SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
Help!
Scratchbuilt Rocket Jet

Okay fellas, I need some help from some serious rocket guru's!

About 10 years Ago I used to be heavy into model rockets, mainly just Estes. I also started flying RC. At the Time I flew many foamy wings, such as the original ZAGI. One weekend I took a worn out wing, discovered that a D rocket motor weighs the same as the electric motor. No shop in town had any capped engines so we had to use a D. For the blast we used a U shaped duct that shot the parachute blast out the side.

I flew it in ridge lift as a sailplane, and simply took the motor leads, added aligator clips, and used the throttle to advance the voltage till it fired the Estes motor.

It is time to build a new one. more power, more thrust, more speed.

However I have no Idea where technology is at in rockets these days.

Are there fairly inexpensive fuel rockets available? This would be the best scenario as I would be able to use "blasts" of power, as in about 1-2 second blasts 2-3 times.

OR is there any kind of more powerful (more than a D, preferably more than an E) that would produce considerably enough thrust to power an aircraft that hold 3 E rockets, which I can set on 3 different ignition settings.

Please help me fellas!
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Sounds like a pretty ambitious project, cool. You can legally fly up to 160 newtons in any combination before requiring certification through one of the rocket associations. That can be up to 4 Es, 2 Fs, or 1 G. Unfortunately no liquid motors suitable for this project are available. Using reloadable motors is the least expensive way to go but the up front cost for motor cases can be a bit. There are long burn motors up to 8 seconds for RC use in E6. Fsomething, G12 sizes. Most all else is under 4 seconds burn.

Google Aerotek and Cesaroni and check them out.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old May 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
On the other hand its not too ambitious! It is the same concept I have already done with my Zagi years ago. However faster, longer flights. Wonder how I could use a couple F or G rockets on different igniters for longer flights?

anyone know how badly it would have adverse yaw if I had 3 rockets fashioned as closely as possible in a triangular fashion? and only ran ran at a time? it would only be about 1cm or so off of center.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:24 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Wonder how I could use a couple F or G rockets on different igniters for longer flights? .
Thats the ambitious part. Working out how to sequentially ignite by RC.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old May 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Thats the ambitious part. Working out how to sequentially ignite by RC.

Richard
That's the easier part. The hardest part is figuring out where and hoe to mount multiple rockets that won't have adverse consequences to straight flight