HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Yes, if you are using independent power source to each arduino boards.
Maybe a dumb question. What should happend when i do this?
vikedal is offline Find More Posts by vikedal
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
How to do Wired bench tests:
I connect both arduino boards to my PC using two usb ports (this way we have common ground), use a gps emulator and a ftdi cable to feed gps sentences to the arduino as Tx.

I only have now to connect a wire between pin 10 (of arduino Tx) and pin 2 (from arduino Rx).

Using a PC Serial monitor over the usb port of arduino Rx, you should see the package transmitted through the wire and printed in the serial monitor window.

In the pic below, the blue wire carry the audio signal (vikedal, as you see I use only one wire, the common ground is maintained by the usb connections), the rest of the wires is for another project that I have (but is on hold).
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
I have to buy another arduino because I burnt my old one ( ), So... Is it anything difference between arduino nano 3.3V or 5V? I see that we connect GPS to 3.3V output, so what the practical difference?

I'm thinking about that
LINK

And turn it on 3.3V or 5V? It is anything difference with that scheme?

jalves, Could You tell me anything about resistors and capacitors? I'll use that tracker to my study, my work will name "antenna tracking in UAV video system". And I don't know how to calculate that value. Why 8.2Kohm, why 1.2kihm and others...

I'll revenge with pictures from the building, and movies from testing it
Grzechu is offline Find More Posts by Grzechu
Last edited by Grzechu; Sep 20, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
How to do Wired bench tests:
I connect both arduino boards to my PC using two usb ports (this way we have common ground), use a gps emulator and a ftdi cable to feed gps sentences to the arduino as Tx.

I only have now to connect a wire between pin 10 (of arduino Tx) and pin 2 (from arduino Rx).

Using a PC Serial monitor over the usb port of arduino Rx, you should see the package transmitted through the wire and printed in the serial monitor window.

In the pic below, the blue wire carry the audio signal (vikedal, as you see I use only one wire, the common ground is maintained by the usb connections), the rest of the wires is for another project that I have (but is on hold).
So i connect the ftdi where the green wire from the gps are? Can i just conect the audio wire from the Tx with the audio wire from the Rx?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
@vikedal,

ftdi (tx pin) ---wire--->arduinoTx (Rx or pin 0)

arduinoTx (pin 10)----wire---> arduinoRx(pin 2)

All powered by usb connections.

@Grzechu
That scheme was done for the situation that vikedal presented here and that contained some errors.

I re-did vikedal's scheme with the correct connections, thus the use of a 3,3V gps rx.

I use only 5V gps receivers, thus I power them from the same bec I power the osd.

The capacitors and resistors are used to adapt or change the electric signals .

For instance, the two resistors you mention were used as a voltage divider, to reduce the audio signal voltage and spare the audio input from high level audio signals.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
@vikedal,

ftdi (tx pin) ---wire--->arduinoTx (Rx or pin 0)

arduinoTx (pin 10)----wire---> arduinoRx(pin 2)

All powered by usb connections.

@Grzechu
That scheme was done for the situation that vikedal presented here and that contained some errors.

I re-did vikedal's scheme with the correct connections, thus the use of a 3,3V gps rx.

I use only 5V gps receivers, thus I power them from the same bec I power the osd.

For instance, the two resistors you mention were used as a voltage divider, to reduce the audio signal voltage and spare the audio input from high level audio signals.
Sorry for all the dumb questions. One last. You disconnect all the resistors and the other parts for the test?
What programs do you use?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:

I have 3.3V GPS so I think that that scheme is for me too.

I asked about arduino. What is the difference between 3.3V/5V? If I'll buy adjustable version, wchich voltage have I use? Or maybe buy normal 5V version? Or maybe it's all about GPS connection?

Scheme for vikedals is for 3.3V or 5V operating voltage (arduino)?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:13 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikedal View Post
Sorry for all the dumb questions. One last. You disconnect all the resistors and the other parts for the test?
What programs do you use?
Yes, it is a bench test, you are connecting the two arduino boards together, thus no need to adapt signal levels, the two arduino boards talk to each other using the "same" type of signals.

When we put the RF link between them, then we have to adapt signals to increase the odds to succeed (arduino tx to audio in of Video Tx and Video Rx audio out to arduino Rx).

gps emulator (HappyKillmore's, NMEAGEN or google it) and serial monitor (realterm, putty or google it)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzechu View Post
I have 3.3V GPS so I think that that scheme is for me too.

I asked about arduino. What is the difference between 3.3V/5V? If I'll buy adjustable version, wchich voltage have I use?
You could try 3.3V, but I can't guide you, I didn't try 3,3V version.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Scheme for vikedals is for 3.3V or 5V operating voltage (arduino)?
Arduino board (Uno or Duemilanove) has 3,3V and 5,0V output, we can choose the desired voltage.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Can't you update the wiki with all the information you have posted now? Would be very helpfull for us beginners
Tnx for all the help Jalves
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
How can I measure the audio voltage? I'm gonna use arduino 3.3V, so I think that it will be different values of resistors ( now are 1,8 and 8,2kohm). Or maybe not?

How you calculate resistors value?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:47 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
How can I measure the audio voltage? I'm gonna use arduino 3.3V, so I think that it will be different values of resistors ( now are 1,8 and 8,2kohm). Or maybe not?

How you calculate resistors value?
The choice of 3.3v and 5v depends on the specific type of GPS you are using, which gps are you buying, do you have a link?
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,641 Posts
Wiki Updated!!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:58 AM
Poland
Joined Jun 2008
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
The choice of 3.3v and 5v depends on the specific type of GPS you are using, which gps are you buying, do you have a link?

Ups... I found that my GPS (from remzibi OSD) works on 5V So I'll buy arduino nano 5V, and power directly from 5V