HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Yep. The V120D02S is now my main heli. Wish I would have taken the plunge sooner. I think it flies better than my CB180 which can get into trouble but can't get out The V120 is really teaching me to fly and has given me the confidence to start building a 500 class. Phil
fastphil_v is offline Find More Posts by fastphil_v
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:02 AM
Brisbane - Australia
Joined Nov 2010
46 Posts
Hi CaptnJac, I've stumbled across this thread & want to give it the thumbs up. I've come in to the hobbby a bit late - just trying to fend off Alzheimers by challenging my brain, just graduated from a Solo Pro to an MCPX & enjoying the experience. Scale flying is probably my aim, I live near some TV stations & see their heli's going back and forth all the time, but never seen one doing 3D yet!
pigs might fly is offline Find More Posts by pigs might fly
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs might fly View Post
Hi CaptnJac, I've stumbled across this thread & want to give it the thumbs up. I've come in to the hobbby a bit late - just trying to fend off Alzheimers by challenging my brain, just graduated from a Solo Pro to an MCPX & enjoying the experience. Scale flying is probably my aim, I live near some TV stations & see their heli's going back and forth all the time, but never seen one doing 3D yet!
You mean they don't have this pilot?
Red Bull Helicopter does back flips! (3 min 51 sec)
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
I'd like to see him doing tic toc's with that thing.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:00 AM
Spain, PV, Las Arenas
Joined Jun 2009
140 Posts
Yesterday night I found this thread and it was like the heaven opening and get a revelation! !!!

This is my story.
3 years ago I entered into heli hobby with a Esky Lama V4, a coaxial who gave some problems, but help me to learn and understand some things about helis, then I did a big step up and bought a RTF 450 CopterX, what a disaster , I didn't know what I was doing. After spending in parts and repairments money and money, and then more money, I gave up and sold it. Apart of the hard to understanding the mechanics of it, I was really scared about those blades spinning that diabolic way...

Four months ago I returned to the hobby and saw that many things have changed in the hobby. I bought a V911, and that was yhe best hobby purchase I have done, I love it. Then I bought a 9116 and keep growing in my skills. Now I fly both FP decently and I am thinking to get a CP heli but I do not have the confidence to restart with a 450, my ghosts are following me.

After looking many online shops and CP helis, I felt like I was "oblied" to step up to a 3D heli, every CP heli is anounced and promoted as 3D heli and that in some way is putting some stress in my mind, it is a pressure I do not like.

Then I read this thread completely and I realized that scale flying is more relaxed, and it is an option, I even realized that, although it is impressive, 3D is not beautiful and relaxed.

Saying all of this, I just can say thanks for opening my eyes and remove that pressure of my mind. This thread should be sticked on the top of the forumtso every begginer has all the info and then choose the style they want. 3D is not bad or good and Scale is not good or bad, it is just question having all the options in front of your eyes and decide which way to take.

Good flying mates!
baxter is offline Find More Posts by baxter
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:34 AM
Brisbane - Australia
Joined Nov 2010
46 Posts
Wow, that almost parallels my experience. Started with a shopping centre Coax, thought I was ready for something more realstic & bought a Skartec WaspV3 CP & broke it several times, but learnt heaps re-building it, dropped back to a NE Solo Pro FP and after a lot of practice got quite confident, tried the Wasp & broke it again. Then bought a Blade MCPX flybarless CP. It's challenging but I'm getting there & minor incidents don't seem to harm it. I'm a relative novice, but would recommend the MCPX as a great introduction to CP it's very lively, but seems to shrug off the occasional mishap.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:42 AM
Brisbane - Australia
Joined Nov 2010
46 Posts
Nah, the cameraman would fall out the door;-)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:39 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs might fly View Post
I'm a relative novice, but would recommend the MCPX as a great introduction to CP it's very lively, but seems to shrug off the occasional mishap.
If you like the mCPX then you will like the Blade 130X. It's about the size as a 120SR and is super stable using the same AS3X system.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
You mean they don't have this pilot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGu45s1_QPU
I just saw the Red Bull copter fly at EAA Oshkosh this weekend. Very nice!

