SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,559 Posts
Came home last night to a helicopter shaped box (being guarded diligantly by Oscar the Fierce Wienerdog). New mCPx!
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:13 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Here are the Flight School 101 videos used in the Phoenix Simulator Flight School. Because they are flown close to the ground don't take them for easy. Close to the ground magnifies every stick movement and mistake.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:21 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,559 Posts
Thank you Noble Sir. Which flying field are you using in Phoenix?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:47 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
But don't turn the ground-skimming into a habit.
It's easier, because the altitude remains stable due to ground effect.

In reality you never look down on the heli. You always look up. So that's what you should practise in Phoenix (turn on show sky orientation for the grid, it helps).

Test yourself: Are you able to hover side-in, at eye level, 8 m distant, for as long as you like?
Sounds so easy... fortunately you can practise in the sim...

The '8m' comes from F3C competition rules.
So you should be able to hover over a point 8 m in front of you, looking up at about 60 degrees, if you ever need to convince an F3C dinosaur at your club that you have learned to fly a heli (careful here - a heli over your head is no fun if you aren't used to it - that is exactly the problem....)

PS
>>A question : how long do you fly helis ?
about five years, occasionally competitions (as long as it's fun).
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Last edited by gravityKills; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:00 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,793 Posts
Thanks for the videos and links! Wow!

I have a Trex450 motor/pinion/headspeed flight time question.

It seems for nice casual flight that 2500RPM is about right.
I have two Trex450's now, the second is just about ready to fly.
They are setup just a little differently. I had been using A123 batteries and have now switched to Lipos, 3S 2,200mah batteries.

So here's my two setups:
4400KV motor and 11 tooth pinion.
I had the higher KV motor due to the lower voltage of the A123's

3500KV motor and 12 tooth pinion.

I'm looking to optimize the flight time, aren't we all, and would like any suggestions on pinion sizing.

It appears to me that setup #1 may be better with a 10 tooth pinion but I don't know if that will make a difference in flight time. Doesn't the motor run at the same speed regardless of pinion size? That only the voltage i.e. battery size makes a difference there?

Is their an online calculator or spreadsheet file that can help with this?

On a side note I'm running fixed Endpoints now instead of governor mode. So when I ask for a lot of pitch I assume RPM will sag instead of like in governor mode it would just send more current and try to keep the head speed the same?

Thanks
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,559 Posts
Batteries charged, programmed the 9303. As Jack warned me - it's NOT a MCX

So far, no holes in the walls (or dachshund). Still playing with pitch and throttle curves to try hovering.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:52 PM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,559 Posts
Found part of the problem (one of my co-workers has the same heli).

Swash plate wasn't even close to lever (cool - I get to buy a TOOL!)

Swash plate was WAY low (like 3 turns out to get 0% pitch at 50% stick). I'll be putting 0% a bit lower per Jack, but as delivered 0% pitch was about 77% stick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Long time member, first time post, I am very happy to finally find some good quality information to setup a heli for scale flying!

Thanks to the original poster CaptJac for sharing your knowledge, I have your book on next weeks purchase list

I have two Trex 450's, HK450 & HK600, they all fly very well but are setup as per manual in 3D defaults, I am sitting here at work in the office hanging out for hometime to click over so I can get to the heli pad and try out these new settings!

Thanks again to everyone sharing their knowledge and setups
pagedm is offline Find More Posts by pagedm
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Banked Turns

Last summer was my first time flying a CP heli (MCPX). By the time the cold weather set in I was comfortably flying figure 8's and stall turns. Now that its winter, just been working on the sim. But in the last few weeks I seem to have forgotten how to make a nice clean level LEFT banked turn. My right turns are still pretty nice. What could I be doing? Heli starts into the turn but falls towards the ground. I can complete the turn, but I'm much lower to the ground then when I start. Looks kinda cool, but its not what I'm trying to do. Any suggestions?
Watching the videos a few posts back I don't see much of any rudder being applied. With HH gyros, I thought you still need to give it some rudder.
Jburg is offline Find More Posts by Jburg
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:30 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburg View Post
With HH gyros, I thought you still need to give it some rudder.
In RATE mode the nose will always turn into the direction of flight (when there is no wind) and you can fly perfect banked turns without any rudder. As you become more skillful holding a constant altitude then start practicing the same turns in HEADING-HOLD. This requires coordinated rudder and aileron. Too little aileron and you skid - too much and you slip - often resulting in a stall and dropping out of the sky. If you are practicing on a simulator use a larger heli. The 450 or bigger will let you switch the gyro mode to either HEADING-HOLD or RATE. Micro-helis on a simulator are too small and don't really teach you anything other than orientation near the ground.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:33 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
>> I don't see much of any rudder being applied. With HH gyros, I thought you still need to give it some rudder.

Absolutely. If you don't, you'll come out backwards...
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:27 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,175 Posts
Bump
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Our Day at the Park
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:55 AM
Philippines, Western Visayas, Bacolod City
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
Hi guyz...I just need a little help here:
I am a beginner on heli, I have Walkera Master CP, I just notice that the throttle of my transmitter Devo 7 is just about 20% but the heli is increasing the ROTOR SPEED in a high speed w/o touching or moving the throttle. The heli is on the platform, Is it normal?

What is the correct set up of TX for the beginner?
Thanks!!!...
TazArf is offline Find More Posts by TazArf
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:15 AM
LearningFast
United States, LA, Denham Springs
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Here is the online calculator! Been through the research myself. I now use a 3450kv with an 11 pinion to keep the head speed low (around 2600 avg) while keeping the motor rpm high. Less resistance equals less heat. For a 4400kv, a 10 would put you at 3000 head speed avg. I had a 4400 in with a 13 pinion and it was too fast. Hope this helps!

http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/calc.htm
Ken59 is offline Find More Posts by Ken59
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:05 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazArf View Post
Hi guyz...I just need a little help here:
I am a beginner on heli, I have Walkera Master CP, I just notice that the throttle of my transmitter Devo 7 is just about 20% but the heli is increasing the ROTOR SPEED in a high speed w/o touching or moving the throttle. The heli is on the platform, Is it normal?

What is the correct set up of TX for the beginner?
Thanks!!!...
TazArf, there is a dedicaced thread for the Master CP here :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664447
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Closed Thread