HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
989 Posts
Discussion
Quadcopters...lets keep this hobby safe

I've been reading all the latest posts of accidents with graphic pics and storys, made me nervous of flying. Its putting me off this hobby with the thoughts of what could happen no matter how careful you are, I know this has been said many times before but lets all respect just how dangerous these things can be, its one thing slicing yourself but I just dread to think would could happen if one went out of control and hit someone else.

Just my thoughts on this subject.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
Here are some ground rules:
Don't fly near ANYONE
Always throw a towel or net when disarming and arming.
Take the props off if in doubt.

These are not safe toys. I can't believe I got this far without any cuts.
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old May 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
Yeah very scary stuff but if you think safety first you can minimize your chances of getting hurt.

When testing the quad with the props on for the first time I always go outdoors and tie it down to my mini trampoline. You it is pretty obvious when the quad is not doing what it should and if its tied down there is no where it can go. Only issue is with props flying off, so keep a distance.

Once I think the quad is tamed I try the maiden voyage again from a very very safe distance. once the quad is trimmed and responding correctly to the controls, arming and disarming is the safest practice anyone can take. Even if you are just picking up the quad to move it disarm the device, even if you are only going to relevel it before you take off disarm the device!

One of the scariest moments for me was when I turned off my TX before turning off my quad. Thank god the blades were barley spinning.
vcazan is offline Find More Posts by vcazan
Old May 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdestro0 View Post
Here are some ground rules:
Don't fly near ANYONE
So I take it you don't go to funflies or any sanctioned AMA events? While I agree that you should not intetionally fly over large crowds of people this statement on it's face is a bit much.
I've seen and even been involved with 1/3 scale planes crashing into the pits at funflies. One crashed right behind me on the flight line.
I've been to rodeos where bulls have jumped the fence. I've been on horses that have put me in the hospital. You can't take all the risk out of everything. Even taking a bath has known risks.
I do agree that it would be wrong to fly at people or over crowds but a whole lot of us fly at parks and I'm not going to pack up everything and run off because a few people come by to watch. Around here you would be called "stuckup" or even worse if you quit what you were doing every time someone walked up.
Yes, these things do sometimes go a little crazy but so do other vehicles.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Last edited by randall1959; May 11, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 11, 2012, 06:53 PM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,283 Posts
Well Crash!

Was doing well flying it in the garage and moved out in the yard and started flying around. Lost orientation and dumb thumbed it....LUCKILY in crashed into the roof...on MY roof...just broke a prop and small indentation in shingles....DANGIT!
JediKnight2 is online now Find More Posts by JediKnight2
Old May 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
this statement on it's face is a bit much.
I agree with this. Most multirotors have a range of several kilometers.
I forget the psychology term, but there's something like "risk tolerance", where you become open to more and more dangerous risky behaviour in small steps. I wasn't really comfortable with multirotors, but seeing everyone pushing the limits way more than me on this site I thought I must be too uptight or something. I was working on some kind of prop cage, but was mocked or criticized on here for the idea.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old May 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,408 Posts
I agree the trend is not good. This has been leading in post #1 in a much larger font since January in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index:

Let's all focus on and promote multicopter safety in 2012!!!

--TIP 1 **WARNING!: Be safe! A multicopter with a lipo attached and powered is considered armed and dangerous! Be mindful of the dangers to yourself during the setup process, and to children and adults while flying. Always remove props for initial setup and PID adjustments and test! Securely tie down or attach enough weight to hold the multicopter for the first props on Tx/Rx control tests! Read the Safety Issues section!
--Multicopter Safety threads with accident and injury photos: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144377 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649434

Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old May 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Dec 2007
169 Posts
Quote:
So I take it you don't go to funflies or any sanctioned AMA events? While I agree that you should not intetionally fly over large crowds of people this statement on it's face is a bit much.
I've seen and even been involved with 1/3 scale planes crashing into the pits at funflies. One crashed right behind me on the flight line.
I've been to rodeos where bulls have jumped the fence. I've been on horses that have put me in the hospital. You can't take all the risk out of everything. Even taking a bath has known risks.
I do agree that it would be wrong to fly at people or over crowds but a whole lot of us fly at parks and I'm not going to pack up everything and run off because a few people come by to watch. Around here you would be called "stuckup" or even worse if you quit what you were doing every time someone walked up.
Yes, these things do sometimes go a little crazy but so do other vehicles.
Just be careful when flying it in public area. we are not insured if it hit someone. We could get sued BIG time if that happened.
cougar2465 is offline Find More Posts by cougar2465
Old May 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar2465 View Post
Just be careful when flying it in public area. we are not insured if it hit someone. We could get sued BIG time if that happened.
True enough as is the case with lots of things. We live in very litigious times. I've known people that got sued because their dog bit someone and it wasn't a trivial amount either.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2 View Post
Was doing well flying it in the garage and moved out in the yard and started flying around. Lost orientation and dumb thumbed it....LUCKILY in crashed into the roof...on MY roof...just broke a prop and small indentation in shingles....DANGIT!
Oh it's not just multirotors. I had a weird accident while flying in a friend's yard with a glow powered plane. I was doing loops around his feed line into his home and managed to snag the lower line and flip it over the one above it. I could hear breakers flip down the line so I beat a hasty retreat. Later on I learned that the entire north end of town was without power for an hour........oops.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
True enough as is the case with lots of things. We live in very litigious times. I've known people that got sued because their dog bit someone and it wasn't a trivial amount either.
if you hit someone and cause serious damage or if your dog bit someone and they had real medical bills do you feel like you shouldnt pay for it?

Part of the "litigious times" is that people are jerks..... they deny responsibility and fail to do the right thing..... what is left is for you to use the law.....

sure there are the McDonald's Coffee people, but they are not the norm..... the media likes to focus on those types of stories and make them seem more common then they are.

oh and BTW..... flying a glow plane close enough to a house that you hit a power line and took out a city block....
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 11, 2012, 08:39 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
Quote:
. I've known people that got sued because their dog bit someone and it wasn't a trivial amount either.
And rightfully so.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old May 11, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2004
131 Posts
RC models are not toys, back in 2010, one of our local rc pilot in Kuala Lumpur was hit by a Quickie 40 RC plane, and died. same year , a 4 years old kid in China was hit by RC helicopter , also died.

Multirotors are far more dangerous than RC plane or Heli, hope you guys will handle it with care.
tru168 is offline Find More Posts by tru168
Old May 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Oh there are far more dangerous planes than there are multirotors. A few years ago an AMA safety officer had his leg almost amputated from a CF prop on an IMACC plane.
I knew a guy that had his hand nearly cut off and his heart even stopped on the way to the hospital. I have seen stories of fingers cut off, eyes popped out, arms broken etc etc and this was even before we conceived multis.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
the rotating mass of a large single rotor is much more dangerous than a multirotor..... that being said they are both flying/falling blenders
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275