SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Great thread! Should be read by all.....
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Yup

Good post! Thanks for the insight into scale power and pitch curves!
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
You mean they don't have this pilot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGu45s1_QPU
That was cool, but the Apache AH64 being a flying tank doing the same stunts is even crazier. youtube for it.. there is a ton of them.

This has some in it
AH-64 Apache - Agility Demo & Firing Rockets (4 min 17 sec)

Apache Helicopter does a loop the loop at Farnborough, 2004 (0 min 23 sec)

PS I'm new to the heli flying and the 3d is neat but I think when I upgrade from my MCPX i'm going to get a scale fuselage for whatever I get. (450 )
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Sep 13, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
I'm still learning my MX450 and one thing I kept hearing when I started with it was people asking if I was flying upside down yet. I don't think 3D is for me and I'm liking the idea of eventually putting a scale fuselage on there.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,178 Posts
Scale models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin3rsAllDay View Post
I'm still learning my MX450 and one thing I kept hearing when I started with it was people asking if I was flying upside down yet. I don't think 3D is for me and I'm liking the idea of eventually putting a scale fuselage on there.
I'm with you. Haven't settled on a model yet but a 450 size scale is what I really want. Maybe even a 500 size but I have no idea yet what scale models are most available and in what sizes. That will decide what size CP I get. If they made a FP FBL 6 channel in a 450 or 500 size, that's what I would probably be looking at. A H-53 would be nice
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hifinsword; Sep 13, 2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I'm with you. Haven't settled on a model yet but a 450 size scale is what I really want. Maybe even a 500 size but I have no idea yet what scale models are most available and in what sizes. That will decide what size CP I get. If they made a FP FBL 6 channel in a 450 or 500 size, that's what I would probably be looking at. A H-53 would be nice
Don
http://www.scaleflying.com/Scale-Hel...ages_c_24.html

I really want one of the UH1 Huey for a 450.. but most 450's are not belt driven anymore ( can be converted though )

I actually have a 450 Tarot on the way I may have to conver the tail and get this for it at some point. http://www.scaleflying.com/UH1-B-Fib...uct_p_786.html
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,178 Posts
Scale fuselages

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
http://www.scaleflying.com/Scale-Hel...ages_c_24.html

I really want one of the UH1 Huey for a 450.. but most 450's are not belt driven anymore ( can be converted though )

I actually have a 450 Tarot on the way I may have to conver the tail and get this for it at some point. http://www.scaleflying.com/UH1-B-Fib...uct_p_786.html
Thanks a bunch for that link. I haven't got time to sort thru them all yet but it's great to know something is available out there. Good to know a belt drive is probably what I'll need. I had planned to get a belt drive vs TT because of the repair headaches and expenses for a beginner learning to fly a CP. I want to buy it that way rather than get the kit and convert.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
The Netherlands, UT, Nieuwegein
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
Hi, should a beginner start flying barless ? this because a real heli have no bars to. So would this be to difficult or even easyer to start ?

Thnx. Emin
eminemin is offline Find More Posts by eminemin
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminemin View Post
Hi, should a beginner start flying barless ? this because a real heli have no bars to. So would this be to difficult or even easyer to start ?

Thnx. Emin
This is a tricky one. Flybarless makes for a less complicated head setup, and less to break if you crash. But depending on the Flybarless contoller you get with it, it can be harder to program the controller than it is to set up a mechanical fly bar.

Flybarless is definitely the future, but it is only just becoming something more common now, and is still only a young technology.

Of course one handy feature of most decent FBL controllers is the ability for a semi or full Auto-Pilot type system, which can be turned on mid flight if you lose control, possibly saving you from imminent crashing.
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
I never flew barless but i am more en more drawn to that idea, hear that its improves your controlles over the heli to.

Is it a improvement to fly with bars ?
Its a young technology ? isn't flying barless in use by real heli's for ages now ? and isn't it a just a matter of copying this in to smaller proportions ?

Edit :

I read on a site the advantages for barless, you can not go wrong how its explained or to good to be treu ? :

•Longer flight times.

•Big increase in power.

•Great stability in wind.

•Less mechanical setting on head.

•Very stable but at the same time has much more responsive and agile and faster.

•Use lower power motor and battery pack with the same power output due to great reduction of drag from the removal of the old flybar system.

•Less rational mass in the head, gives higher rotational speeds (while maintaining safe loads), longer flight times (less rotational energy) and tune-ability

•Way better operation in windy condition, longer flight times, more power.

•Crashes better- no flybar to untangle
Last edited by eminemin; Sep 14, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
762 Posts
Quote:
Is it a improvement to fly with bars ?
Its a young technology ? isn't flying barless in use by real heli's for ages now ? and isn't it a just a matter of copying this in to smaller proportions ?
It's young for RC Helicopters. Full Scale helis cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. These little birds only cost a few hundred. In order to make the technology affordable is only very recent.

The points you listed are all very good points too. Just remember a FBL heli will cost more than the FB equivalent.
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
Thanx,

The problem is that i live in holland and there is much wind here most time of the year, fly now with a f45 and the wind have to much grip on it and looks more like a rollercoaster how i have to controll it just not to lose the heli.

Like to see 3d flying but i reather fly it more realistic and have more controll.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:43 AM
United States, IL
Joined Jun 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Ramp up to 80 with the first couple of steps - 0,30,50,80,80 - that will make the window for your switch-over a little narrower so you may want to adjust the pitch curve so lift off is a couple notches higher than center-stick.
Tried your original suggested settings on my Genius CP and it did nothing. Wouldn't even get off the ground. ????

Seems like your pitch curve is too low. That being said, I'm with you on the 3D thing. I like the nice scale flying and scale bodies etc. Gonna try tweaking up your curve gradually and see what happens

Glad I stumbled across this post. Getting tired of 3D talk. I even prefer to see the big 3D machines like Goblin, Trex, etc., flying scale.
Fuzzyguy is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzyguy
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, MI, Flint
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
I can't wait until I can get a DX8 and the new Blade Nano Heli. I want to transition into Scale flying and I think the Nano will be a great indoor beginning step.

This thread is really such an inspiration. I personally think most 3D flying I have seen appears to be the pilot is always just one split-second away from losing total control and that is why the heli is bouncing back and forty. Or in other words, it doesn't look natural at all.
vsanch24 is offline Find More Posts by vsanch24
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Thanx,

The problem is that i live in holland and there is much wind here most time of the year, fly now with a f45 and the wind have to much grip on it and looks more like a rollercoaster how i have to controll it just not to lose the heli.

Like to see 3d flying but i reather fly it more realistic and have more controll.
If you haven't already, try the WLToys V929. I have some of these and since it's regularly quite windy here I fly the V929 very frequently in winds up ~40-50km (NOTE: It's not as much fun in big winds but you can fly it). Various people tell me this is a good stepping stone to CP helis.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread