HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBit View Post
I think what we need here is one of the Americans with background knowledge to help us with the questions raised. Although I was on the IYRU- RSD IEC12M committee as the NZL representative I do not remember some of the stuff that went on at the time. It is a bugger getting old.

Have to agree with that one...

Quote:
As the class in AUS is not in all states perhaps it is a good thing that the owners association should manage the class and be free of interstate politics.
Initially that was a good idea.. Or so we thought... But the underlying motivation was to Monopolise ALL the manufacture & do away with all past boats by requiring Yearly Membership & Boat Registration. Let Membership Lapse & Boat was de-registered, never to be allowed into competition again.. Don't Join the OA or fail to follow the company line without question & your boat got de-registered never to be allowed to compete again..

Like I said ... OA a Great Idea... Application was up the Creek & will continue to be while the voice is from One Source & all must Obey....

Wrong Personality running the IE12 Mob, IMHO... (AEC12OA is only a name used to confuse with smoke & mirrors)

Quote:
Quite frankly I don`t think most of those here are interested in who whacked who with their handbag first but are happy to assist the future growth of the class if possible.

Quote:

Forget national and concentrate on local recovery. If it looks like a 12 and sails like a 12 then it is a 12. "Run wot ya brung"

Once an EC12 Always an EC12... RULE #1
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Dec 12, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CaptianBit;

That included the EC12 World Championship held in Surfers Paradise in 1986.
Hello Ian,

Could I impose on you once again to elaborate on your experiences during the 1986 EC12 World Championship? This is fascinating history that deserves to be recorded and preserved.

Regards,

Bob.
Viking50 is offline Find More Posts by Viking50
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainBit;

I feel the loss of National status in Australia is not that bigger deal. In New Zealand we have never had the support of the NZRYA and so the owners association has always kept their own register and run their own affairs. As the class in AUS is not in all states perhaps it is a good thing that the owners association should manage the class and be free of interstate politics.
Ian,

I agree with John's comments however, I feel it's necessary to add other circumstances: Firstly, the ARYA management (in my experience) has been adequate, it's easy for anyone to say they could have done more but that also applies to every class. In past, we have been fortunate to have the support from two ARYA Presidents (that I know of) and a National Secretary who's efforts have been well documented in previous posts, needless to say, as owners we owe a debt of gratitude for their efforts.

The original concept to form an Owners Association provided a new beginning and an opportunity to participate in our own affairs as it did in NZ. It was also felt, our involvement would reduce the workload on the ARYA and cement a greater future in comparison to existing ARYA Classes. As you are aware, the OA process included procurement of a new mould from the USA that would "enable Australia to be part of the EC12 Class standardization process".

At this stage, everyone was onboard and supporting the OA, including provision of financial support. Then the boom lowered following a posted release of the OA intention for the future (I should clarify; the intention of one individual) and from that moment forward, owners started to questioning certain aspects of the grand plan and seek clarificion of numerous grey area's. What followed defies comprehension and acceptability but shall remain an ugly part of document history.

To that end the majority of owners are satisfied to remain under the management of the ARYA structure and operate from State and Territory councils.

An owners association remains feasable and perhaps in years to come (and with new management), we will all enjoy an organisation that promotes respect for all owners and supports the goal of "what is best for the future of the class".

With the assistance being offered, I am confident the rebuilding process will be achievable and we can all move forward in the best interest of the Class.

Regards,

Bob.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:52 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainBit:

Although I was on the IYRU- RSD IEC12M committee as the NZL representative I do not remember some of the stuff that went on at the time. It is a bugger getting old.
Gents,

Can anyone elaborate on the history of the IYRY - RSD IEC12M era?

When was International status gained?

When did International status end and for what reason?

What Countries participated?

Who was the Australian representative?

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bob
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking50 View Post
With the assistance being offered, I am confident the rebuilding process will be achievable and we can all move forward in the best interest of the Class.

Regards,

Bob.

Bob

I tend to agree with you on most parts..

The one unfortuate thing I find is the Deafening Silence of the AEC12OA Executive...

They clearly have an AGENDA at hand that they don't want anybody to know about...

From their own constitution....
In furtherance of these aims, the Association shall;
(a)Promote the IE12 as a one design radio controlled yacht;
(d)Act as the Sole Australian authority on all matters concerning the IE12 including; rules, measurement, national and state events, etc;

(e)Standardize all future new build hulls in Australia by owning and making
available a hull mould formed from the US IE12 Class Master Mould;

(f)Work with other IE12 national associations, toward the IE12 becoming an international class with a single set of rules;

(h)Support the "Grandfathering" and continued sailing of all current and previously ARYA registered hulls in Australia.

Perhaps I could deal with these points

A) IE12 so not an EC12

D) Sole Authority for IE12.. Once again not an EC12 so not an issue there.

E) US IE12 Mould... Didn't know the US had IE12's

F) IE12 National Associatioons... Didn't think there were any... Even ARYA does not recognise teh IE12 as a National Class & Its a long way off consideration as an International Class..

Seems Dillusional to me...

H) Granfathering Boats... Confused what needs to be Grandfathered when this is IE12 & all Boats are supposed to be equal no matter the age.

Hulls #1 & #2 haven't been issued with Registration Certificates yet..

Sad part is the Silence of the AEC12OA process only goes to prove their Agenda to destroy the EC12 Class within Australia so they can then take the mantle in Australia & attempt to rewrite history.

What I find absolutely silly is teh ARYA actually have considered a NON-ENTITY in deciding the status of the EC12..

The IE12 has never met ONE CONDITION of teh Australian EC12 Rules and has actively sought to disrupt any & all endeavours to include the Hull into the Austrlian fold..

It appears to me teh ARYA have acted a little wrongly purely to distance itself from teh ongoing dispute.. Instead tehy simply needed to endorse teh current EC12 Rules they oversee & instruct the QRYA to inform the AEC12OA they are required to meet the EC12 Class rules within Australia & unless that is met their involvement and/or representation of teh EC12 Class within Australia would not have their support nor recognition.

From there the Onus is on the IE12 Mob to find a way to be included, not be objectionable to everything put forward.

It appears to me the ARYA has rewarded the IE12 mob for their disruption of the EC12 class..

Having said this I still believe Self-Determination is far bette rthan Interference by a body taht has little knowledge nor interest in the EC12 Class...
Last edited by waboats; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:52 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
G'Day John,

All valid points that can only be resolved by the AEC12OA for now; the ball's in their court. Sadly, and with the help of a load of bad advice, they have backed themselves into a corner and there is no room to negotiate an outcome without significant change!

Concern should also be associated with their decision to use "International" to prefix the designate for their production hulls. This may prove costly in more ways than without authority from the IRYA. And as you have pointed out, no other Country supports a class designated as an IE12.

The AO should also be aware that if another State or Territory makes the decision to procure a current standard EC12 mould from the USA, the AEC12OA and their Constriction will have no relevance what so ever! The gate is open and the horse has bolted!!!!!!!!!

Regardless, the ARYA have made their decision based on a the developments that have resulted in a "No Win Situation" and despite last minute efforts by the NCC in lodging a proposal for a twelve month postponement to allow a selected committee to investigate and implement procedures that would resolve the issues, their decision remains final!

I am sure everyone is in agreement, the decision need not have been made but it has and we must Move On.

All the best, Rock on 2013,

Bob.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking50 View Post

The AO should also be aware that if another State or Territory makes the decision to procure a current standard EC12 mould from the USA, the AEC12OA and their Constriction will have no relevance what so ever! The gate is open and the horse has bolted!!!!!!!!!

Regardless, the ARYA have made their decision based on a the developments that have resulted in a "No Win Situation" and despite last minute efforts by the NCC in lodging a proposal for a twelve month postponement to allow a selected committee to investigate and implement procedures that would resolve the issues, their decision remains final!

I am sure everyone is in agreement, the decision need not have been made but it has and we must Move On.

All the best, Rock on 2013,

Bob.

Bob

But the whole agreement made between Mr M, MR H & Mr W in US was the OA would be the Monopoly in OZ.. (I hate acronyms ). So they could ensure every other mould & supplier was destroyed & put out of production. Only work available for the Mates & prices are based on whatever they want to charge & decide who can compete & when a Boat is available. Mates Rates also apply..

Who Gave these guys the Authority to decide the fate of the EC12 Class in Australia?

