SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
Question
What Aircraft Do You Want, That No One is Making?

Hello all! So I am curious what aircraft or aircraft category my fellow modellers would like that no companies are producing right now. For instance, I would love to see more Golden Age air racers. I know there are a few out there, but their sure aren't many. Would you want an ARF or kit? Thanks for participating!
Seria17hri11er is offline Find More Posts by Seria17hri11er
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Sorry it's not a golden age racer but I'd love to see a low wing aerobatic trainer. Something you could use as your second plane which would fly slow but would be able to do mild aerobatics.
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Quote:
Sorry it's not a golden age racer but I'd love to see a low wing aerobatic trainer. Something you could use as your second plane which would fly slow but would be able to do mild aerobatics.
I thought the point of the thread was to post ideas for planes that no one is making...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,047 Posts
I wish someone would make a 48" Laser 200.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 12, 2012, 10:39 AM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Cessna A-37 Dragonfly, beautiful plane IMO, i heard someone make a huge version out of carbon fiber, but none so far out of foam.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old May 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,428 Posts
There was a 1970's ultralight aircraft originally designed by Emmett Talley as the Birdman TL-1, then reengineered and produced by Leonard Roberts and called the Birdman RB-1. Stressed for plus or minus 3 g's, polyhedral wing and v-tail, this thing was powered by a small 2-stroke motor and a pusher prop ala-Easy Star.

It would only be a 3-channel plane. The V-tail was used only as elevator. The wings had top-mounted spoilers about mid-chord, which killed the lift on that wing when it was raised. This induced a bank and the polyhedral wing turned that into a really nice turn. This is the only plane I have ever seen without ailerons or rudder!

This guy was built ahead of its time and sold as a kit, which hurt its sales possibilities. About 300 were produced. I wonder how many were completed and how many survived to the present?

Other cool stuff about this airframe. The pilot was seated between two beams projecting ahead of the wing. His legs dangled down Flintstones style, but the plane had landing gear so his legs were not functional. The whole plane was built up from spruce and aircraft grade plywood, covered, believe it or not, with Monocote! The fuselage connecting the wing to the tail was a conical section of framework covered by rolled 1/32 plywood laminated layers.

I had the opportunity to work on this plane because as a model builder, I was an expert in Monocote. I covered several models which were used for demonstration purposes to South American military reps. At one time I had a complete set of blueprints, but they have been lost.

Would I ever love to have them now to produce a quarter scale radio controlled version!
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; May 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Just a thought, but if no one is manufacturing a kit or ARF of an aircraft that you would like to have - wouldn't that be a good excuse to scratchbuild it?
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old May 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Just a thought, but if no one is manufacturing a kit or ARF of an aircraft that you would like to have - wouldn't that be a good excuse to scratchbuild it?
A great thought. Whatever model I want next, will just sit down, draw the plans up and then build it. The present project is a 4S 600W powered low winged aerobatic model that will easily cope with as much Chicago wind as I care to argue with, the one before that amounts to a tailless version of a design of mine a couple of models back.

Have no idea what I'll have next. Apart from that it will not come in a big shiny shrink-wrapped box

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 12, 2012, 11:25 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Balsa 48" Douglas Skyraider.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old May 12, 2012, 11:56 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
You said it! I'd give my first-born son (okay maybe not that...) to have that copy of the blueprints that got lost in a move 20 years ago.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old May 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,567 Posts
About a 50" Great Lakes.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old May 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
A 1/4 scale Aeronca K or a Kinner Sportster.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
1. Brewster Buffalo, all sizes
2. Morane-Saulnier 406 1/4
3. Fw-200 Condor, all sizes
4. Me-410

But mostly i would like to have decent r o u n d nose warbird spinners. Plastic, all sizes.
No one makes them.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old May 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
Non registered User
The Netherlands, ZE, Bruinisse
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
MIG-3u ----------------- 1/4
Found some drawings on TDM models but not 1/4

Started to re-scale these and making changes in wing construction to fit electric retracts and flaps.
MJBouwman is offline Find More Posts by MJBouwman
Last edited by MJBouwman; May 12, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
About a 50" Great Lakes.
+1 but make it GP or EP.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck