HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
I'd like once again to thank Capt. jack for the free booklet on helis he has provided.
I've read it cover to cover, repeatedly, and it's still like reading sumateran poetry, in greek....
No fault of the capt....I'm just naturally thick.
I cannot get the hang of this rotor flying lark.
Honeybee king 2...As far as I can make out, I have it setup correctly.
Flybar. straight and level. Pitch, checked. Dx6i pitch , set. All checked with pitch guage..check. HH gyro engaged...
so why, when I put on the power, does it drift right...then left...more power to get out of the downwash, then wanders over the sky needing constant correction?
At least with fixed wing, forwad is forward, not forward, move right, move left, then move far right 'cos I've over corrected yet again!
So far, this has cost me many times the original price in spares.
I have tried with the advice given, but I'm a gnats hair away from giving up...
Anyone on the site from Huddersfield, who knows what they're doing, and could help, hands up!
Thank you.
Chris.
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
Brutus1967
I learned on FP, and I still have two FP helis that I sometimes hover in the back corner of my apt parking lot, and take to the park along with the 450.
After some trial and error (and fine tuning) I settled on my current curves because the 450 hovers at about the same stick position as the FP birds. As my skills and flying style improves or changes, my settings will probably change as well. But for me, at least right now, consistancy is important.
But again, I'm not saying 0 at midstick is THE right way. New guys would be much better served to learn from CaptJac than from me.
I am not saying you are doing something terribly wrong....

Just this: it does not really matter if your other heli's lift off at approx the same stick setting (FP does not even have a fixed take-off setting, it changes as the battery gets depleted). It is human nature to very quickly adjust to that: Everybody can more or less drive a car regardless of how much horsepower is under the bonnet or regardless of how deep you have to depress the accelerator to get moving at the traffic light, agreed? So don't worry, you will very quickly "recalibrate your brain" to midstick lift off for that one helicopter without really influencing your abilities with your FP helicopters. But in order to get this "automatic recalibration" you should expose yourself to it, not protect yourself from it, otherwise you'll never learn.

So just try it, and I can promise, you will like it a lot more than your current curves, and you will more so like it, as our skills improve.

Why? Well, as it is, now you have a "bump" in your pitchcurve at 0 degrees. Most likely, you are not yet making use of the full pitch range, so you are not hindered by this bump. So no real reason to change something that does not bother you, isn't it?
With progression of skills however, chances are, you will make use of a bigger part of the pitch curve, pass this bump, and you will start noticing it as one of your helicopters small nasty habits. And that is at least one nasty habit that is completely unnecessary...

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
Capt jack, first of all i would to thank you for this topic.i just bought a blade 450 3D and using a DX6i, but i had no intention of doing a stunt or some inverted flying. i am more on scale or realistic flying like hovering and flying around. i'm just wondering if i can set up my 450 3D just like my 120 SR?
lightfighter363 is offline Find More Posts by lightfighter363
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Wendouree
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter363 View Post
Capt jack, first of all i would to thank you for this topic.i just bought a blade 450 3D and using a DX6i, but i had no intention of doing a stunt or some inverted flying. i am more on scale or realistic flying like hovering and flying around. i'm just wondering if i can set up my 450 3D just like my 120 SR?
You would be best off to just follow the guide given in the first posts and it will fly close enough and probably better. It will never be exactly the same.

The 120 SR is a Fixed Pitch heli with a 45 degree offset head, and motor driven tail.
The 450 3D has a 90 degree flybar and belt driven tail. So even if you set it up with a fixed pitch curve it would not feel the same due to the mechanical differences in the head and tail setup
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter363 View Post
Read through all the pages in this thread - it should help to answer your question in regards to setting up pitch and idle-up. You might also want to read Don't Touch the Controls and by all means Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQs 102 as it details the how and the why in a simple to understand question and answer format.
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Read through all the pages in this thread - it should help to answer your question in regards to setting up pitch and idle-up. You might also want to read Don't Touch the Controls and by all means Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQs 102 as it details the how and the why in a simple to understand question and answer format.
yeah, i'm trying to set up my pitch with a eflite pitch gauge. i did the +3 center on both blades, but then when i tried the +8 high stick my center move. i am so sorry for being noob.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:15 AM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
Quote:
just order the book.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:18 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Jun 2012
60 Posts
Great thread.

I am 2 batteries into my first cp heli (Titan E325) after playing with a Blade 120SR and pheonix sim.

Was only using 1 flight mode, but will setup some settings similar to the first post. Might have ruined myself already by expecting to kill the throttle by lowering collective alone, need to work on the throttle hold!

Agree 100% about the idea of starting in non 3D mode, I just don't get 3D (yet)
brones is offline Find More Posts by brones
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:46 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brones View Post
Might have ruined myself already by expecting to kill the throttle by lowering collective alone, need to work on the throttle hold!
You aren't alone with that problem. Once your brain is wired to slam that left stick down when you having one of those - it almost impossible to rewire it. You can consciously think about it, but when your helicopter diving into the ground your conscious mind is taking cover and your unconscious mind is hitting the stick so hard it denting the bottom of the radio.

The throttle-hold switch on a DX7 is not programmable and is located about as far away as it can get - mind as well be in Kansas by the time you find it. I rewired one of the other switches so I have 2 throttle holds and this one got a big red knob on it that at least my fingers can find but that only after the heli has flattened itself into the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
370 Posts
Where is the switch located on the DX7? I have a DX6 and i keep my first finger resting on it all the time( fly with my thumbs ). I have gigantic paws though.
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
I love this advice and it makes pitch so much easier to control. I setup my nano zero pitch center just to see if I could flip it. So hard to control height that way.
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Jun 2012
60 Posts
Have now programmed a second flight mode on my DX8 (one left to setup at some stage) and hovered with a flat throttle curve and non 3D pitch curve, was a lot easier to control, and a lot more responsive.
I set the throttle to 70%, as 80% just felt way to fast for where I am at now??
I haven’t had to kill the throttle yet, so the first time I need to do that could be interesting.

That makes 6 batteries, no crashes! (Will probably crash now)
brones is offline Find More Posts by brones
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,624 Posts
Quote:
The throttle-hold switch on a DX7 is not programmable and is located about as far away as it can get - mind as well be in Kansas by the time you find it. I rewired one of the other switches so I have 2 throttle holds and this one got a big red knob on it that at least my fingers can find but that only after the heli has flattened itself into the ground.
Interesting, as I did have a choice with my DX-7, but it is the original DX-7, not the newer ones. I have it set to the Aux-2 switch, which, on the heli version, sits right above the cyclic stick. I fly with thumb and forefinger pinching the stick, and the middle finger loosely hooked around the Aux-2 switch. Only took about three flights with my original 450-SA to get using throttle hold down. It has helped save the SA, the Swift, the HK-450 from certain destruction on many occasions.

Great thread, by the way.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
Interesting, as I did have a choice with my DX-7, but it is the original DX-7, not the newer ones. I have it set to the Aux-2 switch, which, on the heli version, sits right above the cyclic stick. I fly with thumb and forefinger pinching the stick, and the middle finger loosely hooked around the Aux-2 switch. Only took about three flights with my original 450-SA to get using throttle hold down. It has helped save the SA, the Swift, the HK-450 from certain destruction on many occasions.
Great thread, by the way.
Commercial pilots and private pilots use a written check list before take off to assure every step is performed. I go through a 4 step mental check list before connecting the battery.

Step-1
- Throttle to zero
Step-2 - BOTH throttle-hold switches to ON - this assures even if I bump one of the throttle-hold switches to OFF (which I've done more than once) it can't spin up.
Step-3 - Flt-mode to NORMAL
Step-4 - gyro mode switched to heading-hold.

Battery connect: Wait for initialization to complete.

Step-1 - Set throttle to 1 notch under center stick - this sets the collective pitch to 3 degrees.
Step-2 - Toggle gyro switch from heading-hold to rate-mode back to heading-hold. This removes any offset on the tail-rotor pitch from moving the helicopter to the heli-pad.
Step-3 - Switch first throttle-hold to OFF (the emergency OFF switch).
Step-4 - Start 6 minute timer.
Step-5 - Switch second throttle-hold to OFF (ignition enable) - this starts the spin-up. The 1 notch under center stick is full throttle (85% on the throttle curve) and spools up in 4 to 5 seconds. Both hands on sticks during spin-up in case of unexpected yawing or tipping.
Step-6 - Switch Flt-mode to ST-1 - this only changes the throttle curve not the pitch curve. The throttle curve is still 85% but it is now flat at all 5 points. Left stick now controls only the collective. The only way to shut off the throttle is with the throttle-hold switches.

By mentally going through this check list each time I'm hopefully programming myself to grab that emergency OFF switch. Hooking my finger around the switch doesn't work for me - my fingers are too busy working the collective and they need every movement they can make.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
DX6i Beginner Settings for Blade 450 3D

Hi Capt Jac,

I am new to flying Helicopters, and probably bit off more than I could chew starting out with a Blade 450 3D, but I like a good challenge. I am not really interested in 3D flight at this time. I just want to fly scale and get this heli off and back on the ground in one piece. Can't read enough information about flying these things. There is so much good stuff out there, and when I hit this site, I found a gold mine. On that note, I put together an excel spreadsheet with the settings for Intermediate and Advanced for the Spektrum DX 6i, but then added a couple columns, one for Beginner and Simulator Settings. I would appreciate it if you would kindly take a look at the spreadsheet, and the cells that are highlighted in green, could you put the values in there you feel would assist a beginner such as myself in achieving a better experience to get started with. I have found some of these settings scattered around, but thought this would help everyone in the future with a one stop shop setup for this heli and the DX6i. The settings would be for non-3D flight in the Beginner column.

Thank you

Mike
Chopped Salad is offline Find More Posts by Chopped Salad
Last edited by Chopped Salad; Oct 13, 2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Forgot some information
Closed Thread