They should be held accountable for their actions & if found to be acting outside the Code of Conduct set for Radio Sailing then they should be banned.. It's been done before...

Not sure what the process would be to obtain a Copy of the US Master Mould.

And at What Cost...

Simple & more Viable Option would be to obtain a NZL Boat & Flop a Mould directly off there... Gauges for Keel & Hull could be manufactured to ensure tolerances to Original...

Then have a mould certified for Construction & it meets with OZ EC12 rules once small amendments to the rules are made.

Soultion is the Mould would be Australian Manufacture & Certified EC12...

The Bonus is the IE12 Mould "NOT Certified" would be a Dead Duck... And No Longer needed..

Cost would most likely be minimal & a Boat would also be available for use after the Moulding process..

Cheers

John
Last edited by waboats; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Good points John,

There are a number of scenario's in play at present and I'm sure a workable solution is not far off.

This thread has unearthed valuable information to assist the 2013 era and for now, it has served it's purpose.

Looking forward to 2013.

TTFN,

Bob.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
32 Posts
Ian wrote earlier
Quote:
Kevin have you thought of getting the new plug as used in NZL to use to make a new mould so that all the world hulls are the same? Or is that the fly in all the ointment that is causing the troubled in OZ?
Ian can you confirm that the NZ plug is the same as the US plug? If so I will be willing to make a mould from the plug and produce hulls at material cost plus a little bit.
If we can get the OK from NZ the only other problem would be the cost of getting the plug to Australia and returning it to NZ.

All the best to everyone for the season and lets hope we can resolve this in the new year.

Regards
Kevin
KevH is offline Find More Posts by KevH
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Kevin & Bob

I am close to deciding on an NZL Hull/RTR EC12 New Shape.. I will have to negotiate a Price & availability... Early Days Yet...

My idea is to send to NSW for somebody to Flop a Solid/Rigid Plug & from there do a check measure on a possible Hull/Mould moving Forward...

Then if all goes well the Boat can then be shipped to me in WA...

It may not be one of those designated she'll be right You Beaut Master Moulds but it could meet Aust Requirements with minor adjustments to OZ EC12 rules. At the same time we do away with this Monopoly Idea..

As Bob says there are ways around things when people are willing to consider options that present themselves....

Cheers

John
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Good evening to all,

Following along the above lines of thought..copying, flopping etc isn't this what is not wanted?

For your information the NZEC12OA does not own an EC12 plug it does however own an EC12 mould which was purchased in 2006 from the USA class, fabricated from the master plug previously developed and owned by the USA class.
This developement in the USA as a result of wanting to standardize towards a one design class.

ROD LIDDY
ROD LIDDY is offline Find More Posts by ROD LIDDY
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD LIDDY View Post
Good evening to all,

Following along the above lines of thought..copying, flopping etc isn't this what is not wanted?

For your information the NZEC12OA does not own an EC12 plug it does however own an EC12 mould which was purchased in 2006 from the USA class, fabricated from the master plug previously developed and owned by the USA class.
This developement in the USA as a result of wanting to standardize towards a one design class.

ROD LIDDY
Rod

What is not wanted is a Dictatorial Self Anointed group that refuse to acknowledge ALL EC12 Skippers. And try to do away with all past EC12's.. We even have an original hull here from 1970.. Makes a lovely flower planter.

Ladies G/Father's name is Black... Related maybe..

So if Floppy Mould is the only way forward then so be it... Not an ideal way of trying to get your IE12 Hull into the fold..
  • Isn't this exactly how the current Hull Shape came into being...
I would have thought the proper Channels through the National Autrhority was more appropriate but the Three Amigos decided it better to destroy the class in Australia rather than find an acceptable path to recognising the Mould they claim is a copy of the Original Mould.. Which as we all know it Isn't..

Who is to say a Different Mould is not In Vogue in 15 years time.

Maybe some clarification on the International Standards that were looked into & why it all fell apart would help with the understanding..

We are talking 20 Years since this was mooted & still Australia doesn't recognise the Hull Shape you all want.. Not for the want of trying to help Mr M with his issues..

But as we know this is never about the Boat but about the Total Coontrol..

