United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Congrats... One small bit for telemetry, one giant byte for fpv
Fixed it for you

Congratulations Jalves!
Do you mind explaining how it works? If I were to guess, I'd say that on the TX side the a sync pulses are made by the Arduino, sent to the 1881, then injected into the video line.

On the RX side I might guess that the1881 is used to break apart the signal, re-sync the video based on an Atmega generated sync, then the amplifier is used to help the Atmega to figure out the data it received from part of the 1881.

That's just my guess, but how does yours work exactly? Which side is the TX? RX?

Good work!
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Jalves, I need help.

I connect GPS to arduino nano and wanna see parameters (lon, alt etc.) I uncomment " print_data();" and in serial monitor i have only 0. Time, date, lon, alt, sats and other - only 0.
I connected GPS directly to computer via prolific and get something like that
Code:
$GPGGA,131156.000,5307.4254,N,02309.0856,E,1,5,3.65,166.8,M,34.4,M,,*57
$GPGSA,A,3,14,22,24,18,09,,,,,,,,3.78,3.65,0.98*0C
$GPRMC,131156.000,A,5307.4254,N,02309.0856,E,0.09,263.35,241112,,,A*67
$GPVTG,263.35,T,,M,0.09,N,0.17,K,A*33
So my GPS it's OK. It works on 38400, so i write in software Serial.begin(38400);

Sometimes 'lng' is shown (but very BIG number), rest are '0'.

I user nano 3.3/5V adjustable (I use in 5V). I connected TX of GPS to the RX arduino, GND GPS-arduino and +5V froum arduino to GPS (GPS from remzibi OSD - it can work on 5V).

I have no idea...

Second question, what to uncomment in RX software to see data wchich TX arduino will sent to RX?

P.S. Is it normal that it is 4.8V between RX and GND in arduino?

P.S.2. There is also something about GPS LED,
digitalWrite(13, HIGH); //GPS Status LED
else digitalWrite(13, LOW);

In connections ther isn't. So we can use that led? (but after my GPS will works with arduino...)
Grzechu is offline Find More Posts by Grzechu
Last edited by Grzechu; Nov 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
Grzechu,

I try gps unit from remzibi osd with opendiyAT_AT_Tx02alfa and didn't have any trouble to see the printing of gps data.

Which version of opendiyAT are you using?

just uncomment // print_modem(); in void loop

Beware, remove any printing when you have the "Tx" arduino sending data installed in the model
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
TX0_2a_alfa.

Wchich baudrate are you using with remzibi GPS?

So, when you connect gps to arduino tx and connect arduino to PC you will se all parameters? I see sats = 0, lat = 0 ant others = 0...

(I put GPS outside the window, when I normal connect GPS to PC I see NMEA parameters, so it has fix)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post

Beware, remove any printing when you have the "Tx" arduino sending data installed in the model
so uncomment print_modem and COMMENT print_data? And what will I see when I'll connect arduino TX to PC?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:

so uncomment print_modem and COMMENT print_data? And what will I see when I'll connect arduino TX to PC?

I know that if I'll flying I have to uncommnt all print. But it does'nt work, after I connectd arduino tx with GPS to the PC, I have something like this

Code:

$PAK,0,-2147483648,0*56
Time= 137
Date= 0
Valid Data= V
Sats= 0
current_loc.lat= 0
current_loc.lng= 0
current_loc.alt= 0
ground_speed= 0.00
ground_course= 0

$PAK,0,0,0*4e
Time= 138
Date= 0
Valid Data= V
Sats= 0
current_loc.lat= 0
current_loc.lng= -2147483648
current_loc.alt= 0
ground_speed= 0.00
ground_course= 0
So, every "0"...

I have baudrate 38400 in Your software
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
Grzechu,

Lets do the following:

1. Use your ftdi cable and NMEAGEN, select 38400bps in NMEAGEN and see if the opendiyat print the gps data. If it do, then we pass to 2.

2. Connect Arduino's GND and +5V to your remzibi gps receiver, connect the arduino board to the usb port of your pc (in this way you have powered the arduino board and the gps receiver)

Now, connect your ftdi cable to other usb port of your PC. Connect the gps output to the Rx port of the ftdi cable. Use a Serial monitor (connected to the COM port of your ftdi cable) and wait till the gps acquire a good fix (gprmc and gpgga with good info), now move the wire from the ftdi cable to Rx of the arduino board.

you should see now the gps info collected by the arduino, also you should see the $PAK sent to the modem if you uncomment print_modem.

With my remzibi gps unit and my arduino board I had no problems to use it to show lat, lon, etc using OpenDIY_AT_TX_02a_alfa
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Grzechu,

Lets do the following:

1. Use your ftdi cable and NMEAGEN, select 38400bps in NMEAGEN and see if the opendiyat print the gps data. If it do, then we pass to 2.
You mean, I have to connect ftdi cable to arduino? With GPS or without? You said "opendiyat" so i think that FTDI -> Arduino? And what should it print?

Change somthing in output condition?

In step 2, Can i move the wire when arduino is turn on?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
Change period for 5HZ, degree dec. to 4 , port number choose ftdi COM port and speed 38400bps.

fill the Track setting with valid data.

Go to Gearth and collect some coordinates around your rc field.

This will be useful to understand if the tracker is working well when bench testing it.

When ready, press idling to allow the opendiyAT to fix the home position and then press start
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:42 AM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Can You explain that?
"Use your ftdi cable and NMEAGEN, select 38400bps in NMEAGEN and see if the opendiyat print the gps data. If it do, then we pass to 2."

FTDI cable to what? Arduino, GPS? I don't got it... How (and what) to connect??
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:53 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
Grzechu,

First we have to know if "your" opendiyAT and your Arduino board is working well, thus you should use NMEAGEN to generate gps sentences, of course you have to use your ftdi cable to be able to extract those sentences from the PC.

Once you have NMEAGEN sentences through your ftdi cable (led is flshing to the cadence of 1Hz or 5Hz if you change the setting as I propose), connect ftdi Tx line to the arduino Rx line (GND is common if you have the arduino powered by teh PC's usb port).

This is the first test, check if opendiAT Serial.print the gps data to you screen using a serial monitor (from arduino's IDE , hyperterminal or other).

Then replace the NMEAGEN by your gps unit, maintain the ftdi cable connected to the PC.

Now use the hyperterminal connected to your ftdi COM port, do the connections as I explained earlier (GND and +5V from Arduino to gps unit, and gps Tx to ftdi Rx) and check to see if you manage to get a fix (see in hyperterminal window if the gps sentences has the coordinates of the place you are sitting on), when it does, change the gps Tx wire from the ftdi Rx and connect it to the Arduino's Rx port.

Now, you should see in arduino's COM port serial out from arduino's IDE the gps data printed by opendiyAT.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:53 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
Just a small follow up,

Wired Video telemetry, transfer of 1 byte with 99,9999% recovering in the Rx side.

now it's time to wrap a Package and decoding it.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Just a small follow up,

Wired Video telemetry, transfer of 1 byte with 99,9999% recovering in the Rx side.

WOW...Great news
ntgr is offline Find More Posts by ntgr
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Just a small follow up,

Great !

How much byte's would you need to transfer lat. & lon. information for example?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
one packet with aprox. 31bytes