HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Found out that flying the MCPX outside is MUCH better than inside (at least until the wind came up)

Played a bit with the expo settings (JR 9303). First I copied the throttle and pitch curves from NORM into ST-1 and ST-2. I had expo set at 30% for aileron and rudder in NORM, made it 20% in ST-1 and 0% in ST-2.

I have much better control in ST-1, but I need some expo (ST-2 almost took the wienerdog out)
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:14 PM
cpo
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Dec 2012
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
ST-2 almost took the wienerdog out
I thought I had a pretty good handle on all the heli lingo. I've heard of wobbles and bobbles, tbo, tbe, jitters, shakes...

My first thought when I read this was, what the heck is this "wienerdog" thing that your referring to?

Oh...wait...doh! You really meant a wiener dog! LOL!
cpo is offline Find More Posts by cpo
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:36 AM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
What, you didn't get to CapJacks "landing on a moving pad" lesson yet?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:21 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
>> ST-2 almost took the wienerdog out
thanks... no further questions
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
982 Posts
CaptJac. Would this calculation work for the Walkera Mini CP and the Super CP ?? What would they be?? Just got my Mini and a Super and got them to hoover with the factory setting of the Super CP as follows:
Dual rates Ele 100% - Ail 100% - Rud 100%
Throttle curve L 0% - M 70% - H 100%
Gyro sensor on Manual Pos 0 75% - Pos 1 50%
Pitch curve L -20% - M +20% - H +50%

Heli lifts off at half throttle and is extremely stable in hover. That is both for the MiniCP and for the Super CP.
Now of course comes the real work. That is having a procedure as you have outlined . I wonder when I will have time to sleep.
HPCR is offline Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:40 PM
United States, PA, Mount Joy
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Just to make sure I understand this right before I change anything. I currently have my 450 set up with the usual stuff. 0 pitch at midstick, + 10 at top, - 10 at bottom. To set up for these pitch curves, should i mechanically set up my heli for midstick to be at +3, thus giving my servo full resolution through +8 at top and -2 at bottom? or do i set it up with just my TX?
melow08 is offline Find More Posts by melow08
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:28 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,098 Posts
Hi melow8

Just my personal opinion, but I use the curves on the transmitter.
You can set it up mechanically, but then if you want to change anything, it takes ages.
For instance:
I have tried CapJac's settings, but I have never got mine to hover at 3 deg.
Probably a difference in gearing, or headspeed, but I find 5 deg a much better starting point.
Say you start at 3 deg, then find it's not suitable, lots of hassle to change.
Far better to just press a few buttons.
I appreciate it introduces a non-linear pitch stick. but I have never found that a problem, certainly not at this level.

Before the bricks start flying, I stress this is my personal opinion, but it works for me.

Hope it helps

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
X2 on using the TX
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
68 Posts
Blade nano is coming in in the next few days so I've read most of this thread. I'm putting all my trust in you capnjack!

So if I have low stick set at say -2 degrees and the values inbetween as 0,3,5,8 etc etc degrees of pitch, will the resolution provided by the transmitter linearly connect all of those values so that it smoothly transitions between those degrees of pitch? so that the helicopters not just shifting like a transmission from this set pitch to this pitch to this pitch? does that make sense?

if I had the helicopter i'd answer my own question!
mtheard is offline Find More Posts by mtheard
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,098 Posts
mtheard

Quick answer is yes. The transmitter will move gradually between your set levels, so you will see a smooth increase in pitch as you up the stick.

Hope this helps

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
You can actually check that with just the TX. On the 9303 - the answer is yes.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:19 AM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
I am a french modelist and actuelly i am building an Apache AH-64 600 size ( Heli-Scale)

I need color pics of overall of flight and helmet of the crew If a modelist wich is in possessionof these pics agrees to be passed on them it would be great

Many thanks
DURIEZ Jacques is offline Find More Posts by DURIEZ Jacques
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
I am a french modelist and actuelly i am building an Apache AH-64 600 size ( Heli-Scale)

I need color pics of overall of flight and helmet of the crew If a modelist wich is in possessionof these pics agrees to be passed on them it would be great

Many thanks
DURIEZ Jacques is offline Find More Posts by DURIEZ Jacques
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:34 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Seems like this thread got unraveled a bit ... so will push it back to the top and try to thread it through again. The misconception a CP helicopter must be setup for 3D causes more crashes than piloting error. If you are crashing a lot - get out your pitch gauge and start reading the beginning of this thread. Have a great flight!
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:17 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
>> the misconception a CP helicopter must be setup for 3D causes
>> get rid of all that negative pitch

you're giving bad advice, IMHO.

Before you mess up your heli - it's not that the people who designed it didn't know anything about helis, did they? how about some less drastic measures. Like, getting help from a friend for example.

There are many reasons why to deviate from the manual.
Trying to make something foolproof that is inherently non-foolproof is not one of them.
Would you also advise people who crash a lot to put training wheels to their motorcycle?
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Closed Thread