If Not then why do we hear nothing from the IE12 Mob..
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:16 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2012
85 Posts
EC-12 Genealogy

My agree for EC12 http://home.comcast.net/~ghmyc/image...enealogy_B.pdf

Happy Holidays
Baron Bremer
EC12-81 2010 National Champion
deafsail is offline Find More Posts by deafsail
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2012
85 Posts
Ec 12

The EC-12 is a restricted design radio controlled model yacht class with fiberglass hulls made from near identical molds and otherwise restricted to similar construction. The result is a class of boats with similar speed potential. The goal, as in any good one-design class, is to have the skipper's tuning, tactics, and boat handling abilities determine the outcome.

Also, the class wants the newest boat competitive with the 20-year old models, and equally competitive boats from all manufacturers. A stable class organization and a stable Class Rule has allowed this to happen.

The EC-12 is approximately 5 ft. length over all, 23 lb displacement, and has a 6 ft. tall mast. As the lead-bellied replica of a full size America's Cup 12-meter, this hull shape copied from a 1962 aerodynamic test model, sails like a full-keel boat as opposed to an agile dinghy. However, the Laws of Scale dictate things happen relatively quickly on the race course with model boats. A partial day's racing at a local regatta will easily have 14 starts and many more mark roundings. Tuning, tactics, and concentration are critical to racing success. These boats tune similar to a big boat although, during the race, class rules limit trim to sheets, rudder, and an optional jib boom adjustment called a twitcher.

The heavy displacement full-keel form of the EC-12 differs from most other sanctioned monohull model yacht racing classes which are a much lighter hull design using long fin keels with bulbs for ballast. The lighter designs are faster, in most conditions. They also can be weed-catchers, restricting where you sail, such as in the Seattle area, with a milfoil weed problem. Weeds are not a problem with EC-12's, and they perform well in the light winds we often find near shore. They also are shallower draft than the typical fin keel design, although depth is usually not a concern.

Across the country from Florida to Washington state, EC-12s are actively raced all 12 months of the year. As of Feb 2002, One hundred an seventy one current AMYA members own EC-12 boats and over 1450 boats have been registered since 1971. The annual U.S. National Championship is well attended by sailors from across the country. This is organized racing with an emphasis on friendly competition. Newcomers are welcome and there is healthy willingness to share go-fast ideas.

The class is well supported through various forms of documentation and plans, all readily available to the new skipper

EC12 EARLY YEARS
Updated from an article by Rod Carr.

The original design which became the East Coast 12 Meter was a Charles Morgan design #2770. Nicknamed Eagle, the design was prepared circa 1962-63 and made into a 9/10" = 1' scale model for aerodynamic testing. The design was never considered for full size construction as a potential defender of the 1964 America's Cup, but was use to study ways of reducing the troublesome quarter wave produced from older designs. As originally conceived, the hull form was similar to Constellation and showed a reasonably full fore body, with only limited reduction in the forefoot. A "spoon" bow is shown in the original drawings, but the snub nose was extended out to form the somewhat more graceful shape we recognize today, probably by Buddy Black, who used the aerodynamic model as a plug for making the first fiberglass molds.

Of the hulls which came from that first mold, hull number 25, later called Flame, was eventually used to produce secondary molds. Production of hulls for R/C racing started in Florida and are reported in publications as early as 1968. In the late 60's, John Reynolds of Orlando, Florida began production of hulls in concert with Buddy Black. One set of molds migrated to the Washington, D.C. area in 1970, just as the American Model Yacht Association (AMYA) was forming. A few hulls were produced by Charles Black, brother of Buddy, and then the mold was consigned to Rod Carr of Chevy Chase, Maryland who began production of bare hulls doing business as Carr's Boatyard. Early efforts in organization of the class for racing accepted a number of models all of approximately the same size. Such hulls as the Hartman Olympia and Jacobson's Regatta One-Design were gathered under an umbrella and named the East Coast 12 Meter (EC-12M). The name was chosen to differentiate the approximately 5' long group of yachts from another 12 meter being produced in Newport, California and called West Coast 12 Meter at the time. The 6' long larger California boat was subsequently renamed the Newport 12 and has raced in California as a one-design since that time.

The first EC-12M Class Secretary, Rod Carr, designated Memphis, Tennessee as the site of the first annual Class Championship Regatta to be held in the summer of 1971. The group that assembled was quite a sight. It included models from the Morgan design from Florida, California, and Virginia; Hartman Olympia from Illinois; and a scratch built 12-meter variant from Maryland. When the event was over it had been won by a Morgan hull, but the scratch built one was in second place. The result was a quick coalescing of the membership and the development of a one-design rule which accepted only the Morgan plug related hulls. The manufacturer of the Olympia was assigned status of an authorized manufacturer, and to this day, the hull manufactured by Hartman Fiberglass R/C is physically closer to the original Morgan plug than that of any current manufacturer. The hull retains the fuller bow sections which were part of the original #2770 design. Over the life of the class, additional manufacturers were authorized by the AMYA Class Secretary, and they came and went as such garage operations are likely to do. The notable exceptions have been Hartman Fiberglass R/C, active since 1971, and Dumas Products, a first line model products company who has been a consistent producer and advertiser for many years.

EC-12M Manufacturers:

Hartman Fiberglass R/C: 1971-Present Dumas Products: 1976-Present
Hickman Marine: 1977-Present Robin Yachts: 1980-1983, 1999-Present
Ozmun Design: 1986-Present Brawner Boats: 1999-present
Buddy Black: 1968-1970 Reynolds Manufacturing: 1968-1983
Carr's Boatyard: 1970-1973 Model Yachts and Things: 1970-1978
Leisure Products: 1972-1974 Treasure Tooling: 1975-1978
Cork Sails: 1976-1980 Crump and Associates: 1977-1983
Bob's Boatyard: 1979-1981 William Schell: 1983-1988
Bill Low: 1987-1991 Sailcraft: 1988-1995
Puritan Yachts: 1992-1996 George Ribeiro Products: 1998- 2000
Graves Little Boatyard: 1998- 2000

Through the 1970's the class rules were stable with one notable exception. As originally promulgated, the beam of the hull was stated as a maximum measurement, but the location of the measuring point was not specified. Experiments with different bow configurations were held in Florida resulting in a narrowing of the deck beam dimension in the forward part of the hull. The experiments resulted in the gradual movement of the point of maximum beam aft. About 1973, rule clarifications were accepted that provided for maximum deck beam measurements and tolerances at specific measurement stations. The measurements and tolerances were selected to match the typical hulls being produced at the time, and established the primary control on hull shape as the Treasure Tooling Plug. The Treasure Tooling is the point of departure for about half of the manufacturers today. Thus, some present EC-12M's appear to vary in the deck shape significantly from the original plug. Careful measurements were taken of the variations caused near the water line by this topside pinching. The AMYA EC-12M Technical Committee could find no evidence the hull was distorted at the waterline. It was concluded that the basic underbody remained virtually unchanged. Simply put, the influence of the skipper on the performance of the boat is so huge by comparison to slight variations in hull shape or sail plan configurations, that no one has been able to prove the pinched hulls were faster or slower than the traditional shape. People often thought the early pinched hulls were faster, but that was later ascribed to the fact that the better skippers were more likely to get new boats and hence the skipper was the apparent cause of the performance increase. As of this writing, the issue is of historical interest only.

In 1979, the International Yacht Racing Union - Model Yacht Racing Division (IYRU-MYRD) accepted the EC-12M as the first international one-design class for model yacht racing. In 1986 the IYRU-MYRD requested that rules for all international classes be rewritten in a consistent format, and an EC-12M subcommittee was formed from five countries known to sail the boat (USA, GB, KA, KZ, and KC). A new more restrictive class rule was written for the "International" East Coast 12 Meter, as well as a constitution and by-laws. However, the AMYA membership did not ratify the ICE-12M proposal and compromise efforts also failed. The IYRU-MYRD then adopted the new ICE-12M as a new class in 1990, which lifted sanctioning of the AMYA EC-12M class. Additional efforts to a compromise by a technical committee within the IEC-12M also failed. In 1992 the IYRU-MYRD placed the IEC-12M class on a two-year probation with intention to remove sanctioning unless the issues are resolved.

In the US, we have locally and nationally continued to race under the AMYA class rule through it all.

The effort for an IEC-12M class included the creation of a new primary hull plug with the intention future hulls be built to a tighter tolerance. Existing hulls were to be grandfathered into the new class. In 1989 the IEC-12M technical committee selected the Hartman Fiberglass R/C plug as the basis of the new primary hull plug. This being considered by the IEC-12M technical committee as the nearest existing hull to the original design the class is founded upon. This eventually became the plug the Puritan Yachts mold came from. The name "Puritan" both suggests the strong resemblance to the original design and refers to the Edward Burgess designed Puritan, the 1885 America's Cup defender. The IEC-12M plug is now in Australia.

Tom Jordan somehow agreed to create this new IEC-12M plug. In researching the plug, Tom reviewed the lines of Constellation, the Olin Stephen's 1964 America's Cup defender. Among many characteristics shared by both hulls was the sharp angles or facets extending longitudinally around the keel bottom. However, these were eased somewhat in the final Jordan plug to conform more with existing EC-12M's. When efforts for an international organization stalled, Tom, as Puritan Yachts, submitted his hull to the AMYA and received approval after close scrutiny in 1992. Prior to approval, the gunwale had to be lowered 1/4" at station 20, but otherwise it is a middle-of-the-road yacht relative to AMYA-approved yachts. The newest AMYA-approved hull manufacturer, Puritan Yachts, was actually a chance result of efforts to make the EC-12M an international class. Unfortunately, after only producing nearly thirty hulls, Tom Jordan and Puritan Yachts ceased production. Tom has taken a breather from model yachts, and is pursuing other interests. I hope my friend takes only a temporary break from model yachts.

One result of the IEC-12M efforts was a tightening of the AMYA sail tolerances in 1992. This was one area where consensus was reached between the two groups. Because the racing is closer, there is general satisfaction with the standard or "A"-rig rule that eliminated significant roach area in the main. In 1993 the AMYA revised the requirements for the "B" and "C"-rigs closer to the IEC-12M. Another by product of the IEC-12M influence is the 1995 AMYA rule revision to a standard plug for all new hulls, that brings the class closer to a true one-design. The 1995 new standard class plug is based upon the middle-of-the-road Puritan.

The conversion to the 1995 new standard class plug and the compliance with the existing EC12 Class Rule has been well accepted and new hull suppliers now meet the needs of all skippers, worldwide. Since 2000, the class has seen greater growth as hulls, materials and building help has become readily available. The near future looks bright for EC12.Doug Wotring
deafsail is offline Find More Posts by deafsail
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsail View Post

In 1979, the International Yacht Racing Union - Model Yacht Racing Division (IYRU-MYRD) accepted the EC-12M as the first international one-design class for model yacht racing.

In 1986 the IYRU-MYRD requested that rules for all international classes be rewritten in a consistent format, and an EC-12M subcommittee was formed from five countries known to sail the boat (USA, GB, KA, KZ, and KC).

A new more restrictive class rule was written for the "International" East Coast 12 Meter, as well as a constitution and by-laws. However, the AMYA membership did not ratify the ICE-12M proposal and compromise efforts also failed.

The IYRU-MYRD then adopted the new ICE-12M as a new class in 1990, which lifted sanctioning of the AMYA EC-12M class. Additional efforts to a compromise by a technical committee within the IEC-12M also failed.

In 1992 the IYRU-MYRD placed the IEC-12M class on a two-year probation with intention to remove sanctioning unless the issues are resolved.

In the US, we have locally and nationally continued to race under the AMYA class rule through it all.
Baron

Thanks for the History.

Doesn't really answer what happened..

But reading between the Lines the US went their own way & didn't/wouldn't ratify the International Standards..

So in 1986 (or there abouts) the US broke away.. Or was it the other 4 that went another direction..

In saying this now we seem to require an International Standard but IT MUST be the US Standard..

Why hasn't a working party/committee covering all the accepted international nations (USA, GB, KA, KZ, and KC) brought together to formulate an outcome..

This is what was agreed or so it seems by the Three Amigos...

Would it be fair to say Australia like the USA in 1986 should be allowed to determine its' own standards for the EC12 within Australia..

Prior to this IE12 fiasco in Australia, there was happy competition without the BS & the Bully Boy tactics of Unity or Death. Death is a far better taste than Unity under a Totalitarian Dictatorship..

To take a similar line to the US, throughout the Turmoil of International Sanctioning & Interloping... ..

In the AUS, we have locally and nationally continued to race under the ARYA EC12 class rule through it all

It only took 15 years to go from International Recognition to where it stands now...

Closed Thread