HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
Question
What Aircraft Do You Want, That No One is Making?

Hello all! So I am curious what aircraft or aircraft category my fellow modellers would like that no companies are producing right now. For instance, I would love to see more Golden Age air racers. I know there are a few out there, but their sure aren't many. Would you want an ARF or kit? Thanks for participating!
Seria17hri11er is offline Find More Posts by Seria17hri11er
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 07:51 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,742 Posts
I wanted to get a RC model of a Boeing P-26 Peashooter, but by the time I discovered and found one, they had discontinued it and sold out of them too. I am not Squeamish I like ARF's too, so I would like a ARF version. But if all one can get is a kit, I can go for that too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old May 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
If I want something no credible kit is available for, I take a 3-view or rubber power plans to Kinkos, blow them up to whatever size I want, and use the enlarged outlines to work from.

Its really not that hard doing scratch built original designs when you got some general outlines to work from.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old May 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,177 Posts
Here's one for ya a TC-4C there were only 9 ever made. I was the NCOIC of the TC's at Cherry Point 82 to 84
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old May 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, MI, Tuscola
Joined Oct 2006
51 Posts
For me it's the kits and some ARF's that are discontinued after one of the big distributors buys up the small company. I know it's all a marketing thing, but in my opinion, the large distributors have done more harm than good. I might be one of the only ones with this opinion, but I hate seeing the same planes in the same color schemes everywhere you go. I guess that's why I like to build mine. Bring back the discontinued kits!!!
Slavko is offline Find More Posts by Slavko
Old May 12, 2012, 11:35 AM
YAY the tourists are GONE
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
Carl Goldberg Extra 300 when Great Planes bought CG they disco'ed the Extra in favor of theirs but IMHO the CG extra is a much better plane
Kit_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Kit_Builder
Old May 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavko View Post
I hate seeing the same planes in the same color schemes everywhere you go.
I have enough pride left that I'm unwilling to meekly accept the designs and quality level that someone else thinks I should be flying.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old May 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NACA0012 View Post
I have enough pride left that I'm unwilling to meekly accept the designs and quality level that someone else thinks I should be flying.
I guess that you think everyone who flies has the skill to scratch build a plane. I wish I could, but nothing I have tried in kit form turned out well, so I am an ARF junkie. I wish there were more WWI era birds available.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old May 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,041 Posts
There of course is nothing wrong with an arf, original design, scratch build, kit, scale, sport, competition or whatever... it is all fun and each of us find our fun in a way that suits the individual.

I've felt pride in having and flying arfs, kits, and scratch builds. My personal greatest pride came from an original design with equal measures for the design, the build and the flight performance but who's keeping score on what constitutes pride?
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old May 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavko View Post
For me it's the kits and some ARF's that are discontinued after one of the big distributors buys up the small company. I know it's all a marketing thing, but in my opinion, the large distributors have done more harm than good. I might be one of the only ones with this opinion, but I hate seeing the same planes in the same color schemes everywhere you go. I guess that's why I like to build mine. Bring back the discontinued kits!!!
I agree. Many of the Goldberg and Sig ARFs are no longer available.
ramboy is offline Find More Posts by ramboy
Old May 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
the stiks and super sportsters are very popular right now to ebayers. This hobby needs a rebirth and start over, unfortunatly the kits from long ago unless scratchbuilt are nothing but history.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old May 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, NJ, Upper Pittsgrove
Joined Mar 2011
122 Posts
Id like to see theHanger 9 Super Cub be brough back,or the Goldberg Stinson 108. That was one of the best looking and flying models I ever had.
scaleman57 is offline Find More Posts by scaleman57
Old May 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Dehavilland DH

I' got me a SS60 on Ebay and will be kitbashing into a goldenage racer...
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old May 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
There were so many good manufacturers back in the 70s and 80s that provided kits that even the most simple minded person could build. Al it took was a little patience, work and the desire to build. There were a few ARFs such as Lanier that make crappy planes.

It's a lot cheaper to throw some expandable foam into a mold and produce a cheap airplane, for a cheap Japanese or Chinese radio and an electric motor in for some one to go to the neighborhood park and fly it.

There is a difference in the pride of saying, look what I built with my own two hands, versus look what I bought real cheap from China for me to play with.

Pride is being able to be proud of your accomplishment, not from what someone handed you.

Am I impressed with the cheap foam plane, or the plane that looks like crap, but was built by the owner? No! I am impressed with the guy that tried to build his model regardless how bad or good it looks. And when he asks, "Can you help me build a better one?" I am going to jump at the chance to help him. Because he has pride in what he attempted to do.

I would like to see the old Jensen "Das Ugly Stik" come back. It was one of the best trainers available. It was cheap and very easy to build. And you could modify it to be whatever you wanted it to be.

Frank
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
Dehavilland DH

I' got me a SS60 on Ebay and will be kitbashing into a goldenage racer...
Would like to see a build thread on it.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red