youtube you will find the long range videos flown with Dakar!
Old May 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Nice, hurry up!
I can't do anymore work today but here is where she is now. I have the tilting Joint in place, less the servo. The idea here is to be quickly deployed by opening the rear door of my jeep and sitting the tracker on the roof ready to track.

I believe I will be ready to build the controller within a day or so, will keep you updated.