Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
will any new i5 laptop run Pheonix or RF6

The Pheonix flight sim package says you need "ATI Radeon 9800/NVidia Geforce Ti4200 with at least 128MB memory or better" in order to run the program. Most laptops don't come with that. I called Pheonix, and they couldn't give me an answer. Who runs one of these flight sims on their laptop? what kind of graphics do you have? Would any new Dell/HP $800 laptop with an Intel i5 processor and 6gb ram run these programs? I think most new laptops come with an Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics...is that good enough? I'm about to get a new laptop, and I want to make sure it will run one of these software sims.
mcg526 is offline Find More Posts by mcg526
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Phoenix should run really well on that setup. It's not as much of a resource hog as real flight. I have run it on an old Toshiba and it worked ok
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,993 Posts
Yeah, either should work, but phoenix will run better.I have it on my "shop laptop" which is a 7 year old sony...runs just fine, just had to lower a few settings and didn't even notice much difference in quality.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old May 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, OH, Akron
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
HD 3000 is an on board graphics chipset. This will be fine for the older phoenix simulator, but for real flight a dedicated video card will work a lot better. On board graphics share memory with the rest of the computer and are quite a bit weaker than a dedicated graphics card.

Simulators are a close to video games in terms of the computer requirements. So for a simulator the processor (Core 2, i3, i5, etc....) is less of a concern than the video card.

The ATI 9800/ Nvidia Ti 4200 refer to old dedicated graphics cards. Those cards are about 10 years old.

Real Flight 6 system requirements are listed as
3D Accelerated Video with:
32 MB Dedicated Video Memory
Full DirectX 9 compliant (Shader Model 2.0 or better)

So the hd 3000 should be able to fulfill this requirement. Granted it does not have dedicated memory.
For optimal performance they recommend
3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory
This refers to a dedicated graphics card. Such as the dell xps series that use a NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M.

So what it boils down to is the hd3000 should be able to run real flight with the graphics on low and possible frame rate drops (Occasional stuttering), but with a dedicated graphics card the graphics can be set to a higher setting and resolution. For Phoenix the graphics requirements appear to be low enough the onboard graphics should be more than sufficient.
ih8nixon is offline Find More Posts by ih8nixon
Old May 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,256 Posts
I had to install a better video card to run certain funtions on Real Flight....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
red fish

mcg,
Did the Phoenix sim run on the graphics card you described? I am looking at a Dell with the Intel HD graphics card that comes with it.
Thanks ,
Henry
red fish is offline Find More Posts by red fish
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:41 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
975 Posts
I have an Intel i5 based system with on-board graphics. Phoenix seems okay with stock settings, Realflight is a little 'jerky' as has been mentioned. If you want it all, look for a laptop with Nvidia dedicated graphics, but be prepared to pay quite a bit more.
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData