HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
225 Posts
NCC - East Coast 12 - Report

NSWRYA EC12 Championship - Congratulations to Glynn Pulling 1st, Paul Clarke 2nd and Neil Webb 3rd

I would like to thank all who helped out, without support from volunteers events like this donít hap-pen.

QLD state championships have been postponed until further notice.

I have been working on dates for a traveler's series. This set of events is aimed at getting more boats together at one location and to spin a yarn or two. This has been delayed waiting on confirmation of club events hopefully it will be announced soon. Nationals hopefully will be announced soon present plan is for early March at Tuross Heads.

Note on EC12 Rules as there has been a limited amount of correspondence no one has come forth giving advice great idea or bad, If we were to change the rules to cater for the NZ, USA and now new boats being built from the USA master mold in QLD the deck measurements become ridiculously changed and throwing the original one design so broad that you may as well go to a box rule.

At this point of time my suggestion is to leave them alone this way the boats produced under the current ARYA EC 12 rule base are controlled. My suggestion is to not change them, give time to see how the new IEC12 performs and go from there.

Anyone organising an event can invite NZ, USA and IEC12 boats to sail it will be up to the organising body to set the guide lines for this to happen, I would suggest that boats meet AR-YA EC12 rules to compete.

Current boat builders as approved by ARYA :

Kevin kevin@hobbywerx.com.au 0409 454591, Rob Rixon and Colin Durran

Colin Durran
Viking50 is offline Find More Posts by Viking50
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
225 Posts
2013 - "MORGAN BLACK - International EC12 Regatta" - AUSTRALIA

Time is running out to get your entry in. Surprisingly, there are only six (6) Australian and two (2) NZ entries, not sure what has happened with the USA and UK.

Notice of Race and Entry Form vide: http://www.ec12.org.au/?page_id=129

NEW CLOSING DATE FOR MORGAN BLACK ENTRIES - The closing date for entries has been brought forward to 14 December 2012. Late entries may be accepted but a late entry fee of A$50 now applies. This is to facilitate organising catering and to ensure we have the number of merchandise articles needed per head. Late entrants may still miss out on some things so get your entry in and paid up as soon as you can. Reference: http://www.ec12.org.au/?p=461
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,368 Posts
Bob

Lets hope the Interest in attending hasn't fallen foul of the Dreaded Economy..

OZ Dollar is strong & visitors may be put off by the high cost of living in Australia..

Their $'s just don't go around as far..

Maybe the Organisers need to wake up & do some Marketing & Promotion. Other than your posts here, haven't seen much being advertised.

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:09 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
225 Posts
John,
As you may be aware the AEC12OA operation is dedicated to support members only and as they are responsible for hosting the Morgan Black, I presume their advertisement is OA members specific!

They (the Executive) have no obligation nor interest for EC12 owners who have elected to remain with the ARYA.

Hope you are feeling better,

Bob.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:15 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
225 Posts
"Breaking News"

The ARYA have determined that National Recognised Class status of the EC12 be withdrawn. With effect 31 December 2012, the National register will be closed!

Similarly, this thread will be closed as of 31 December 2012.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,368 Posts
Bob

Not the greatest news..

But perhaps the only outcome that could come out of the inflexible nature of the IE12 agenda.

I only hope that those on all sides of the argument decide to find some common ground before the class slips away completely.

Lets hope it can stay strong at State Level..

Having compared the US EC12 Rule to the Australia Rule have to say these are closer together than the current IE12 set.

Most US boats would measure under the Australian System with only minor differences & vice versa.

Not sure the IE12 especially without a Hull to measure the Bulb/Keel area..

Cheers
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:33 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
225 Posts
Thanks for your concern John,

EC12 owners not affiliated with the AEC12OA were prepared to enter into meaning discussions as demonstrated by a vast amount of correspondence with the ARYA executive.

The AEC12OA were not prepared to compromise nor enter discussions. As a result, 30+ years of Australian history have gone done the drain, we have let down all those who bought the class to Australia, formed their Association (ECSA) and gained National recognition!

What a disgraceful situation - one that need never have happened!

One would hope common sense will prevail in the years ahead however, until those with an attitude of "Unity or Death" are removed from the class, progress will be hard to accomplish.
Last edited by Viking50; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Bob, it was 30 years in making. Henry
aussiecollector is offline Find More Posts by aussiecollector
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,217 Posts
Looking down the barrel
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:22 PM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
225 Posts
G'day Henry,
Great to have you back on air. I enjoyed our discussion this morning. Have a safe journey to CC and enjoy the day.

Breakwater,
I'm guessing the photo is your completed Dumas. Looks great and enjoy your sailing.

Fair winds and enjoyable sailing,

Bob
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecollector View Post
Bob, it was 30 years in making. Henry
G'Day Henry

And only 3 years to get back to where the Class Once was...

Maybe it's time to get ALL those countries with EC12's to formulate a set of rules SO everybody can compete together.

All it needs is a small increase on some of the Australian Beam stations & allowing for a spread similar to what happens within the US & Aus rules base..

TOO Tight a Tolerance is what is causing some issues with the IE12 Hulls from what I am lead to believe.

The only concern I have with the Australian Rules is the restriction to Australian Mould/Manufacture. Happy with the Beam & Keel Measurement & I think if it measures then it should be allowed no matter which country it comes from.

Compromise & Flexibility on all sides will see the class rise to its' former glory in Australia.

Lakes in WA are weeding up quite regular as councils reduce their Parks Maintenance Budgets. So the class may have a new state to consider.. Canterbury J's are in residence already...

Cheers

John
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
As one of the original EC12 hull manufacturer's in Australia it is sad that the deregistration has as a national class has happened.

I got the original mould from Max Lewis back in the early 80s and produced hulls under the Lakesedge name as that was the name of my company at the time.

I was away from model yachting for some years trying to deplete the bank ballance by motor racing but have now come back to model yachting. An EC12 is a few orders of magnitude cheaper than even a Formula Vee!

The Lakesedge mould has been rejuvinated and is now ready to produce hulls again. I have, however, just been rejuvinated myself having a hernia fixed up so I cant lift anything till after Christmas. Then I will be ready and able to produce hulls to help rejuvinate the class. Besides I am getting bored doing nothing in retirement!

Kevin H
KevH is offline Find More Posts by KevH
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,368 Posts
Kevin

That is great news & a good bit of history.

Bob

Might I ask that you reconsider & NOT Lock the thread as I think having somewhere to discuss the EC12 in Australia can only help promoting the class & moving things forward...

No doubt the odd rules thing will pop up but that's OK... Open & Informal discussion is always the best way of finding out what people are thinking

Cheers

John

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
That is indeed sad news to hear of the troubles of the class in Australia.
Where does that leave the Morgan Black Trophy Regatta now?

A shout out to Kevin who built my original hull back in 1983 which I used as KZ1 to win the Australian Championship in 84 and again in 85. The boat still exists and sails regularly.

Kevin have you thought of getting the new plug as used in NZL to use to make a new mould so that all the world hulls are the same? Or is that the fly in all the ointment that is causing the troubled in OZ?
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:39 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
225 Posts
What a great please to welcome KevH and CaptainBit to these discussions, I urge both of you to continue and contribute your thoughts in a manner that will aid with recovery of the class in Australia.

It's obvious you have years of valuable knowledge and experience that I am sure, would benefit our current plight subsequently, if you decide to contribute and help us I'll delay closing this forum or better yet, hand over to KevH to keep the ball rolling.

Perhaps a fresh start and a new thread would be a better way forward?

Once again, welcome.

Bob
Closed Thread