Old May 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Discussion
The Flow - Production and Tips

Hello All:

I wanted to start a new thread that will replace the original thread concerning production of the Flow, schedules and helpful tips. I would appreciate it if we could let the original thread die.

No one could have anticipated the insane demand for this kind of plane. At least I didn't. This has placed a huge amount of stress of both supplies and the schedule for distribution. All things considered, we are moving along and I'm confident that if all the vendors meet their schedules, we should have some happy customers.

The demand has also placed a lot of stress on me personally. I was getting very little slee and my physical issues and the subsequent pain meds that I take have put me into a state of mind that I don't wish to revisit.

---------

The build DVD is coming along. I am reposting the first three parts of wing construction. This time the quality is much better and my approach is more in line with the experience of those purchasing this kit.

This is the important part: I'm going to cover the "DVD Kit" in 1.7. I was so pleased that the first prototype took me from 34 oz down to 21 oz. using 5 mil, that I became convinced that it was the only way to go. The truth is that anyone can double or triple the 1.7 to become the thickness they want. I have no idea what 1.7 will result in, but I suppose I will learn. As suggested by Steve, you can double the D block and parts of the fuse to add strength. I will be trying this through the production of the Flow Build DVD.

There is a difference between a sub-20 plane and those that are in a range of 21-26 oz. But it is also true that much depends on the conditions. I think and I'm sure others will agree that it should be up to the builder what they want to build. I will supply only 1.7 in future kits and hopefully enough to double over critical areas. If you have already received a kit and would like to have 1.7, I urge you again to contact me. It is no big deal to put 1.7 in a tube and ship it to you.

It would be easy just to not include any Laminating Film and pretty much leave it up to the customer. But I want to provide it if I have it.

-------------

As mentioned...over the next few days we will catch up on production and kits will start going out again on Monday. Kits are received in the order they were purchased. The turn-around time in the near future is estimated to be 10-14 days. At least that is what we are shooting for.

Thanks again for your patience.

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 12, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Wing Construction Pt. 1

Wing Construction Part 1 (2 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 12, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Update on Kit Contents:

As indicated on the FSD web site, the Standard kit is no longer available (sort of). In the one and only version of the Flow, the Mad parts will be included as well as a option for a standard elevator. Construction of the standard elevator should be intuitive to anyone who has any experience building. I will include a brief video on it but only after the initial DVD build is finished.

As mentioned, all future kits will come with only 1.7 LF (NS) and enough to double in critical areas. If you wish to have additional thicknesses, you merely need to email me and I will include that as well.

As hinted earlier, between getting kits out, I am working on an EPP version of the Mad elevator. The original is fine. In fact it has been installed on no less than 7 planes and refined to the point that it is reliable as an effective means of achieving beyond vertical. The issue is whether we can save additional weight by replacing the two layers of Depron with EPP. I should know the answer to that before the end of the day. The good news is that the EPP version can be put together with that materials already included in the kit.

-Paige
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Wing Construction Pt. 2

Wing Construction Part 2 (3 min 47 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 12, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Wing Construction Pt. 3

Wing Construction Pt. 3 (3 min 56 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 13, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Wing Construction Pt. 4

Wing Construction Pt. 4 (2 min 51 sec)

Video on the Fuse starts tonight.

-P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 13, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,962 Posts
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Last edited by JimZinVT; May 12, 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: deleted embeding advice, for thread cleanliness :-)
Old May 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Thanks Jim...I was able to get the first two to embed. I'm basically using Chrome, I go to copy URL, I paste in under Edit, delete the "s" and hit Save. It worked on the first two...but not on 3 or 4. Arrrrrrg!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,962 Posts
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Last edited by JimZinVT; May 12, 2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: testing testing
Old May 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Going in for the Night Shift...while I'm gone, form the wagons up in a circle.

-P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 01:08 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Update

Started shaping the fuses and began cutting airfoils.

For those waiting for the next set of build instructions...I shot the first few parts for the fuse and they will be processed and posted tomorrow morning.

-Paige
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 13, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Fuse Construction Pt. 1

Fuse Construction Pt. 1 (3 min 36 sec)

Parts 2 and 3 will be posted in about an hour or so.

-Paige
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 13, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,677 Posts
Fuse Construction Pt. 2

Fuse Construction Pt. 2 (4 min 3 sec)

I hope that I'm processing these videos so that they can be used right away...anyone building right now?

Part 3 of the fuse construction will be posted later today. It is processing right now.

-P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 13, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,282 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Paige! Following along with interest.

Did you say "foam safe" CA was necessary?
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old May 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,000 Posts
Paige.....

Now you've done it again!!!!

This is really impressive and I am out of excuse for not ordering one.

Another fan.....sign me up.

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P