The announcer talked about the some of the mods needed; rigid carbon fiber blades and titanium head. He talked about mast bumbing occuring otherwise. I was great that at EAA they assume the crowd knows something. The pilot is the only acro certified heli pilot in the US (might have said world) according to the announcer. Is this the new "flying scale?" :-)

Oshkosh was great this weekend with perfect weather.
jmps is offline Find More Posts by jmps
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
New pilots - same crashes. Isn't there an easier way? Not really - crashing is part of learning. The good news is every time you crash you learn something - like slamming the collective down (reflex response) is a really bad idea when you get into trouble. It gives you something to think about when you picking up the pieces. The hardest lesson to learn (for me) is patience. Taking one step-at-a-time even when you think you are ready for the two-step. Always warm-up before taking off with something new. If you are having a problem holding a tail-in hover then keep working it - don't worry about nose-in hovering. Take gradual steps - practice 45 before 90 and 135 before 180. If the wind is blowing keep it in the hangar. A gentle breeze (leaves moving) is a breeze to fly in but when it blowing (branches moving) the change in transitional lift (especially downward) can be a real hand full and end up in pieces. Practice maintaining altitude in forward and backward (pitch) and side-to-side (roll) - use markers 25 feet each direction and try not to undershoot or overshoot them - try to follow a straight line. Climb to 25 feet and maintain altitude - gradually descend to 5 feet - repeat until desired consistency. Start turning the nose in the direction of flight - rolling side-to-side. AKA lazy 8's. These are really fun!! They are also easy to crash so take them slow and easy. The Flight School 101 videos will give you some good practice exercises. Some of them aren't as easy as they look, but the more you practice the easier they will get - although it may not seem like they are getting any easier in the beginning. Less than 80% consistency you are flying more by luck than skill and it is only a matter of time before your luck will run out so keep practicing! Most of all - have fun! Flying RC helicopters is as frustrating as it is addictive. When it is no longer fun it's time to do something else like balancing a broom stick on your nose while riding a unicycle.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
The hardest lesson to learn (for me) is patience. Taking one step-at-a-time even when you think you are ready for the two-step.
Agree 100%.

I've been trying to keep a reign in on my patience from day 1.

An old quote from M*A*S*H: "I do one thing at a time, I do it very well and then I move on."
indiggio is offline Find More Posts by indiggio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,045 Posts
Welp, right now I'm flying around (without incident so far) a Double Horse 9104, and that was up a step from an Interceptor 052, both of which I enjoy the Hell out of flying. Was considering upping the ante to a 4 channel, can hover either of the 2 I have now, well the Interceptor's a CX, and it'll hover as long as I let it sit there to do that, the D.H. takes a bit more effort to keep still. But as far as the 3D thing (hummingbird on crack...good one!), don't really have a desire to do that, would the plateau for me be a 4 channel? I mean, anything more than that would be just that...more than that. Do I really need 6 channels and all this programming? 'Bout the only thing I need to do with either one I have now is once in a while adjust them from wandering to the left or right, other than that, I just fly 'em. Wish I had more batteries, I'd probably still be at the field now...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Great topic! Your settings helped me a lot to understand more about how to set the curves for a beginner. I'm "flying" a Genius CP right now and working on the best T/P curves for me based on your initial settings.

I'm now even confident enough to give it a other carefully try with my 450 Pro with your settings.

I just bought your FAQ 102 and will be busy reading and testing.

Thank you very much for sharing a different view!

Juerg
WantToPlay is offline Find More Posts by WantToPlay
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:44 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToPlay View Post
Great topic! Your settings helped me a lot to understand more about how to set the curves for a beginner. I'm now even confident enough to give it a other carefully try with my 450 Pro with your settings. I just bought your FAQ 102 and will be busy reading and testing.
Thank you very much for sharing a different view! Juerg
Thank you Juerg for the positive feedback.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:11 PM
Fort Lee, NJ
Joined Mar 2008
97 Posts
I just started into heli hobby too and V911 is my first heli. It is awesome little bird, durable and easy to fly. If you guys haven't fly this heli with FS-TH9x AKA Turnigy 9X Tx, you guys missing a lot. It flies so much better with 9X, I couldn't believe. No more twitchy tail on dual rate.
I have been on sim a lot lately while waiting for my HK250GT kit to arrive.
This will be my first CP built and let see what happen
For gurus out there, how close sim (realflight) heli fly compared to real CP heli?
denox is offline Find More Posts by denox
Closed Thread